Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #1  

Default Sleep Apnea, Depression, feeling tired

Hey everybody!!!

I've not posted for months, but have been lurking. Hope everybody had good holidays.

Just looking for some input, or words of wisdom from all of you...here goes the short version of what's going on....

I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in May. Also had check up with Dr and got loads of blood work done including the correct thyroid tests, not just TSH( yes Cathy freeT3 and free T4). Went on month long vacation with family, which included camping so I couldn't stay totally compliant with my cpap machine(sleep apnea treatment). Got home, got back on my cpap. Did lots of research, found a great website with support forum to help with all of my questions about sleep apnea. Went back to dr to get bloodwork results. Everything was in normal range. Even had a total cardiac work up done because of a blip on my ekg. Everything is fine, but I'm still tired. All of that took place this summer. I even found out that sometimes people can have a sleep deficit and it can take a few months to start feeling better. And there is a connection with sleep apnea and depression. Lots of folks who were able to get off meds once they found out they weren't breathing while they were sleeping and got treatment. That's not me. I've still got brain chemical issues. Anyway, talked with the folks at my shrinks office and decided to start taking my lexapro at night to help combat some of the sleepiness. Think I need to talk about upping my dose a little at my next visit. Anyway, I still just can't seem to accomplish much during the day. The only time i seem to get much done is when I'm pms-ing. I get this little manic nesting thing going on.
Well, I guess what I needed was to unload. I just feel stuck. Like my butt is stuck to the recliner and can't get out of it. I'm just not doing the things I was a year ago and now I'm supposedly in better shape because of the apnea treatment. Go figure. I guess it could be meds. I was off them for a while because I lost my insurance through hubby's job and the new private insurance carrier won't take me(DH left his teaching job to work for himself). I just quit taking them because I was afraid of the cost and because I wanted to see If could go without them. I can't. Shrink got me on a plan with the drug company so I can get cheap/free meds thru them (I use the state mental health facility in my county because that is what the previous insurance paid for).
Wow, this has gotten longer than I intended. I may have just solved my own problem. Thanks for reading. You guys are all great. Also, does anyone else on this board have sleep apnea? Just curious. No need to start a new forum for it since there is such good help at other sites. Just wanted to put the question out there.

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Sandy
flagmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #2  

I have obstructive sleep apnea. I wanted the cpap to be like an overnight miracle. It wasn't. But over time it has made a difference. And my dh is sleeping better now
rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #3  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Hi Sandy...
Most likely I suffer from some sort of sleep apnea. I snore all the time, and I feel tired all the time. I also suffer from manic-depression...so I also know where you are coming from. Lexapro works really really well for me. I find it interesting that they told you to take it at night to help with sleep, because4 I take it in the day...and that may cause to my sleepiness??? Dunno.

SO, how were diagnosed with sleep apnea? Did you have to do the sleep clinic thing? Maybe I should go ahead and do this because I have also read that if a person does not get adequate sleep at night, has more trouble dropping the pounds.
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Sandy,

I was put on Lexapro about a month ago and I am having a similar experience to yours. I am currently weaning myself off it.

It doesn't make me tired or sleepy, per se, it just makes me completely apathetic about everything. I have no motivation to do ANYTHING. I am normally a very active person who gets bored sitting in front of the TV long enough to watch even one show, but once I was on the Lexapro, I spent 35 hours one weekend in front of the TV/VCR watching soap operas. For me that was the last straw. No more Lexapro.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #5  

Hey Gina, Hey fiddler,

Thanks for the replies. I've been on lexapro for a while except for the short break this summer. I've never really equated it with being apathetic, though I suppose it could be the cause. Or I could just need an adjustment in my dosage. I'll be seeing the shrink tomorrow so I can ask him. It might also be that I need to go back on the combo I was on before with the lexapro and wellbutrin.

Gina---oddly enough it was my shrink who suggested the sleep study. I've been complaining about feeling tired for three years now and he finally asked me if I snore. When I told him that dh said that I did he gave me the sleep doc's number and wrote a note for him to evaluate me for apnea. I had asked my primary doc about this years ago because my mom also has sleep apnea. But he said that since I wasn't overweight at the time that that couldn't be a problem. So here I am 10 -12 years later. I'm about 20 pounds heavier than i really need to be, but don't really look it in clothing. Even the sleep doc ,who should know, better didn't think I would have much of a problem because I didn't "look" heavy. But did do an exam and said that I have a small airway and that my soft palate closes the wrong way, so he agreed to do a sleep test. The "stereotypical" sleep apnea paitent is someone who is very obese and snores. Fortunately, as more people become aware of OSA, and become more proactive in their healthcare, docs are finding out that people with sleep apnea come in all shapes and sizes. Poor sleep contributes in so many negative ways to your health. Apnea itself can cause high blood pressure and damage to your heart, it can also exacerbate depression or even be the sole cause of it. Lots of people with sleep apnea have been given ADs before they were diagnosed with apnea. OK, I'll quit lecturing now. But if you really think you may have a problem you should absolutely get tested. Especially if you snore loudly, your bed is a mess in the morning from all your movement, and if you don't remember that last time you dreamed. Good luck, Gina.

See you all on th boards,
Sandy
flagmama is offline   Reply With Quote