Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/212/140

Height: 5 2"

Default any advice/meds/seeing doc soon!

hey everyone! my name is trish. i have been struggling with severe bipolar disorder for years. i have usually always taken wellbutrin and am on that now (450 mg per day) and also topamax (100 mg. per day) and risperdal (2 mg. per day) - the risperdal is causing weight gain. How is geodon for anyone who has tried it regarding weight gain and as an anti psychotic? does it cause low sex drive? what about abilify? I tried that but i am a writer, and i felt a sort of muscle stiffness. has anyone else felt that as a side effect from abilify, and does it go away? how does abilify stand up in weight issues, and as an anti psychotic, and in sex drive? or does anyone have a different one to recommend?

also, does topamax cause low sex drive? has anyone noticed?

One more thing? my doctor will not prescribe me a medication that i feel i need. he is a new doctor to me as i am in a new area. i need some atavan for anxiety, to be able to take it occasionally when i need it. i particularly don't like the one's that stay in your system every day, that i have to take everyday, like paxil, etc. i know there is valium, and xanax, but he won't prescribe me those either. he had me try atarax, and another one, but they did absolutely nothing for me. he does prescribe me ambien, but that is wearing off and does not work as well for me as it used to. Does anyone know of an antianxiety sort of like atavan that works just as good, maybe something new, that maybe i can suggest?

please let me know all this so i can write it down as ideas for my appointment. thanks a lot! I am excited for the replies. and if anyone has a question for me, i'd be glad to answer as well.

cutejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Hi ! Sorry you are having med issues. Geodon made me very sick. Unfortunately - you can get many opinions and experiences and it may not help at all. I have bi-polar II and anxiety disorder and have gone through so many meds and combos - my insurance must hate me. I use ativan as needed for anxiety when I have breakthrough with the Buspar - it works well for me and I also use it to get to sleep at times. Ambien puts me to sleep but doesn't keep me asleep and my insurance only allows 10 per month. They won't pay for Lunesta which works like a charm for me and is less addicting.
Ativan can cause huge problems if used too much. It is one of the more highly addictive anxiety meds. I have to be very careful to not overuse it - even though I get 60 per month. Maybe you can ask for a small amount - 10 to start ?? MaYbe your doc would feel more comfortable with that. It could be that he/she feels it would be a bad mixture with the other meds you are on - there are so many combos that are bad. It is still an evolving process for me to get the right dosage and combos and from what my psychiatrist tells me - it will be lifelong tweaking.
Everyone is different and unfortunately it is all trial and error.
I hope you feel better soon.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

Height: 5'3"

I took Topamax for a few weeks, had some problems (not related I don't think) and my doc wiped the slate clean and started me on all new meds. I didn't really have any bad effects from the topamax though. At my last visit they discussed the Geodon, maybe they'll put me on that if my weight doesn't start to quit gaining (I'm gaining a ton on Seroquel). Actually they told me that Geodon has much less likelihood of gaining weight on it.

As far as anti-anxiety meds, there is also Klonopin. I've never tried it (I take ativan) but have heard that it works well for many people. And also stays in your system for I believe 8 hours. Good luck finding something that works for you.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #4  
It's a Working Progress

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I have an aunt that is on Geodon for schizophrenia. She's doing great on the meds, but it has caused her cholesterol to sky rocket and gain weight. This might be because she is not active at all. I'm not sure. But I know the meds have really calmed her down.
bnorah is offline   Reply With Quote