Old 06-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #46  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

Snow Puffs
¼ cup (about 2 large) egg whites at room temperature
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
¾ cup sugar, or splenda

Heat oven to 300F. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar. Gradually beat in sugar or splenda, until stiff peaks form. Drop by heaping teaspoons onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Bake 25 minutes, or until meringues are dry. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes 24 meringues 25 calories, 0g protein, 6g carbs, 0g fat (check splenda for reduced calorie/carb #s)
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #47  
"workin' on my fitness"

Stovetop mac & cheese

½ pound corkscrew or elbow pasta
3 tablespoons flour
¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
¾ cup evaporated skim milk
3oz reduced fat swiss cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
3oz reduced fat sharp cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Meanwhile, place flour in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Whisk in broth and milk until smooth. Turn heat to medium, continue to whisk until bubbly and thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside. Place bread crumbs in a small non stick skillet over low heat. Toast by shaking pan occasionally, until crumbs turn golden, about 3-4 minutes. Stir drained pasta into cheese sauce. Spoon mixture into pasta bowls, and garnish with browned crumbs.

Makes 4 1 ½ cup servings 394 calories, 25g protein, 56g carbs, 8g fat, 2g fiber
Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #48  
"workin' on my fitness"

Hummus Snacks

2 cloves garlic
2 cups chickpeas, cooked and drained
4 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp water
pinch of paprika

Combine first 6 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Add a little more water if necessary to make a thick paste. Transfer to a small serving dish, and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with veggie slices, or whole wheat pita triangles.

Makes 4 servings, 219 calories, 10g protein, 28.5g carbs, 8.5g fat
Old 06-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #49  
"workin' on my fitness"

Jalapeno Chicken

2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup healthy request chicken broth
2 tbsp honey
2 limes, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced

Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly coat a medium baking sheet in nonstick spray. In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper together. Rub the mixture onto the chicken and arrange on the baking sheet. In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, honey, lime juice, and jalapenos. Cook over medium high heat, stirring until mixture thickens. Cook chicken for 15 minutes. Begin basting the chicken periodically with the broth mixture. Continue cooking for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink & juices run clear.

Makes 4 servings. 202 calories, 20g protein, 13g carbs, 4g fat
Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Yumm! That jalapeno chicken sounds amazing! Thanks for posting.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #51  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Thumbs up Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed, about 1.5 pounds (I use the frozen ones)

1 can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup (You can use whatever cream of soup you want, but I find the chicken interferes least with the flavor. Tried the celery once, it was kind of weird. Experiment to your heart's desire.)

1/2 cup shredded cheese (I use Mexican blend, but I suppose any will work. LF or FF would further reduce calories, of course, but I didn't have any on hand, so the nutritional values use full-fat cheese and sour cream. I'll update to LF later this evening--if I remember)

2 heaping tablespoonfuls of sour cream

1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

6 flour tortillas (mine were 7" diameter, white flour--about 150 cals each)

Optional:
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
Minced garlic (to taste)
Crushed red pepper (to taste)
Olive oil (for pre-cooking the chicken)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. In skillet, cook chicken (and onions and green pepper, if using) until just cooked through. Add optional spices in last 5 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, mix soup, sour cream, and most of the cheese in a medium bowl. Place tortillas on plate under a damp paper towel and heat in microwave for 30-45 seconds (it makes them much easier to work with). Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray. When chicken is done, scoop 1/6 onto center of tortilla (about 4 oz.). Cover with 1 heaping spoonful of soup mixture--you'll have some left. (It won't seem like enough, but trust me, they get gooey enough in the oven.) Wrap them up and place in the casserole dish (use a toothpick to hold them together if you need to). Spoon remaining soup mixture evenly over enchiladas. If using diced tomatoes, mix with tomato sauce. Pour tomato sauce over center of enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place in oven for 20 minutes.

With full-fat cheese and sour cream and no pepper, onions, or diced tomatoes, each enchilada works out to about 370 calories (this is down from about 700 each in my original full-fat everything and lots more cheese version). You can further reduce the calories and fat by using LF or FF cheese and sour cream, or not using cheese in the soup mixture. Other options would be adding corn, black beans, salsa, or rice.
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:49 PM   #52  

GAZPACHO SALAD

Dressing:
3 tablespoons tomato juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

Salad:
6 cups salad greens
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 16-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Combine dressing ingredients, stirring well with whisk.
Combine salad greens and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing mixture, tossing gently to combine. serve immediately
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #53  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes

½ cup buckwheat flour
½ cup whole grain pastry flour
2 tsp Splenda
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup 1% or fat free buttermilk
2 large eggs slightly beaten
¼ cup margarine, melted
1 ¼ cups blueberries

Combine buckwheat flour, pastry flour, Splenda, baking soda in a mixing bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs, and margarine in another mixing bowl. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir just until combined well. Stir in blueberries.

