Old 09-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 267.4/167.6/150

Height: 5'7"

Shazzer: I'm a numbers person, so for me, it helps to look at the daily weights as only data points, but only the average is really important. There are lots of free apps to track that for you and show you whether the average is increasing or decreasing. Beyond that, I have had a couple of plateaus where even the average didn't drop. For that, I had to keep reminding myself that I was making progress building good habits and that is what I could control. I can't control the results, only the choices, and I was succeeding on the choices. Ultimately, the results will come if you keep making good choices.

If you are someone who gets frustrated rather than motivated by the numbers, you might do better only weighing in once a week or even once a month. Or you can get a scale that links to your app and automatically logs your weight and then just put tape over the display so you can't see it. You can still weigh in every day for the data point, but choose not to look at the daily numbers.
Lacerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:18 AM   #17  
Lacto-ovo vegetarian

S/C/G: 315.8/254/199

Height: 5'6

Hi everyone, I would love to join in. I hit 309 lbs on August 31st and decided to finally fix this situation. My weigh in today was 303.4 (I gain and lose really easily, but apparently have been gaining faster than losing) and my goal for September is 293 lbs., will I make it or succumb to binge eating for the millionth time, tune in to find out! Lol
seriously though here are my stats -
SW:309 (8/31)
CW:303.4
GW:293
using MFP and had a walk today with the hubby and our daughter.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Good morning, friends.

Shazzer, earlier this year I let the scale get to me. I was doing everything right, so I thought, and the scale was just bouncing around 216. I used that to motivate me do start doing some exercise and change a few things up in my diet. It started moving again after a few days of "shock" to my body. It wasn't extreme or anything, but enough to get things moving. I tried not weighing in daily and it actually had a reverse effect.

I cannot believe what a few "off" days will do to your weight loss. I was 192 a few days ago and this morning I am 198! I know it's mostly water weight and it'll come off after a few days, but I can't be letting that happen. I'm part of a Biggest Loser competition on FB and weigh ins are on Fridays. I'll probably be up this week because of my off days...ugh. Oh well...no reason to beat myself up....life happens, it'll be okay.

I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday!
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #19  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/169.4/160

Welcome Candidcamster ! Sounds like an attainable goal for September.
Shazzer, I can get addicted to weighing very easily. So because of that and my work/travel schedule, I only plan on weighing in once a week on Mondays. Weighing on Monday keeps me on track for the weekend too. It's hard to say what will make the numbers bounce. One thing to remember though is that often alcohol can be dehydrating, so you might see a lower number there. I find that carb binges take a few days to show on the scale, and even longer to go away. So for me, a weekly weigh in works best. Trial and error will help you find the path that works for you. Good luck!
etherbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 168/168/145

I lost 3lbs in couple of days. There must be something wrong with my scale 😂 I'm glad I didn't binge last night. Joe
yangtzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #21  

Joe: Way to go. Nothing wrong with your scale. That is success you are seeing. Welcome back to the monthly thread, good to see you again.

sgregg: Like you said, it's water weight and you can drop that pronto. I'm anxious for you to see the 180s.

camster: Good job on the walk and the commitment to getting healthy. Look forward to seeing you more

Week One
01: 176.8
02: 177.4
03: 176.8
04:
05:
06:
07:
---------------------------
Total Loss for Week One:

So looks like I'm back in the "stall" portion of my stall and whoosh pattern. I was hoping to get one more pound from it before I settled in, but at least I'm hovering around 176-177 now instead of between 180-181. And now I'm in my busy week at work from now until the 10th, so just maintaining for the next week is great, anyway.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:31 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 180/158/140

Height: 5.2

Thanks all for your input.

Lacerta - I did not think I was a numbers person - but suddenly with my new watch and my wonderful nerd husband's help - the numbers are becoming more meaningful and helpful. I am less befuddled by them as I track everything. I love that you have your mini goals listed as well as your achievements. In looking at that - I have set a mini goal to be at my wedding weight by my 24th anniversary in November. Thanks for that info!

sgregg - you have come such a long way! Well done. Thanks for your tips.

etherbunny - I did not realize that after alcohol the weight would go down due to dehydration - hmmmm - something for me to watch (and explains a few things for me as well).
Shazzerinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Good morning.

Lacerta, what kind of diet plan are you following? I'm not sure if I asked this before...I'm just curious.

Joe, good job on your 3lbs and no binging!

Camster, welcome to the group!

I'm up this morning, and I am not happy about it. However, after reflecting on what I ate yesterday, there is probably a good reason. I had too many almonds at work around lunch time, and for dinner I knick-knacked on different stuff instead of just making a meal and leaving it alone. So, today, I am refocusing and choosing to eat my meals and be done. I also need to get in more water instead of Diet Dr. Pepper and coffee. I'm going to show a gain in my weight loss challenge this week.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #24  

I didn't sleep well last night due to chest pain and headache. I think it was caused by my high blood pressure. I have been taking pills lately,but the dose might be too low. Joe
sgregg..
don't worry too much, today is a brand new day. you'll be fine
Lacerta.
.you're definetly heading toward the right direction. congrates don't worry too much about one or two lbs. my scale flucuated 5 lbs this week, I think it has something to do with water.
Candidcamster
welcome to the team, a journey of 1000 miles starts from step 1. We are here to support you, post here everyday, no matter ups and downs.

Last edited by yangtzer; 09-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #25  

sgregg: I'm not doing any particular plan. I've just consistently made small changes to my overall diet. I walk 2-5 miles most days and don't eat much sugar, and try to limit my snacking between meals, and if I am going to snack, I keep portion sizes low and choices healthy, like fruit, popcorn or nuts, or I just have some grilled chicken for a snack. I've gradually cut out bread and milk almost entirely (I don't NOT eat them, I just eat a LOT less of them). I haven't had "snacks" like cookies, cake, chips, ice cream, etc hardly ever in the whole process, and don't really miss them much, which is a miracle, considering I used to live on them. I did give in once and buy a bag of Albertson's chocolate chip cookies and ate almost the whole bag in a few days, but that has been my only significant binge I can think of. I do have chocolate every day. I still have pizza about once every 2 months or so. I don't do cheat meals or cheat days. If I really want something that isn't "on plan", I eat it, knowing it is a once in a while thing, and don't consider it a cheat (but I only eat it if I really want it, not just because it is there). I consider it part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle, as long as it stays an occasional treat.

I most often only eat 2 meals per day, breakfast and a late lunch/early dinner. I find that when I eat 3 meals a day, I maintain, and when I eat 2 meals a day, I usually lose. When I'm working the long shifts at work, I tend to need lunch, so I think that, combined with the extra stress, is why I don't generally lose from the 1st to the 10th. Then, when things calm down at work, I cut back on hours, go back to 2 meals a day, and usually lose. I did count calories at the beginning to get a better idea of what I was eating, but since then, I haven't tracked or weighed anything, I just eyeball and estimate. I know I won't sustain the detailed weighing and tracking for the rest of my life, so I had to learn to succeed without it. Fortunately, since I tend to eat the same 20 or 30 foods and not much else, it isn't too hard to learn what I can eat to lose and what makes me gain or maintain. If I'm going to eat something new, I do read the labels and choose the healthiest brand/style. It takes longer this way, because my calories vary more from day to day and I sometimes have to experiment a bit, but I'm focusing on long term success, not speed.

For me, I think the biggest part of losing the weight was getting my hormone imbalances fixed. With both PCOS and hypothyroid, my metabolism is lower than most by a couple hundred-ish calories per day, I'm also insulin resistant and my body really craves sweets. The Metformin and Levothyroxine they put me on really help curb the cravings and helped with insulin levels. Eating less sweets helps my body correct the insulin resistance even more. My metabolism is still lower than most, which means I have less deficit and thus lose very slowly, but the meds help with everything else and I can live with losing slowly, as long as I am losing.

Week One
01: 176.8
02: 177.4
03: 176.8
04: 177.2
05:
06:
07:
Total Loss for Week One:

Still just hanging out right here, which is ok for now.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #26  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/169.4/160

sgregg, I hear you on the diet soda. I find if I grab a Diet Pepsi at work (I rarely buy them for home, but they're free at work) I crave carby foods later. I'm not a fan of plain water so I tend to add crystal light or drink a fizzy water. My current favorite is the coconut pineapple flavored one. Just enough flavor without spiking a sugar craving.

yangtzer, health issues can be scary. Take care of yourself and let us know how you're feeling.

Lacerta, I've been concerned about eventually switching to a maintenance mode. Sounds like you've figured that out already. Your loss is even more impressive knowing that you've done it kind of alone, just making better food choices.

I find myself coming here more often to get a bit of support, or a few words of wisdom. Thank you all for being there even if you don't know how much you're helping!
etherbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #27  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

{Current Weight: 152.8} {Loss: 0.0}
September goals ~
1. Weight: below 150!
2. Meal prep: weekly batch cooking for the week on Saturday and Sunday!
3. On plan: minimum 5 days a week {no maximum, but I won't beat myself up for not having a perfect week!}

Week 1 {9/4}: 152.8
Week 2 {9/11}:
Week 3 {9/18}:
Week 4 {9/25}:

~~~

I'll do personals later; I'm running a little late for work All I can say so far is that I'm glad the 5 days on, 2 days off proved to still keep me in maintenance. Admittedly, I was ALSO confused that I had a couple days off and the weight was well, very stable/dropped...and then after going back on track, it went up again. Ah well! Anyway, mini NSV - I went to visit the old work place and a couple people commented on the weight loss (in a positive manner). I also finally returned back to the gym for the first time since starting the school year. I'm hoping to figure out some sort of routine. Happy Wednesday all!
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #28  
Back with a vengeance

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Starting Weight: 191.4 lbs

Week 1
02: 191.1 lbs
03: 191.9 lbs
04: 191.9 lbs
05:
06:
07:
08:
Average Weight for Week 1:
Total Loss for Week 1:

Week 2
09:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
Average Weight for Week 2:
Total Loss for Week 2:

Week 3

16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
Average Weight for Week 3:
Total Loss for Week 3:

Week 4

23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29:
Average Weight for Week 4:
Total Loss for Week 4:

Having my period right now which hasn't been so bad this month. I'm actually pretty happy since my last few periods have effing sucked. I'm thinking maybe the half the multivitamin a day I'm taking is helping? I take half of one pill because they're way too big and also the full ones turn my pee green! I figured taking half of one might not be a huge impact on my system, so far so good. I did have a little stomach flare up the other night when I ate veggie curry on an empty stomach. Starting to think I have some form of mild IBS as suggested, but it flares up during my period. I've been doing a bad job at my nutrition these days, I made (delicious) brownies with my dutch processed cocoa powder i.e. stupid expensive for what it is cocoa powder, but they are sooo good and I can't stop eating them. I just finished my last one so I'm glad that they're all gone at last!

Weight has been pretty consistently 191 lbs which I'm ok with, will be nice to see those 180's again soon fingers crossed. Hoping life kinda calms down a bit, getting a kitten has been a delightful challenge to my routine.

Shazzerinthesun - I use average weights. I use an app called RecStyle, it's a very simple weight app but I love it because it will calculate averages for each week. That's why on my chart above I put "Average weight for week one". I could start the week at 191 lbs but let's say hypothetically I end the week on 198 lbs. If I just weighed in twice then my average weight would be 194.5 lbs, which is must nicer to see than 198 lbs! Your weight is always going to fluctuate throughout the week, so average weight can be a great way to ground yourself.

Candidcamster - Hello and welcome!

sgregg - Water weight is the woooorst. Even though I'm sure you're disappointed in your gain, you're starting to identify what's going on to cause the gain which is great progress.

Lacerta - Even though you're stalled, you're stalled in the mid-170's!! That's so awesome!

yang - Sorry that you've been having some health issues, time to see the doctor?

Atarimae - Heeey nice to see you! Yeah I kinda fell off the face of the weight loss planet for a while. I'm back trying to make better life choices overall and weight loss was put on the back burner for a while. Now I'm almost back to my original weight back when I first joined 3FC all those years ago Oh well! I, too, am trying to figure out what's realistic for me. I'm trying to weigh daily but I do skip days here and there. I also refrained from making challenges like I used to, I think those ended up being a big problem for me mentally. Like, I'd see all these awesome people losing and beat myself up for not doing the same. These threads have been super helpful for me to just check in with myself and get some casual support Congrats on all the progress you've made! I bet those compliments felt good.

Last edited by Riestrella; 09-04-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:39 AM   #29  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

YAY, I have returned and kept my promise of 'doing personals later.' Great start to being accountable to my word. Haha! I'm finding this week to be a struggle since I was feeling under the weather and didn't meal prep during my 3-day weekend. It's so tempting to just go out and buy fast food or takeout (granted there are low carb options if I did so), but for the week, I'll have to make do with what little I DO have in the fridge. It's a shame that in my first weekend of September, I already managed to not stay on track! Oh well. No sense worrying about what didn't happen; time to just move forward.

Shazz ~ Hope you're recovering well! We have similar goal weights, although I'm much less ambitious! It's baby steps on my end hehe. I do notice that sometimes your scale bouncing question happens to me! It's just SO weird! Sometimes it just takes me reminding myself that one day's weight doesn't reflect on the entire journey. I also notice things like when I feel bloated or am not 'peeing' as much/retaining water. I don't really have anything that I look to as a NSV (as a constant) though, so like you, I look forward to hearing other tips.
yang ~ I firmly believe it's totally fine to go all in during vacation! Hope you had an enjoyable trip!
sgregg ~ Yay for keto buddies! Do you track your macros at all? I noticed that I'm kind of lazily/intuitively doing keto and focusing more on the low carb bit, rather than upping fats...which I suppose leans toward Atkins haha! Great job on staying on plan during the cookout! We had a belated birthday dinner full of marinated, sweet Korean food on Sunday. Oops! And yes, I teach kindergarten this year. I swear they're my workout! Are there any keto 'influencers' that you're particularly fond of and follow?
etherbunny ~ Good luck with your goals! I will be posting weigh-ins weekly too, but I've been trying to be more active around here.
gardenerjoy ~ I totally feel you on the love/hate relationship with daily weigh-ins!
Lacerta ~ Oof, popcorn sounds good. But yes, always another day!
Candid ~ Welcome! Congratulations on your loss so far. It seems like a relatively active bunch here, which I am grateful for. Yay for the family time walk!

Phew! Large bunch today. So great to see such a huge support system on here after all these years.
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #30  

Quick post. Need to see dentist today! Joe