Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Finally made another appointment

Well, I've been struggling a lot with depression lately. It's led to binge eating, and affected work, and some days when I don't have to work I can hardly get out of bed. Some days I won't even bother showering, just stay in bed all day pretty much. It's just bad.

My doctor has been adjusting my dosages, I finally went back to see her after talking to a counselor for a bit. Well, that counselor didn't work. I stopped going to her. Then I skipped my last doctor's appointment because I was depressed and unmotivated and felt awful about all the weight I'd gained so fast from binge eating and ugh.

My friend has talked me into going back to the doctor, we made a pact, she's going to look for a new counselor (she stopped going to hers too) and I'm going to my doctor. I seriously don't want to, though. I wish I could find a good counselor, the last one was all "well, you just have to start, let's come up with a little step, there's no magic wand" and I know that she was right but when I'm depressed and don't feel like doing anything, saying "well just do stuff!" isn't much help.

Anyway. Think positive thoughts so I don't duck out of this appointment too.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

YEAH for you and your friend.... I'm glad your going to your doctor, it really is a tough decision to make but one that will be sooo worth it. Please let us know how the visit went.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Okay, my friend goaded me into going.

She's keeping me on my Effexor at the lower dosage, since that was controlling my anxiety and the negligible effect on my depression was the same. And she's adding Wellbutrin, just starting with one of the SR tablets in the morning. And offered to refer me to a psychiatrist, but I'm going to try the Wellbutrin first.

I also got a recommendation for a different counselor to try, since my old one didn't work out. Years ago I had to try three different counselors to find one that clicked, so I guess I'll give it another shot.

I'm slowly dosing down my Effexor and then adding in the Wellbutrin so I'm giving it a month to see how it pans out.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #4  

I'm proud of you that you went to the doctor and got something for your depression because no one should be depressed
Shanice Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #5  

I'm proud of you that you went to the doctor and got something for your depression because no one should be depressed
But again I'm glad you went back to the doctor because when people think something is wrong with them they get scared and they don't go to the doctors to see what is wrong with them and you should be brave don't be scared of life
Shanice Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #6  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidstoat View Post
And she's adding Wellbutrin. Years ago I had to try three different counselors to find one that clicked, so I guess I'll give it another shot.
Oh I totally know what what you are going through is like. When I am depressed, I don't shower for days, don't brush my teeth, stay in bed or planted on the couch flipping through the channels or sleeping. It's an awful feeling. That's great that you went to the doctor. It sounds like you are doing the things you need to do to take care of yourself. I was on Wellbutrin years ago and it worked very well for me. I hope you like it and that it helps. Sometimes it takes going through a lot of therapists to get the right one, just keep searching until you find one that clicks. The right one is out there for you! Best wishes.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote