Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Taking cymbalta

I saw my gyn dr yesterday and asked to go back on adipex. They wouldnt do it but discussed with me talking cymbalta since im an emotional eater with extreme highs and lows. He said that would even out my moods and help with compulsive eating.

I started taking it today and feel a lil nausea and my head hurts. I have never taken this before and realyl hope it will even out my moods.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Cara good luck on the new meds. Yes some times it can take a few days before the side effects go away. If it goes on to long tell your doctor, there is no reason to suffer to feel good ya know

Let us know.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #3  

Thanks, I felt sick all day yesterday but I really wasnt hungry. Scale was down 3lbs. I feel more tired today with a slight headache.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #4  
I wanna be skinny!

S/C/G: 269

Height: 5'3"

Default I started three days ago.

I started to take Cymbalta three days ago and I also feel sick to my stomach and have aheadache but also my muscle ache did you have this and when does this go away?
angieevans2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #5  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

hi, i took cymbalta a few years ago when it first hit the market and was brand new. i had the same side effects and it took about a week for the side effects to dissipate. but other than that, it was a great med for me.
good luck!
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #6  

This past week has been rough. I have been so sleepy. We were on vacation so I slept till almost noon and took a nap. I went up to 60mg yesterday and Im just as tired today. The Dr said it would take a few weeks to adjust to it. I hope my body adjusts soon.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:29 AM   #7  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Hi!

Uh, I am with you...
I started Cymbalta about six weeks ago. I take it mainly to reduce pain. At the beginning I had to take it with strong pain meds, so I am not exactly sure which side effects was caused by which pill...But I had everything mentioned on the patient information!

But now most side effects are gone! But it took a few weeks...I was really tired all day, felt terrible, headaches, my muscles were "twiching", restless legs at night, wasnīt able to go to the toilet....That was gone after 4 weeks (donīt be afraid, maybe I am just a slow person!).

The only side effect I still feel is troubled sleeping. Vivid dreams, nightmares...and I am sweating in the night! Never had that before.
Oh, and I still feel sick after I take it (I take it in the evening). What helps me a lot is Horlicks. Itīs a milk/ malt- drink. Itīs said to help with sleeping. I bought it because I was searching for something to help me to relax. If I drink it after I had my Cymbalta, my stomach is "quiet".

I lost a bit weight, but it seems to stabilize at the moment. Canīt say something about my weight at the moment, itīs this time of month and I look like a whale...But it has/ had a positive effect on my emotional eating. And it reduced my pain a bit. Oh, and I guess my mood is a bit stable. As stable as it could be with an upcoming exam!

I wouldnīt say that I feel 100% better with Cymbalta. But I am in a very stressful time at the moment, I have a major exam in a few month and I still suffering from facial pain from time to time, so maybe I am in a bad position to judge....

Just give yourself (and Cymbalta) a little time. Most bad side effects will go away!! I never thought it myself at the beginning...

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #8  
Started IP 09/24/13

S/C/G: 287/207.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I was thinking of asking my doctor about this medication. Did anyone experience sexual side effects with this?
jsully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/223/130

Height: 5'6

Hi, Im A Newbie To Fat Chicks, And I Have Been On 90 Mg Of Cybalta For 4 Yrs Now, Yeh At First It Made Me Sick And Sleepy, I Started It For The Nerve Damage I Have In My Back And Legs. But When I Started Theropy 3 Yrs Ago They Just Kept Me On It For My Severe Depression, I Tried To Stop Takeing It One Time This Past Winter For About 3 Weeks, And I Hurt So Bad I Had To Start It Again. (it Blocks Nerves From Hurting/pain) But For The Past Year I Have Had A Problem With My Liver, High Enzyme Levels And Pain, And They Think It Is Due To The Cymbalta, Going In The Next 30 Min For Blood Work Again!!!!! And An Ultra Sound On My Liver. If The Cybalta Has Hurt My Liver I Will Have To Find Something Else To Take, Anyone Been On The Cymbalta, And Switched To Something Else Just As Effective? AND YES IT DOES EFFECT SEXUAL ACTIVITY, HATE THAT (NO O'S IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)
deebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #10  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I've been taking 60mg Cymbalta for at least 2-3 years now - it hasn't really done a lot for my emotional eating, but after going off of it for a couple of weeks one time during a miscommunication with the pharmacy- I think it has really helped my clinical depression. Low lows, ya know?
I'm 46 and in "deep" menopause-lol - not to mention we're all different - but on the whole I'd rate it as a good antidepressant - tried several b4 arriving at Cymbalta. I also have nerve damage from ruptured discs - and altho' I get twinges down my leg now and then from the nerve damage - nothing like the pain/agony I was in at times - just twinges.

I've suffered "night terrors" since childhood and am a sleepwalker too - my psychiatrist prescribed "imipram" - which I think is also called imipramine-50mg-at the same time as the cymbalta. ONE of these stopped the nightmares and sleepwalking after a lifetime . . .

Not sure what I would be like going thru menopause w/o these drugs (I take OTC estroven for the flashes and weepiness) . . . my sex drive is not as high - but like I said - who knows if that's a side effect or a fact of life? . . . There has been no change with the O's though - so that's a GOOD thing! LOL!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #11  
Just getting started

S/C/G: 235/223/140

Height: 5'7"

I know this is kind of an old post, but I wanted to add my two cents for what it is worth

I take 60 mg of Cymbalta and have been on it for a few months now. The nausea went away after about a week. I used to suffer from horrid migraines, but those are gone, and it has been wonderful for my clinical depression. I don't notice any change in my sex drive as far as it decreasing, but because my depression has lifted so dramatically, it has made me more interested in having sex.

Being on the Cymbalta has, in my opinion, also been wonderful for my weight loss efforts. I have been on the best life program since july 1 and have lost 13 pounds. This is the first program I have stayed committed to for this long. Okay, 6 weeks may not be a long time to some folks, but it is to me.

My interest in my favorite hobby (scrapbooking) has also come back and I'm alert, happy, and focused at work. I still struggle sometimes with being focused, but for the most part, I'm a completely different person and am loving it.

I didn't have good sleep for years because my mind is going 100 mph all the time. I would have the CRAZIEST dreams. I am taking Lunesta for that and, wow, what a difference a good night's sleep makes! It has made all the difference in the world. You can ask your doc for some free samples. I'm so glad that I did!

I hope that my two cents has helped someone out there - even if it is just letting you know that you aren't alone

blessings
aileen
BluePapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #12  

I take cymbalta. I felt a little bit more drained when I first started taking it (about two months ago) but, I don't have any side effects now. I did fall into a deep depression the first month I took it. But, I think it was because the dosage was too low. I was taking 60mg, but my dr bumped me up to 120 mg. I am feeling MUCH better these days. I've taken about 7 other antidepressants and this is the first one that has been compatible with me.
unfilteredme is offline   Reply With Quote