Heat griddle over medium heat until hot enough to cause drops of water to scatter over the surface- about 3 minutes. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Spoon batter onto griddle to form 3 inch rounds. Cook until golden on both sides- 2-3 minutes each side.

Serving size- 4 pancakes. Makes 4 servings. 260 calories, 9g protein, 27g carbs, 13g fat, 4g fiber
Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #54  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Spiced Oatmeal with dried apricots and walnuts (or almonds)

¼ cup walnuts, or almonds
2 cups water
½ cup steel cut oats
12 dried apricots, cut into ¼” pieces
1 ½ tsp sugar free pancake syrup
½ tsp ground cinnamon
salt

Heat oven or toaster over to 275. Spread nuts on a baking tray until fragrant & toasted, about 8-10 mins. Roughly chop. Microwave instr: combine water, oats, apricots, syrup, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in an 8 cup microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, poke vent holes, and cook at full power for 5-7 minutes. Stir, replace plastic wrap, and cook for another 5-7 minutes, until liquid is mostly absorbed. Sprinkle with nuts and serve. Serves 4.

Serving size ½ cup. 180 calories, 5g protein, 28g carbs, 6g fat, 4g fiber
Old 02-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #55  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Almond Energy Blast

1 cup low fat low sugar vanilla soymilk
¾ cup plain fat free or low fat yogurt
6oz firm silken tofu
¼ cup dry roasted almonds.

Place all items in blender, blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Chill before serving.

Makes 2 servings. Serving size 1 cup. 250 calories, 15g protein, 22g carbs, 12g fat, 2g fiber
Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #56  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default South Beach Eggsadilla

1 tsp EVOO
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 8” whole wheat tortilla
2oz reduced fat pepper Jack cheese, sliced or shredded
salt and pepper to taste

heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add eggs, reduce heat to medium, and scramble until cooked, but still moist, about 2 minutes. Remove and season with salt and pepper. Wipe pan clean. Add the tortilla and cook on both sides until warmed through, about 1 minute. Leaving tortilla in the pan, top half of it with cheese, and then with eggs. Fold over the tortilla over to form a quesadilla. Cook on both sides until heated through, 1 minute more. Cut in half, serve.

Makes 2 servings. Serving size ½ eggsadilla. 280 calories, 18g protein, 13g carbs, 17g fat, 1g fiber
Old 02-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #57  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Dutch Apple Pancake

2 tbsp margarine, melted, divided
1 medium granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into ½” slices
1/3 cup whole grain pastry flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Splenda
½ tsp ground cinnamon (1/4 tsp ground nutmeg optional)
¾ cup 1% milk
4 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400F. Heat 1 tbsp of the margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Puree remaining margarine, flour, sugar, splenda, cinnamon, milk, and eggs in a blender until just combined, about 1 minute. Pour batter into skillet, over apples. Bake until puffed and set, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.

Makes 4 servings. 210 calories, 9g protein, 21g carbs, 10g fat, 2g fiber.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #58  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Pear Bran Muffins

1 ½ cups whole grain pastry flour
1 cup wheat bran
2 tbsp splenda
1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 ¼ cups 1% or fat free buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tbsp canola oil
1 Bosc pear, cored and diced
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or coat with cooking spray. Combine flour, bran, Splenda, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs, oil, pear, and vanilla in another mixing bowl.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix until just combined, do not overmix. Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, cool and serve.

Makes 12 servings. 130 calories, 5g protein, 20g carbd, 5g fat, 5g fiber
Old 02-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #59  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Soy Chai Tea, two ways

Hot Soy Chai
1 cup low fat, low sugar plain soymilk
1 decaf chai tea bag
¼ tsp splenda

Heat soymilk until just boiling. Pour over tea bag, cover, and steep 5 minutes. Gently squeeze tea bag, remove, and discard. Serve with sugar substitute, if desired. Makes 1 serving

Iced Soy Chai
4 cups low fat, low sugar plain soymilk
6 decaf chai tea bags
1 tsp splenda

Heat soymilk until just boiling. Pour over tea bag, cover, and steep 5 minutes. Gently squeeze tea bags, remove, and discard. Stir in sugar substitute, if desired, and serve over ice. Makes 4 1 cup servings.

100 calories, 7g protein, 16g carbs, 1.5g fat, 2g fiber
Old 02-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #60  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Warm Artichoke Dip

1 8oz package reduced fat cream cheese
½ cup mayo
½ cup 1% milk
1oz freshly grated parmesan cheese (1/4 cup)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 14oz can artichoke hearts, drained
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper
assorted whole grain crackers

Blend cream cheese, mayo, milk, cheese, garlic, and hot pepper sauce in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add artichokes and pulse until well combined, but still chunky. Transfer to a microwave safe dish. Microwave on medium heat until heated through, turning once or twice, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with crackers.

Makes 12 ¼ cup servings. 140 calories, 4g protein, 5g carbs, 11g fat