Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #1  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Anger & Excercise

I read years ago that depression is simply anger turned inward ... anger that is supposed to be expressed externally but becomes repressed.

Anyhow, for many years when I would attempt to excercise for anymore than about 20 minutes at medium or high intensity ... I would become increasingly frustrated, agitated, and angry but had no idea why.

Finally, having admitted to various things and discovered the source of my anger, I am through that barrier.

I still get angry while working out, but now I don't avoid the feeling, I simply use my work outs to express my anger to that/those external sources.

And what a relief it is to have that outlet.

So .... I was wondering if anyone else has a similar experience? Do you think that you may refrain from excercising because it brings up issues you have repressed??
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #2  
Starting Over...again

S/C/G: 210/210/190

Height: 5'9"

Your the first person that I've ever heard of that got angry while working out. Endorphins (sp) are supposed to make you happy...

I'm glad that you have this outlet but I can honestly say I hope I never get that problem. Good luck and have a great weekend.
L8again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I've never experienced anger during a workout, but I've also never experienced the "endorphine happiness" that I've read about. I guess it depends on an individual's natural disposition. If you can unleash those emotions and use them to fuel your workouts, I say good for you. It sounds like you've found a great therapeutic outlet. Maybe there's a reason some gyms have punching bags...
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #4  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

When I first started out exercising, I would be on the treadmill and thinking about people who made comments about my weight. I'd be thinking "I'll show you!" I remember one jerk who told me he thought it was odd I'd wear a striped shirt because it makes big people look bigger.
What a waste of time focusing on other people.
But I eventually quit the gym altogether. I think I was so focused on the negative that it brought me down. I lost weight later. Healthfully and maybe for myself.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 AM   #5  

Exclamation We are twins

I thought I was the only person in the world who got in a worse mood from working out.
Textbooks say that it is supposed to make you happy and give you a better mood - and I have found the exact opposite. Once I am done, I am b!tchy, aggrevated and I want to go to sleep before I punch someone!!
My roomate (M.S. in Athletic Medicine) couldn't understand what the problem was.
I just thought I was a freak. So don't feel bad, I have it too. Maybe we have some sort of chemical imbalance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoragMunch View Post
I read years ago that depression is simply anger turned inward ... anger that is supposed to be expressed externally but becomes repressed.

Anyhow, for many years when I would attempt to excercise for anymore than about 20 minutes at medium or high intensity ... I would become increasingly frustrated, agitated, and angry but had no idea why.

Finally, having admitted to various things and discovered the source of my anger, I am through that barrier.

I still get angry while working out, but now I don't avoid the feeling, I simply use my work outs to express my anger to that/those external sources.

And what a relief it is to have that outlet.

So .... I was wondering if anyone else has a similar experience? Do you think that you may refrain from excercising because it brings up issues you have repressed??
bsbfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote