Old 11-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #46  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Calorie Count

OK...I just figured out my calories from the last two days and I've averaged about 1600 each day. A little over one day, and a little under the other...but what I'm figuring is that if I can just cut out the eating of the sugar snacks, I'd be around 1500 which would be ideal for me! So....I'm asking for some good vibes/prayers/whatever sent to me to stay away from the sugar snacks at work and at home!!!

Thanks everyone. I will comment tomorrow to everyone! I promise! You all are kicking butt and motivating me! Thank you sooooooooooooo much!

hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Exclamation Weight Loss Tip #21

We know it's difficult to stay motivated to exercise regularly. One great way to keep up a workout routine is to pair up with another dedicated person, or with a small group of friends. You'll be surprised how much fun it can be to have a special group for walking, running, or working out at the gym. The camaraderie and support (not to mention the healthy peer pressure) can keep you motivated and feeling positive. Plus, you'll get some necessary together time, too.

Just a "quickie" again tonight chickies. Messed up on the exercise today, co-worker/break issues had me stressed out. Food was okay until the x6 attack. Can't wait for them to be gone from the house....

The trick or treats are gone as of last night ... hmmm ...followed your lead there MsRd. I'm sure you'll get good mileage on those new exercise shoes. Gotta go see Leslie, I've missed her. See you Monday morning?

Elisha thoroughly related to a lot of those 22 reasons I stay FAT. Thanks for that.

Rosie ... feel free to PM me if you need some company, you've got friends here!

MissGreen "so I've detoxed the kitchen from things that are bad. I believe in, controlling the environment, because controlling the self takes a long time. But the environment is much easier to control, and it helps to eventually control the habits. I learned it from Dr Phil. " This makes SO much sense to me.

Scalechallenged - YAY for the "green day"

Aloha TBJ, is this tazer lag... I meek lazer tag ... whatever... point it in my direction, I'm a glutton for punishment :rofl3:

Julie ... keep it coming - I know that motivation of yours is contagious ....

Gotta go and get that reading done... procrastinating again .... OH BTW, I think that everyone involved in this challenge is a "cheese addict"... I know I am ... DH calls me a RAT

Last edited by JoyG56; 11-04-2005 at 09:27 PM.
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #48  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Exclamation Regular exercise can...

Since I posted reasons to stay fat yesterday, I'll give you some of the benefits of working out today to help you lose the fat.

1. Help you lose weight, especially fat
2. Improve your physical appearance
3. Increase your level of muscular strength and endurance
4. Maintain your resting metabolic rate to prevent weight gain
5. Increase your stamina and ability to do continuous work
6. Improve fitness levels, or your body's ability to use oxygen
7. Provide protection against injury
8. Improve your balance and coordination
9. Increase bone mineral density to prevent osteoporosis
10. Lower resting heart rate and blood pressure
11. Lower Body Mass Index (BMI), your fat to height ratio
12. Reduce triglycerides, bad cholesterol (LDL), raises good cholesterol (HDL)
13. Enhance sexual desire and performance
14. Reduce heart disease risk and stroke
15. Reduce the risk of developing certain types of cancer
16. Increase insulin sensitivity, prevents Type 2 diabetes
17. Reduce your level of anxiety and help you manage stress
18. Improve function of the immune system
19. Improve your self-esteem and restore confidence
20. Help you sleep better, relax, and improve mood
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #49  
Bound and Determined

Morning chickies!

OK, where am I at? Work, oh yeah. Bleh. But, at least it's Friday, right?

Yesterday turned out ok. Calories came in around 1800 or so, I don't remember exactly. Too high, but I'm getting closer to where I want to be. Still arguing with Mom daily about the definition of "healthy" when it comes to food. Grrr... won't get into that here, definitely a journal issue.

Water yesterday was decent, but not great, at least not for me. I got in somewhere around 70 oz.

I did manage to get in 45 minutes of exercise with my Yourself!Fitness. I made it to Bronze level by sticking with it! Woot!

Breakfast today was a bit high calorie, but not too bad. LF granola cereal with skim milk and the last piece of my chocolate marble banana bread with a little bit of Smart Balance spread, plus coffee with skim milk. Lunch is a Lean Gourmet grilled chicken and an orange, and I brought some string cheese for a snack. Dinner, who knows (another argument with Mom).

