Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/143/125

Height: 5'2"

Default sleeping issues

I have severe sleeping issues and it is starting to make my husband nervous and worried about me. I have had them for about 7 years but they are getting worse lately. I am already on Lexapro and I love it, it really helps with the depression and anxiety. But I still can sleep 14 hours in a row and take four hour naps during the day. lately I just feel like someone is laying on top of me when I try to get up in the morning. I exercise 5 days a week and I am on WW so I feel like I have a healthy lifestyle. I need help...I just want to get up when I suppose to do and live the day instead of sleeping the days away.

Thanks
jkbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I would suggest to go to a sleep doctor - they must have a more official sounding na,e but I don't know it. My sister was exactly like you are discribing yourself and she was watched for 24 hours in a sleep lab. I forget the actual diagnosis but is was not sleep apnia. Anyway, she's on some sort of Ritilan - like for attention deficit hyperactive kids - she now sleeps about 10 hours/night and rarely during the day.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like depression but since you are on a antidepressant and you feel it's working I'd guess it's thyroid or something. Sounds like you need a major workup at your doctor. Good luck and let us know what you find out !!!

Hugs
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I don't have any advice but I have sympathy!! I'm also on Lexapro; I can sleep 10-12 hours a night and yes, have a nap during the day also if given the chance. I have the dubious honor of being able to fall asleep just about anywhere.

My husband doesn't understand or give much empathy, as he can barely sleep 5 hours a night. I think he thinks I'm trying to escape or something, that's not it

I hope you can find help with your zzz's
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I've so been there. Sleeping started taking up so much of my time friends starting listing it as my favourite pastime - sad, eh? Unfortunately I rarely slept well, especially at night.

Anyway, I am now taking effexor in the morning as it is a bit stimulating & trezadone at night as it helps with sleeping. Both anti-depressants. I'm very happy with the results. Talk to your doctor, maybe you need a med adjustment.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This was a major symptom of my fibromyalgia, and before I was diagnosed, I learned that there are alot of disorders that cause this pattern of fatigue (though many doctors are most likely to dismiss it as depression, over and over and over again even if antidepressents have little or no effect until you demand they rule out other diagnoses).

Some of the things they ruled out before diagnosing me with fibromyalgia

sleep apnea (I had it, but the CPAP wasn't completely effective, and when the sleep apnea disappeared when I lost weight, the sleep problems didn't)
restless leg syndrome (I also have and am treating with medication)
narcolepsy
chronic fatigue syndrome
Lime Disease
sleep disfunction (I spend very little time in the deepest level of sleep, not much can really be done about that directly, it seems)
rebound insomnia (people who can't sleep for days and then make up for it)
petit mal epilepsy
anemia/leukemia
thyroid disfunction

Get a checkup with blood work, and a sleep study if possible.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Oopd I ment Lyme disease (maybe lime disease is the opposite of scurvy?)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/183/121?

Height: 5' 4"

I would talk to your doctor about trying a different drug. I was on Lexapro very short term. It was prescribed at a low dose to treat migraines, not depression. I chose to stop it because I had to use every brain cell I had to FORCE myself out of bed in the morning. Not a way to live.
swiminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #9  

Smile Sleep Problems Solved

I would also say see a doctor, maybe two. I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy and Fibromyalgia after several years of sleeping 10 - 12 hours a night and napping during the day with excessive tiredness. I am now on a few night time meds where I only sleep 8 hours a night and take a daytime med to combat the Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. I did a sleep test at at sleep clinic and it is well worth the the time. Also watch your carb and caffeine intake - a least it has helped me. Good luck to you!
candice51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Oopd I ment Lyme disease (maybe lime disease is the opposite of scurvy?)
settie is offline   Reply With Quote