Old 01-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #1  
masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5 ft. 7 inches

Question How do you manage your weight as a socialite?

How many of you have jobs that contribute to weight gain? I work for a non-profit and it seems that every week there is a cocktail reception, luncheon, lunch meeting, fundraiser, gala or cultural event that places me in the "temptation zone".

To compound the problem, I am often working from dawn until 10:00, so if an unhealthy option is offered for dinner, I can't get to a decent meal until 10:00at night which naturally puts those calories on a fast track to my hips! Not to mention that while I am working, I can't be at home working out.

So, my question to you out there is how are you managing your weight despite your socialite life? What helps you avoid the calorie laden cocktails and carboholic lunch/breakfast options out there. Have you hurdled bagel-filled-landmines, thwarted the fajita bar and jilted the chocolate mousse? If so, please share your strategies!
aimin4thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

I don't have any, but I knew a woman who was a pastry chef. She had to "taste" the things she cooked. And she was dieting low carb! I am not sure how she did it, but it wasn't easy. She was determined though and I think she "tasted" and then got rid of whatever it was she had to taste. (spit it out I mean).

I guess if you are really determined, anything is possible.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #3  
masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5 ft. 7 inches

Default Wow!

WOW- being a pastry chef while dieting- now THAT would be rough. Thank you very much for sharing about your friend and you are totally right that if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. Thank you for the extra encouragement.

SW 165
CW 163
V-day Goal 154
TG 130
aimin4thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #4  

My job doesn't have me socialize, but my location does. I live in a big tourist area, so there are always tons of interesting clubs/bars/shows/events to go to in the evenings, and I'm the kind of person that loves to do that stuff. I'm out probably 4 nights a week. . .here are the things that helped me the last time I was losing weight, and are helping me now on my newest 30 lbs:

1. I try to remember that my stomach is the size of a fist. . .and I don't eat more than that at a given event.

2. No nibbling! Seriously. If I'm going somewhere with only those foods, I eat before, and give myself a set number I can have (usually 4). When I'm done I'm done.

3. Glasses are perfect props. I used to always have a plate of food with me as a prop so I didn't look out of place or dull. When I realized that's what I was using it for, I discovered simply carrying a glass with me as I wander the room is effective and less calorie-fulll! Plus, as long as you acknowlege it's a prop, it can have other stuff besides alcohol in it. . .I like to alternate 1 non alc. drink with one alc. and sip the both slowly.

4. I also try to remember that not-having food in my hand/mouth opens me up for dancing and conversation. I also know many people look at the "fat girl" eat and judge, so as awful as that is, it helps

5. I don't stay at boring things. If I can't make them interesting I leave (after a polite time, of course). I used to stay and eat out of boredom

6. Sit/hang out with the other skinnies. Those are the people you notice NOT eating constantly. They're either thin b/c they know when to stop or probably like you and trying to be thin. You form your own unspoken support group when you're with them because none of you are making those non-verbal cues to eat more.

7. Try to attend active functions whenever possible. I took a ballroom dance class to brush up on skills long forgotten from my teen years, and now we can go out salsa dancing, and I can tango like a goddess (ok, so that's kinda an exaggeration ) when I go somewhere with old-school dancing or a good live band.

8. walk a lot. When we go out, many of my friends like to take taxis from one place to the next if they're more than a few blocks, but there's really no need. I have a friend who also walks, and we can cover 20 blocks no problem and not notice because we're chatting the whole time! It's a good way to get extra exercise in, and you don't have to deal with cabs.

I'm not doing amazingly, but this has helped me have a social life while not gaining back the 30 lbs I lost a year ago. Plus, I have way more fun when I'm out now. Hope it helps!
watercolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #5  

Oooh, and I forgot the biggie:

Join a 24 hour gym. Then, I make a rule that if I pass it and I'm NOT required to be anywhere at a specific time, I go in. That means I leave a little early for a party and arrive fashionably late but very refreshed. . .or I get out of somewhere at ten (weeknight) or wee hours of morning (weekend), and hit the gym on the way home.

That's cool because not many people go to the gym in the wee hours so it's free of annoying grunting and I get any machine I want. It's also cool because I've found that the more I exercise regularly the less sleep I need. I went from needing about 9 hours a night and waking up tired to needing about 5.
watercolors is offline   Reply With Quote