Today is Steve's last day at his old job, so he's going out to celebrate with a few of his friends from there, giving me another free evening. Tonight will be a repeat of last night--dinner, probably some reading Dr. Phil, exercise, and early to bed.

I get to sleep in a bit tomorrow, and that is definitely a good thing, as you all know I never get enough sleep. But I will have time to exercise before we leave to Cincinnati, and I'll make us a large, healthy brunch before we go so we don't have to stop for fast food.

Joy: The treats are gone now, so it's time to get back on track. I'm sure Leslie is lying around your house somewhere just waiting for you.

Julie: Those calories are headed in the right direction! You can do it!

MsRD: Shoes sure do make a difference, don't they? The first couple of times I did my Y!F I did it without shoes (they were dirty, and I didn't want to get my carpet dirty)--bad idea. Last night I finally managed to clean my shoes, and the workout was so much easier on my feet! Now my shoulders, that's another story...but it has nothing to do with shoes!

Rosie: You did well today, and you should feel proud! We all get attacked by pizza from time to time, and there's just something about pizza that makes us all over-indulge. But still--looking for jobs, exercising, drinking your water, journaling your food: all good thing. Focus on that instead.

Connie: Sure Crystal Light counts! Pretty much any non-calorie (or very low calorie) beverage counts. Whatever works! Stay away from that candy! You can resist!

TBJ: We all know that used car salesmen are trained in the fine art of getting people to do things they know they shouldn't do. Obviously overeating is on that list. But today is a new day. So get over it, and get on with your diet. Don't make it into a bigger deal than it is.

That's all from me for now! Have a wonderful day, chickies!
~Elisha
Old 11-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #50  
Bound and Determined

Thumbs up Exercise Challenge

Minutes are listed Actual/Goal

Joy: 15/420
Rosie: 41/140
Missgreen: /100
Julie: 25/160
Elisha: 45/180
TBJ: /140
MsRD: 60/240

Group Total: 186/1380
Old 11-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #51  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Well, I've gotten my exercise in the last two days, but I'm still struggling with breaking the snoozing habit. I gague myself by my shower radio, since no two clocks are the same in my place. When I get in the shower and they do the "Today in History" segment, I know I'm right on time. If they're on the "Blast from the Past" song, I'm running late.

Anyway, I added a small new rule: No snacks after 9pm. I've come close a couple days, but I've followed it so far this month.

I'm only setting a "days of the week" goal on my exercise, as setting a minutes goal has proven counter-productive for me. 3 out of 4 days since the 1st so far. I'm aiming for 5 days a week starting next week.

Elisha-- I here ya on the defination of "healthy" issue. Everyone has a different idea of what that is. There are some people I've given up on and just exercise extreme portion control when I'm with them. As long as I can plan ahead, I'm ok.

Joy, Hikein, and Scale_Challanged-- We should all get our sweets together and have a big sugary bon fire to get rid of the temptation once and for all!

MsRD-- I know what you mean about the shoes. When I finally bought a good pair of cross trainers, my Leslie DVD got MUCH better for me. It was just killing the balls of my feet!

Rosie-- It's easy to go overboard with pizza. Sounds like you had a really good day, otherwise! *Sending you good vibes*

TBJ-- I've had a small amount of success with emotional eating by sucking on a very strong mint or something else like Altoids (working on a tin of curiously strong licorice currently). When I'm not really hungry, that strong flavor lessens the desire to put something else in my mouth.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #52  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Morning, everyone...

Yesterday was a good food day. No exercise, though. This morning I have to work on my bar application, and Hubby decided to amuse himself by walking down to the post office while I'm working. Wish I could have gone with him...

Scale-Challenged -- Heh heh, glad you were able to cut down on the cheese. Have you ever seen Wallace and Gromit Wallace is obsessed with cheese. That's kind of how I am.

Rosie -- Sorry you're feeling alone. We're here for you.

MsRD -- Ooo, shopping for new shoes. Fun. Glad you like them. Thanks for the tip on purging the house. My home isn't my problem, it's the restaurants. That's why I try to minimize eating out. I seem to be able to do OK for one restaurant meal, but then at the next one I add a soda, and then at the next one I add an appitizer, then a dessert... Eh. It's a challenge to work on.

Julie -- I just said a little prayer for you on your sugar challenge. Hey, if you are keeping your calories down, you will definitely lose weight.

Joy -- Thanks for the exercise tip. If it hadn't been for my biking buddy, I never would have been able to do the MS 150.

Elisha -- What's up with your mom? I'll check out your journal. Tell Steve Happy Last Day. My friend says it's a great feeling to walk away from a job.

Betani -- Thanks for the tip on emotional eating. I like the fact that you gave me an idea for something to do with my mouth. That idea might work. In fact, back in high school, I used to suck on candy -- just one piece in the afternoon -- and I didn't have any urge to run home after an emotional day and eat bad food. Heh heh, your shower timing is cute.

Yesterday we picked up our new used car. Hubby says it drove well, and he should know, because he kept getting us lost. Actually, we had a spat over it. But we got through it. During arguments, he tends to focus on the issue and I tend to focus on my wounded pride and negative emotions. He's probably mentally more healthy. I admire that about him.

Chicas, wish me luck. I am going to work on the bar application now. I will be optimistic and determine to be done with it soon.

Happy Friday!
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #53  

Exclamation Weight Loss Tip #22

Taking time to enjoy a meal can often seem like a major inconvenience. An excellent way to moderate how much you eat is to slow down, relax, and focus on your food. If you're eating while you're driving in your car or while you're working on your computer, you're rushing through the process and potentially overeating. It takes 20 minutes for the body to start really digesting food, so take your time and enjoy your meal!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #54  

Happy Friday!

Work was great today....the time just zipped by! Then I stopped at the store to get my Mom some stuff and then picked up some fast food for dinner. Then, out to Mom's and then on to the grocery store and home. I unpacked the groceries and put in the WATP dvd......did the 30 minutes and it relieved all the stresses of the day!

As I said, I had fast food for dinner......and for lunch too.....and then there was the pumpkin bar birthday treat. Yikes! Calories came in at 1700.....which I will consider a minor miracle....and hopefully I can stay away from snacking tonight!

Julie....Already you have the food thing under control.....1600 calories is great! Breaking the 'sugar cycle' is hard.....expect a headache for a day or so. But, once you stop eating sugary treats, you will stop craving them and then it gets easier.

Joy....Ok, treats are gone......by whatever means.....and now you can get down to more healthy eating. Why wait until Monday to walk with Leslie.....join me tomorrow AM!

Elisha......Each generation has its own definition of healthy food. I remember my Mom insisting we eat beef liver at least once weekly, because it was good for us......and never gave a thought that it was an organ meat and therefore full of cholesterol! Have a wonderful time in Cincinnati!

Connie......Crystal Light is definitely ok for water intake. Any beverage that is sugar free and caffeine free will do.

Betani.....If your exercise goals work for you, then go for it! We are all unique individuals.....on the inside and on the outside....so there is no 'one size fits all' diet. What works for one person, doesn't work for another.

TBj.....congrats on the new (to you) car. When DH & I travel, he always drives, and I sit in the passenger seat, with a road map on my lap and 'navigate'! Get busy with the bar application, chickie.....just getting that done will give you a sense of accomplishment!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #55  
Ima bundle *' emotion

My day in summary:

Things I'm proud of:
-Didn't eat 1500 calories like I wanted but I was within my day's usual caloric range
-Recording ALL food today
-Applied to jobs today as planned

Things needing tweaking:
- Didn't have enough water
- Did no exercise (I felt the need to do nothing)
- Let other people's words effect me

Rosie
Extrinsic Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #56  
Bound and Determined

Morning chickies!

This morning I just want to post a quick report on yesterday before I get moving (and before I forget)! Calories came in around 1727, not great still but an improvement. Water was decent, but again, not great, at around 70 oz. Exercise was good--45 minutes. I planned on 30, but when I was done with my 30 minute workout I turned on another 15 minutes. Though I didn't do the entire routine she gave me (you want me to do 14 freaking sets of squat lunges?! I don't think so!), I do keep moving, my heart rate stayed up, and I kept sweating, so it's all good.

This morning I woke up around 8 and couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up and had some LF granola cereal with skim milk. I'll exercise here in a little while, as soon as breakfast settles down--30 minutes today--then get ready for our little trip. I'll fix us a healthy lunch before we go so we don't have to stop.

