Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #1  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Default Coming off Effexor...

So it's official. I'm coming off Effexor. I hope this doesn't take long because I feel like I"m going crazy already The brain zaps have kicked in big time and I feel a little bit out of control. This is the kind of situation I used to eat emotionally. I don't want to do it this time. I want to stay in control. Eating things when I'm not hungry, that I don't really want or NEED are not going to take the brain zaps away.

I just want to post here because I need a little support. I need to put it out there that I'm in a weak state. If anyone else has been through this and can help me (just give an encouraging word while I'm dealing with it) I would really appreciate it.

I'm all set for the day, there is absolutely nothing unhealthy about my food that I'm taking to work with me... but ... I work at Starbucks HQ and we have a store in our building filled with goodies. I need some strength today. I mustn't run to food to help me this time.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #2  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I've never been on or come off of Effexor, but I've had friends who have, and I've heard some really scary stories about it.

I wish you luck. You'll make it; I know you will. Every time you start to head for the goodies store, take a big drink of water, or eat some healthy snack that you've planned for. Distract yourself by taking a walk. Just remember, this state of being won't last forever, and when it's over, you want to be able to be proud of how you did during it.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I have come off it in the past & really didn't have any problems. Good luck!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/138/125

Height: 5'4"

Default stay strong

Try Gravol and benadryl,If all else it will make you sleep it off.I am not as strong as you I tried and failed.I know exactly how you feel right about now.Friends have had luck with the benadryl Gravol trick,I cant take benadryl so it didnt help me.I am sure at this point you will try anything.get through each day by day hour by hour,dont expect too much right now If you need to eat, eat.The pounds gained will come off easy after.concentrate on getting through the withdrawl.Above all dont give up............
I am pulling for you.You will look back and realize that this was the best thing you have done for yourself.If you can get through this you can do anything .
debbieduzLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #5  
lisa

S/C/G: 209.5/193/135

Height: 5'2"

I have posted with you on another thread about this Effexor. I am still on it but am going to make an appt to start weaning off. I have been on it for several years. I have missed doses, have tried to wean before and have had horrible withdrawls. I have heard that it only takes a couple of days. I hope you are not stopping w/o weaning down.
Debbie, what is Gravol? Just in case when I wean I have ideas to help. I am really afraid to try again to go off it but I think it has caused weight gain and now interferes with the ability to take it off.

Velveteen,
Good luck. And as said above, I would not worry about eating "off" for a few days until "it's" over. You will feel better in the end,
Lisa
lottalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/138/125

Default lisa

Gravol,Dramamine,The OTC stuff you buy at the pharmacy for motion sickness.
debbieduzLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5'4

Take it slow I was on Effxor and when i got off my husband and kids thought i was nuts. I had severe withdraws finally I ended up going on prozac and now I'm feeling normal agian , I was put on Effexor for P.M.S. so when I tryed to come off it I got really depressed and I was verry moody the smallest thing would put me in a rage . I had a severe meltdown along with a panic attack. not all people have the same reactions . good luck hopefully you have a better time coming off then me. I think I tryed to come off to fast and it truly messed up my brain . so go very slow it could take a couple months .
mary
marymaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 242/184/135

Hi there,
I was also on Effezor for some time. It was my first experience with antidepressants, and I thought that the hazy lethargic feeling that it gave me was normal. Trust me, it's not. I had always struggled with my weight, but I sure packed it on with Effezor. Withdrawal for me was horrible. I felt like an addict. I had bouts of dizziness and was not feeling well at all. It took some time, maybe a six weeks for me to get through it. I am now on Celexa and love it. I am now getting ready to speak with my doctor to see if he wants to change this (and I'm not thrilled with that idea) because my counselor believes that I suffer from manic episodes. After having a nervous breakdown this past July, I really know that there is a happy medium regarding medication. I am hoping to find that.
I wish you well with your withdrawal!
All the best,
BJ
travelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

All I can say from my own experience with Effexor is that no matter how bad coming off of it was, it was better to be off than on.

Good luck, and just remember that it will end and you will feel better again.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
All I can say from my own experience with Effexor is that no matter how bad coming off of it was, it was better to be off than on.

Good luck, and just remember that it will end and you will feel better again.
LOL - It's funny how different things are for different people. I am 100% the opposite!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

TRUST ME, I know how hard this is. Give it a few days, try some benodryl (for some it helps the brain zaps),and if not, go to the doctor and get on a very low dose of something else.. i went on a low dose of zoloft for awhile becuase i couldn't *stand* the withdrawal.... and that was much easier to come off of.

Have you been weaning yourself or did you stop cold turkey?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #12  
unstablelady

S/C/G: 210/197/126

Height: 5ft

Default Does It Really Put Weight On ?.....

OMG ...I have been taking it for the last 3 yrs and my weight has soared, when I questioned this with my GP she said it wasnt a side effecct!
I have struggled with my weight ever since, having gained over 70 pounds I have put it down to the grief / stress that I have been suffering.

Now after reading this thread I'm wondering if it's to do with this drug ...I am on 150mg a day, plus other meds .
I only have to miss taking it for a couple of hours and it makes me ill so I am too scared to attempt to come off.
unstablelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #13  
Chunky Dunker

S/C/G: 252.8/tick-tick-tickerrrr/215

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguard View Post
LOL - It's funny how different things are for different people. I am 100% the opposite!
SAME HERE-- I'm much better on then off-- now, Paxil, that's a WHOLE different story!!!

Good luck ! Keep us updated !
WakeMeForSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:21 AM   #14  

I am on Effexor....& gradually going off it....this is the only antidepressant I haven't had trouble going off of.
4 years ago I went off Effexor cold turkey.....that is what my dr. told me to do.....had no problems with going off it.

In March I went to the naturopath....he put me on Niacinamide.....1500 mg. in the morning with food.....I haven't been depressed since the day I started taking it.
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #15  
*squish*squish*

S/C/G: 276/ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstablelady View Post
OMG ...I have been taking it for the last 3 yrs and my weight has soared, when I questioned this with my GP she said it wasnt a side effecct!
I have struggled with my weight ever since, having gained over 70 pounds I have put it down to the grief / stress that I have been suffering.

Now after reading this thread I'm wondering if it's to do with this drug ...I am on 150mg a day, plus other meds .
I only have to miss taking it for a couple of hours and it makes me ill so I am too scared to attempt to come off.
It probably is the Effexor! I gained 50-60 pounds while I was on it. Maybe more, i'm not sure.
Since I stopped taking it I've lost probably somewhere between 15-20 pounds. I didn't weigh myself before I went off it, so I don't know what I was before that, but I weighed myself a few weeks after I went off it and since that weight, with no exercise or anything, I've lost 11 pounds. I just started exercising again to kick the weight loss into gear because I'm just determined to lose every pound I gained while I was on Effexor.
squishy1 is offline   Reply With Quote