Old 11-30-2004, 11:08 PM   #1  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Lightbulb Aerobic Exercise Challenge

Ok, chicks, so pedometer miles are all well and good, and it is important to get in as many steps as possible. However, some of us (myself included) have discovered that tracking pedometer miles does not lead to an increase in aerobic exercise. In fact (but speaking only for myself here), the number of pedometer miles is inversely proportionate to the number of aerobic miles I log in any given time frame, since I seem to use lots of pedometer steps as an excuse *not* to exercise, and that's definitely not what we want.

So what DO we want? More calories burned. That means more AEROBIC exercise, which means that we have to actually get our blood pumping for a sustained period. That's right, chicks, I'm talking about 20 minutes or more of honest-to-goodness target heart rate exercise! Running down the hall once because you really have to pee does NOT count as aerobic activity!

So my challenge is this: complete 50 miles worth of actual aerobic exercise before January 1, 2005. And I mean I want you sweating (and me too!)! No strolls across the street to McDonald's, no browsing the stores, no 2 minutes here and 2 minutes there. I understand that sometimes that is all we get, and that is better than nothing at all (except maybe the McDonald's thing), but the point of this challenge is to actually focus on exercise itself.

And you don't have to walk to participate in the 50-mile challenge. However, you DO have to know how long it takes you to walk 1 mile at your regular workout intensity (are you exercising within your target heart rate zone?). If you don't know, climb on a treadmill, or just find a pedometer and a stopwatch. For example, if it takes you 15 minutes to walk 1 mile (4 mph), which is a pretty decent walking speed and should get your heart pumping, you can calculate 15 minutes of any exercise done AT THE SAME INTENSITY LEVEL to equal 1 mile. If it takes you 20 minutes to go 1 mile, do calculate 1 mile as 20 minutes. You get the idea.

The point is, no more pedometer miles! Unless, of course, you're using the pedometer to monitor your workout.

So let's get moving, chickies! Only 50 miles to go!
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #2  

Cool, I'm going to attempt this. I walk pretty quickly at 4.5 miles an hour but I'm not going to get anything in this week, it's the last week of term and I have packing, parties and work to do!
dilleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:17 AM   #3  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

I'm in...and I need to get busy!

My main aerobic activity is going to be the WATP tapes, and the exercise bike. I'll only count my weight/resistance band stuff if I'm running behind.

Thanks, Elisha, for hosting this!
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:59 PM   #4  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, I'm all in. I never did get a pedometer, but I biked, and that adds up miles faster. Today, being the 1st, I'm back to my exercising. I biked 15 miles on my bike (60 minutes). But that is probably like walking 3 miles. I'm usually a 20 minute mile walker, and this was about the same intensity. I like this challenge

Miles to date: 3
DewCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #5  
No description available.

Hey all! I'd like to join this challenge. I think it will help me make time to exercise. I run about 12 minute miles, so 5 miles/ hr. I am quite slow, and due to work, can't run everyday. I think 50 miles is a good goal...doable, but I'll have to push myself too. I would like to be in the 160s by New Years.
Jen
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:44 PM   #6  

I am in. Right now I am doing 12 minute miles and am trying for 11 minute miles (walking is 15 minute miles though). Today is the first day and I haven't done a thing but I am about to go in the garage and do atleast something. I think that if I run I wil count those miles as exact and if I walk then those miles exactly. When I do taebo and my circuit I will count that as 15 min miles so that I can be fair to myself about it. My goal is to be down 5 lbs so I need to get moving and soon.
gabwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:51 PM   #7  

3 down
47 to go!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:01 PM   #8  

well, I just got off the treadmill. I did 3.2 miles all together which I find is decent. I did get a 10 minute mile in there (believe it or not) and that is my first ever so I had to slow everything else down. I am tired. I lasted 40 minutes- which makes my miles about 12.5 minute miles. That is real good.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:45 AM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

I'm in too, if you'll have me.

(I need a good kick in the *#@). The tazer might do.

I'm NOT happy to say I did zip, nil, nada today.
squabb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:43 PM   #10  

ZERO today! Too many babies.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:41 AM   #11  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi all

Well today was not a total loss after all. Got in about .5 miles on my coffee break this morning.
squabb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:15 AM   #12  

Hi there. I'm Susan, and I'd like to join your 50-mile challenge. I'm a few days late, but what the heck, I'll give it a go.

I'm a (slow) runner who is trying to (a) lose the 10 lbs I gained over this past year (b) lose the "last 10" that I've been trying to get off for 5 years and (c) get back to 4-5 runs a week. This challenge fits in well with my goals.

Let's see - there are 29 days left in December. If I do three 3-mile runs and one 6 for the next three weeks, that gives me 45 miles. Yes, that's do-able. Count me in!!

Today's goal: 3 miles
Seasaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:45 AM   #13  

I picked up the xbox exercise disc this weekend and did a 30 minute workout yesterday! Whew! I am going to count 3 miles for that altough I do feel I got a better workout than my 3 mile runs.

6 down
44 to go

GO GO GO!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #14  

Well I ran another 2.5 miles today so that is 5.7 miles down and 44.3 to go. Tomorrow will be quite a few miles done so that is good. Probably about 7 miles. Not sure yet though. Depends on how my daughter is acting and how late my hubby gets off. But I think that I am doing pretty well so far.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:00 AM   #15  

Hi everyone.

I think I will make this easier on myself and post in kilometres (50 miles = 80 kms). Then I won't have to do the conversion every time I post my progress.

Dec. 3 - 2 km (fast walk)
Dec. 6 - 4 km (run)
Total = 6 km
Left to Go - 74 km

Planning to run another 4 or 5 km on the treadmill in the morning.
Seasaw is offline   Reply With Quote