I agreed to start selling Avon yesterday. The lady who sells it in my office wants a break, so I said I'd take over for a while. You all know how I love cosmetics! I figure, she's already got the established client base, and it's almost Christmastime, so people will be buying stuff (great for stocking stuffers, you know), plus I could use the extra cash (that is, if I don't spend it all on Avon!). I'm kind of nervous about it, but hey, I guess it can't hurt anything, right?

Rosie: Applying to jobs is a stressful process! And you still managed to eat within you calorie range and record all your food. Those are all good things. There are things in all of our lives that still need tweaking, but I think the best way to handle them is one at a time. Start out by concentrating on doing just one thing until it becomes habit--eating a certain number of calories, recording your food, drinking your water, whatever. Then when you get that one mastered, move on to the next.

MsRD: You had fast food twice and you still managed fewer calories than me! AND you walked with Leslie! WTG! Exercise really does help relieve the stress, doesn't it? Funny how that works...

OK chickies, I'm going to get moving here. I probably won't check in tomorrow, so have a wonderful weekend!
~Elisha
Old 11-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #57  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Morning, everyone.

Food was good yesterday, no exercise, must improve on that soon. Last night I went to a dojo and watched a jujitsu class. I was scared to go, because bad-***-ness is NOT me, but the vibe was good and there was no punkish attitude or behavior. That dojo was the first one that I've looked at, so I still have to look around, but I like it enough that unless I find something else, I'll probably join.

Joy -- You're right about taking time to enjoy food. Yesterday, Hubby and I had to go to a restaurant because the food in our fridge had gone bad. I was eating this yummy Chinese noodle dish, and I wanted more, but I waited a few minutes, and sure enough, I was full.

MsRD -- Hey, what a good day, to splurge and still be under calories. That means you must have exercised portion control. Good for you.

Rosie -- Ooo, any interesting story on applying for jobs? Applying can be stressful, hope you find something soon.

Ellisha -- You're so pretty and well put together that people will flock to you for Avon goods.

Today Hubby and I move in to our new apartment. That means shopping for housewares. Even though money is tight because we just moved so far away, I am looking forward to shopping for sundry items. At least I can choose colors and styles.

See you ladies later.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #58  

OK ladies....bad bad day today and last night...didnt eat anything real bad, but bad enough to go over my normal calorie mark. Ok im done...will not be eating anything unhealthy! Pinky swear!

As for exercise, i normally take saturdays off because im so active with the kids. We went roller skating at 9am and stayed til noon so i did pretty well even for my day off. Looks like i can maintain this loss, but just cannot seem to get over the hump. Any ideas for breaking thru a slump ladies? This is the first real biggie ive hit since I began and im starting to get annoyed.

Connie
scale_challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #59  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Not much time to post today, but I had to mention an article I just read in the tub. (Yes, I read magazines in the bathtub.)

If you have the opportunity to check out the November issue of Prevention (libraries usually have back issues if it's no longer in stores), there is a great article about emotional eating in the Food & Nutrition section. It's by Geneen Roth, who has already written 6 books on the subject. I have a feeling that I might be checking out her books pretty soon...

Last edited by Betani; 11-05-2005 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:19 AM   #60  

Exclamation Weight Loss Tip #23

Cutting out the meat doesn't always cut out calories, especially when it's replaced with high-calorie, high-fat vegetarian foods like cheese and nuts. Plus, many prepackaged garden burgers and fried veggie patties have just as much fat as meat products. The trick is to balance your diet and try not to replace meat sources with other fatty foods.

Thought you guys might enjoy this one. I'm not vegan, but I do try to encorporate some non-meat meals a couple of times a week.

Today was a very loooong day downtown in the classroom. This condensed course is very intense. Week three next week, and already mid-terms ... so I'm afraid I'll be studying organizational behavior models all week, among other things.

I did take my lunch along to avoid eating out, but managed to get in one Tim Horton's muffin, 3 cookies and an iced mocha.... and a Chai Tea Latte....

Got on the next stop and off early for the bus... for about twenty minutes exercise today. Puts my total to a grand 35 ... ahem . Okay, I've got three days to make up time.

Well, it's been a long day (up at 5am) so I'm off to bed soon.

Hugs everyone. And remember to spend some time renewing your spirit, appreciating yourself and being thankful this Sunday.

Last edited by JoyG56; 11-06-2005 at 12:25 AM.