Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250.4/212.4/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Experiences with Prozac?

Hi all! I'm pretty new here. I don't think I really qualify as depressed (though I have been in the past; I said hello to 30 pounds thanks in part to Lexapro), but I am on Prozac for OCD. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with it in relation to weight loss. I hear that it is sometimes prescribed to help people lose weight and I wonder if it may be helping a bit with my weight loss.

Also wondering if there are any other OCDers out there as I've never met anyone else who has been diagnosed with it. Hope this isn't too OT.

Nicole
browncoat nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I was on Lexapro for a while and also gained weight. I haven't been on it in a long time though, and don't take anti-depressants anymore.

Nice user name, btw!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #3  
Starting Over...again

S/C/G: 210/210/190

Height: 5'9"

Nicole,

Welcome! I don't have OCD but my neightbor does and boy can he be a handful. I'm a pretty neat person in general but when he comes over he get's that speck of dust that was left on the ceiling in the corner where no one else but him could see it. I'm not poking fun...I love it. I love to go to his house because I have never seen anything arranged like he does it. I love cooking in his kitchen because what ever you need, there is no looking, it's right where it should be, label facing forward, in alphabetical order. He doesn't have the kind of OCD like you see on TV (Monk) he's just over organized. It's great. Ofcourse, I don't have to live with him either. He takes Effexor. I am, however, on Serafem (same as Prozac) and I hope I get that weight loss side effect.

Good luck to you!!
L8again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #4  

Unhappy Prozac

I have been taking Prozac for about 4 months. No weight loss for me. It just plain makes me tired. I wish I could get off all meds for good, but it isn't easy.
Jillzeebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I don't have ocd but I was on prozac years ago. I really liked how I felt on it...that is the only drug I can honestly say made a difference in my AND I lost weight on it, so did my sister and mom. Everyones different.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #6  
Willpower Again!

S/C/G: 152/150/125

Height: 5-7....BMI 125.6! yikes

Hi! I have been on Prozac for many years and I lost alot of weight at first but after the first 6 months I gained it all back and more....and keep gaining ever since.........SO BEWARE! It will cause weight loss for the first 6 months but after the effect goes away it comes back with a vengeance!
Shoocraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #7  
Eternally Optimistic

S/C/G: 218/215/140

Height: 5'4"

I didn't lose or gain on it -- my doctor told me it was a "weight-neutral" drug, whereas some other types of antidepressants are definitely known to affect weight in a large number of users. Unfortunately, it had a strong sedative effect on me, and I couldn't deal with sleeping 12-14 hours per day every day (and more on weekends). I'm currently not using anything and exercising / eating healthier -- doc wants to see if the change in habits will be enough, and if not, then we'll look at Effexor or Paxil next.
SunnyDazeFL is offline   Reply With Quote