Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/165/143

Height: 5"8.5

Default lithium, zyprexa and weight loss

My boyfriend has bipolar disorder type 1 and is currently taking lithium and zyprexa. He's gained weight since being put on them, and feels he's fighting a losing battle to lose that weight. It's a real downer for him, cause he feels that no matter what he does diet/exercise wise, the medications are going to make everything harder, and it has been hard for him. Has anyone else had this problem? Have you lost weight while on the medications? And what about switching from zyprexa to something else? Any thoughts/experiences? Thank you!
Diana the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #2  
Pretty in pink

S/C/G: 274/262/240 for now

Height: 5'2

Zyprexa is supposed to be one of the worst culprits as far as weight gain goes. I'm on Risperdal, which is the same type of medication, and I gained 150 lbs on it in a few years. There are some newer AP meds that aren't supposed to cause as much weight gain -- one that people use often is Geodon. There are also some meds that can be added to counteract the weight gain like Wellbutrin or Topamax. Good luck!
PudgyFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I used to take zyprexa and experienced much the same thing... there are other antidepressants that are much better for weight issues, but i don't think they're specifially for bipolar disorder and i know zyprexa is. as in the above post, i have heard that wellburtin is better for counteracting weight gain, however it's not meant to treat bipolar disorder specifically.

good luck to you and your husband - i hope he finds something that he can work with better.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

Height: 5'3"

I was on a Lithium, anafranil combo for awhile. No problem with weight gain. I would check the other drug out.

Many times a mood stabilizer is used in combination with an anti-depressant in patients with all forms of Bi-polar disorder (I'm one of them). There are so many different types of anti-depressants out there that hopefully his psych will be willing to work with him to find one that not only fills its basic need but also helps him with the weight loss (or at least not sabatoge his efforts). Good LUCK!!!!!
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/165/143

Height: 5"8.5

Thank you everyone for your advice. My boyfriend also says how much he appreciates it We'll have to look at switching AP medication I think.
Diana the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I feel for you both. I have Bi Polar II and severe anxiety and am STILL tinkering with meds. I have tried so many combos. You have to be patient which is REALLY hard when you are feeling so crappy. I hope he finds what works best for him soon. Hugs
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote