Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #1  
I'll think of something

Height: 5'1"

Unhappy Help, Doc Wants Me To Take Paxil

and I don't want to because I know it can cause weight gain. Years ago I gained a lot of weight on Elavil ( 25 pounds in a month ) which took me two years to get rid of. I saw the doctor because I was sick a couple of weeks ago and needed a note to go back to work. (Couldn't get an appointment before today and work wouldn't take me back without one so I've been on a forced vacation.) The doctor had me fill out some forms, learned I had a history of depression and gave me the presciption.

I don't know what to do. I'm struggling to lose weight as it is, I don't need something that's going to make me gain, or at the very least make it harder to lose. But if I don't take it that means I'm being medically non-compliant........
marlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #2  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

Hmmm....I know that it varies from person to person, but Paxil actually made me LOSE weight. It totally killed my appetite.

Maybe you could try calling your doctor back, explaining your concerns about weight gain with Paxil, and see if he could put you on something that you're more comfortable with. After all, it's YOUR body, and you shouldn't have to put something in it that you aren't sure about.
Wildfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #3  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Does it have to be Paxil? my doctor specifically put me on Wellbutrin because its not known to cause weight gain and can even help with loss in some cases... Might want to talk to him about alternatives
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Paxil has made it possible for me to actually get my head in order so that I can get my weight in order. I can focus, plan and follow through now. I've been on it for about 3 years.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #5  

Well, I'm from the anti-med brigade, so I'm a little biased here... but. Have you tried drugfree therapies at all?

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 117.7/63.7/60

Height: 168

Medically non-compliant? Come on now - are you an adult? If so, then any decision about what medication you take is a JOINT one, between you AND your doctor. It's not an order you have to follow. Not to mention, why would the doctor order them just because you have a "history of depression" written on a form?

Did he not ask you how the depression is now, do you feel you need medication at this time, before prescribing something? Did you ask about weight issues with Paxil when you saw that he prescribed it?

I personally found that antidepressant therapy made me able to lose weight, as I was able to get out of bed, exercise, and have the ability to eat properly. But whatever you decide, go back and have a discussion with your doctor - your health is totally your business, and it's not a matter of questioning the doctor, it's just a partnership. Good luck!

*PS: I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm a nurse and I find the viewing of a doctor as someone not to be asked questions of annoying hehe!
pacman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #7  
I'll think of something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfyre View Post
Hmmm....I know that it varies from person to person, but Paxil actually made me LOSE weight. It totally killed my appetite.
I'd feel a lot better about the idea of taking the drug if I knew for certain that Paxil effects weight indirectly, though appetite, or if it actually slows down (or speeds up) the metabulism.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #8  
I'll think of something

Quote:
Originally Posted by augigi View Post
Medically non-compliant? Come on now - are you an adult? If so, then any decision about what medication you take is a JOINT one, between you AND your doctor. It's not an order you have to follow. Not to mention, why would the doctor order them just because you have a "history of depression" written on a form?

Did he not ask you how the depression is now, do you feel you need medication at this time, before prescribing something? Did you ask about weight issues with Paxil when you saw that he prescribed it?

I personally found that antidepressant therapy made me able to lose weight, as I was able to get out of bed, exercise, and have the ability to eat properly. But whatever you decide, go back and have a discussion with your doctor - your health is totally your business, and it's not a matter of questioning the doctor, it's just a partnership. Good luck!

*PS: I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm a nurse and I find the viewing of a doctor as someone not to be asked questions of annoying hehe!
I had to fill out a bunch of forms before the appointment( first time patient). One of them said something about the refusal to take the prescribed meds amounted to "non-compliance of treatment" and could result in being dismissed as a patient. I can't risk that; it took me two years to find a doctor willing to take on a new patient.(Most doctors where I live have long waiting lists.)

The doctor didn't ask me about depression, she asked me how I was sleeping and when I told her I hadn't been sleeping well lately she told me she was going to give me something to help me sleep. Silly me thought she was prescribing some kind of sleep med so I never thought to ask about anti-depressant weight gain.

The reason I went to the doctor in the first place is because I'd been feeling sick for a while, missed several days of work a couple of weeks ago and needed a note to go back to work. Turned out that I've had a low-grade kidney infection all this time, for which the doctor prescribed several different anti-biotics ( The first one made me so sick I had to miss yet another two days of work, and return to the doctor for a different 'scipt and an updated note.).
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/223/130

Height: 5'6

Dont Take It!!!!!!!! I Was On It For Almost 6 Months And It Made Me Feel Like I Was Walking 2 Foot Off The Ground, I Gain Lots Of Weight On It, And When They Took Me Off Of It , I Had The Withdrawals Of A Drug Addict, I Went Crazy Trying To Get It. It Took Almost 3 Months To Stop The Withdrawal Symptoms, I Have Never Drank Or Done Any Drugs In My Life, But That Paxil Was Like I Was A Junkie. I Know Many Friends And Family That This Happened To Also On The Paxil I Suggest You Try Something Else
deebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlu View Post
I'd feel a lot better about the idea of taking the drug if I knew for certain that Paxil effects weight indirectly, though appetite, or if it actually slows down (or speeds up) the metabulism.
I'm not sure it has anything to do with metabolism. I think it's a head thing - your brain tells you you're hungry.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #11  
Restart 10/04/09

S/C/G: 238/223/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have never had any issue with Paxil and weight--but it made my husband gain. Seems like it varies person to person.
LoriPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

I have been on many antidepressants. I don't want to be confrontational but I think it is irresponsible to tell someone to NOT take something. It needs to be a decision between the patient and doctor. By all means offer your personal experiences. I am still struggling with the right combos and dosage and it can take a VERY LONG time to get it right. Unfortunately - you will probably have to deal with side effects that you don't like. It is iperitive that you keep communication with your doctor wide open and immediately report any side effect that you are uncomfortable with.
Whatever you decide try to be patient - it can be a long journey to get the right med. Everyone IS different and reacts differently to each medication.

edit - on the non-compliance issue - I think it is being misunderstood. I am supposed to discuss the meds with my psychiatrist and we both agree to try something. I ask many questions first. If I am NOT taking my meds for a reason OTHER THAN side effect issues - it is considered non-compliance. I see a therapist and that is a totally seperate issue. With the psychiatrist - it is her function within my treatment plan to deal with meds so if I don't take what we discussed it is pointless for her to continue seeing me.

Also - not sure from your post if the doctor you are seeing is a general practioner or someone specifically qualified to deal with AD's. I think it makes a big difference as from MY experience - GP's are not really up on AD's.

sorry to go on.......

Last edited by witchyonadiet; 08-12-2007 at 08:30 PM.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #13  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Elavil is an old-school antidepressant (tricyclic).

Paxil, as well as Prozac and Zoloft, to name a few, are SSRIs, and any drug in this family may cause similar side effects, and they have been known to cause completely opposite side effects in different people. A common side effect is a persistent low-grade nausea, and if you happen to get that one, you probably wouldn't gain weight.

Wellbutrin works differently from the SSRIs so yes, that may be an option instead of Paxil.

It seems a little odd that he's writing a script with what sounds like from your description, very little evidence that you might need it. You might want to consider asking for a referral to a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist can give you an evaluation and also prescribe medication if you decide it can help you.

But please, talk about it with your doctor! Only you and he can make the best decision regarding your treatment.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:23 AM   #14  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

i was on paxil for a while, it made me sweat constantly and i gained a substantial amount of weight. but my friend has been on it for years and has had no ill effects from it. i agree you really need to talk to your doctor about it. it's your body, you have a right to decide what goes into it!
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote