Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Default Squats Challenge

For the next 6 weeks, I’m tackling the 200 squats challenge (details here). Anybody else up for it? To join, just add a post to this thread and edit as you go along. Anybody can join, any time, work at your own pace, make it your own.

I’ll be working out Tues—Thurs—Sat. I’ll post the total # of squats I did that day plus the # I managed to get through on the very last set (e.g. 60/13). I’m putting all my numbers on my first post. I'm away from a computer till Thursday the 4th, so will update then.

I’m also posting some info about the challenge, proper form, and the “balance challenged!” (ok, that’s me.)
Losing80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #2  

Default What is the squats challenge?

If you’re not familiar with it, this website presents three 6-week challenges to help improve your basic fitness: squats (200), situps (200), and pushups (100). I just finished the pushups challenge, and I couldn’t stop laughing when I did 100 in a row in that last week. Me? Seriously?! Some weeks were killer, but it was all preparation for the last, and I think easiest, week. BTW I have bad wrists and elbows and rotator cuff issues, so I modified the workout against the wall. Now that I'm stronger, I'm modifying the workout on padded floor mats. If I can do this, anybody can!

Basically, you take an initial performance test, which slots you into one of three levels of activity based on your test results. You work out three times per week, doing a little more each workout. You’ll take another benchmark test after weeks 2 and 4. You might find out you’re improving so much you should move up into the next, more challenging, workout group. If you test really high, you can skip ahead to tougher weeks. If you’re finding it tough going, you can always repeat the week or even go back and start over at an earlier, easier week.

Each workout will take you through several sets. On the very last set, try to complete as many reps as they recommend – which increases every workout! – but do only as many good form reps as you can. If you can blow past the minimum reps and keep going, knock yourself out!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #3  

Default Proper form and the “balance challenged”

You want to keep your back as straight as you can, chest as high as possible, head looking straight ahead. Keep your weight in your heels. To prevent knee strain, don’t come down so far that your knees go out past your toes, and don’t let your butt go down further than your knees. Sink down into your heels, and press up from your heels. Imagine you’re trying to sit down in a wooden chair, but you change your mind just before your butt hits the seat, so you stand back up.

Most of us will be tempted to slump forward or hold our head and chin in a weird position. Some of us will find it tough as first to keep form or to keep our balance. I’m personally very wobbly.

Here’s a trick I learned in Body Pump: put one end of a barbell firmly on the floor just in front of your feet, right out in front of your nose. You can use a mop or broom or your vacuum, but make sure it won’t slide away (put down a rubber potholder for grip). Now grip it with both hands straight out at should level. Keep your hands in the same spot as you squat down and up.

This is just a crutch for form and balance, not to help you get back up! If you’re relying on the broom to pull yourself up again, you’ve lost your form and you’re done for the day.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #4  

Notes: I'm using my vacuum to keep my balance steady. I can't get down as far as I'd like. It's not that my thighs hurt, but my hips feel like tight rubber bands. Time to find some stretches. 26 reps on the first test - wow I'm wobbly now! My thighs are giving me a talking to! This puts me in the third column for workouts. Oh lucky me.

Initial test: 26 (not pretty, but I got 'er done! thank you Hoover)
Week 1: 60/13 -- 75/20 -- 79/18
Week 2: 84/20 -- 96/23 --
Endurance test:
Week 3:
Week 4:
Endurance test:
Week 5:
Week 6:

200 Squats!!

Last edited by Losing80; 03-11-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: update #s
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #5  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Sorry I can't join you on this challenge. I have been forbidden to take on anything new until my strength training class and the push up challenge are both over.

Good luck with the squats.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote