Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Cool Banking on Weightloss challenge

Hey ya'll

So, weight loss is truely a numbers game. If you take in fewer calories than you burn in a day...you lose weight More calories in than you burn in a day...you gain weight and if you take in the same amount that you burn you stay the same Sounds simple right?

WRONG! Well for some of us anyways it can be much crazier than that I am the world's worst at making a plan and saying..."I will just do it tomorrow"....or I slip up and eat something I shouldn't and say, "Man, now today is ruined so I will start tomorrow!"

I guess what I should be asking myself is, "When is tomorrow gonna get here?"

Well today is my tomorrow.

I have decided to look at weight loss as a banking system rather than an all or nothing type of thing. I am figuring up how many calories per day I need (see below) and multiplying that number times the number of days in the month to get a monthly budget.

This way I don't have to stick to a set amount of calories per day. My body will not get used to getting a set amount of calorie per day, and along with my calorie withdrawls (meals) I can also make calorie deposits (exercise).

So anyways...come join me if you like We can be successful together

Here is how I calculated my budget...If you have questions about why I did something just ask. -->

If this looks overwelming to you...just ask for help..it is really easy and sometimes just reading the instructions makes things sound more difficult than they really are...

Step #1 - Decide how much weight you want to lose in a month or given time period ( I will probably do monthly Challenges). Deduct this amount from your current weight and multiply it times 10. This will give you a rough estimate of your BMR (calories burned per day at rest).

Step #2 - Add to your BMR the number of calories per day you burn just doing regular daily activities (this is an estimate and if you need help with this I have access to an online calculator that helps with this...I can share)...after you add these two numbers together you will get the number of calories you burn per day without any extra added exercise.

Step #3 - Now take that number of pounds you wanted to lose and multiply it times 3,500 calories (cause there are 3,500 calories in a pound). Divide this number by however many days there are in the month. This is the number of calories you need to be deficient per day to lose that amount of weight.

Step #4 - Subtract #3 from #2. This is how many calories per day you can eat and lose that amount of weight without exerciseing theoretically. Take this number and multiply it times the number of days in the month and you have your monthly budget.

Step #5 - Create a ticker for your signature with your monthly budget on it. When you eat deduct those calorie from your budget. When you exercise add those calories to your budget....but at the end of the month..

DON'T BE OVERDRAWN!!!!!

Let's see if it works?!?!?!
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #2  

Here are my numbers -->

Step #1 - I would like to lose 18 pounds this month..I know crazy lady but I'm shooting for it. When I started Nov. 1st I weighed 263 pounds. So 263 -18 = 245. So, 245 is what I should weigh at the end of the month. 245 x 10 = 2450. That is my rough estimate of my BMR which is my number of calories I would burn per day if all I did was lay in bed all day.

Step#2 - at www.caloriecheckbook.com, I was told that I burn around 900 calories extra per day....at a sedentary level of just going about all my daily activities...so 2450 + 900 = 3350 which is the number of calories per day ROUGHLY that I burn doing NO EXERCISE

Step #3 - The amount of weight I want to lose 18 x 3500 = 63,000 calories total that I have to come up short this month to lose 18 pounds. 63,000 / 30 (cause there are 30 days this month) = 2,100

Step #4 - 3,350 - 2,100 = 1,250. So, theoretically if I eat 1,250 calories per day and do no exercise I should lose 18 pounds this month. Multiply my daily calorie total by the number of days in the month (1250 x 30) and I get a monthly calorie budget of 37,500 calories.

Step #5 - I got my siggy ready! Looks like I may be in need of depositing some exercise calories soon!

Good luck if you need help just ask
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I think this is a really neat idea and would like to join you! I'll be doing my math now and editing this post with it in a few.

Okay, I got my ticker set up. Let's see if this really works for us.

Last edited by Purplefirefly; 11-04-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #4  

Hey there purple! Long time no see!!!! or would it be long time no post...LOL

I have been MIA but I'm back and I've lost almost 3 pounds! (2.2 to be exact....but that is 2.2 in three days!!!)

How have you been?

So did you figure your calories for the next 27 days since there are only 27 days left or do you already know your calorie info for the 1st and the 2nd?

I sure hope more people sign up...LOL...other wise its just me and you!

Oh well...if it works...they will come

Last edited by McKenziesmomma; 11-04-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I am doing okay. I have been dealing with a serious bout of clinical depression and just literally hibernating my life away. I am trying to pull myself together again and get back to a healthier lifestyle. I just can't seem to shake the blues this time around.

Anyway, I am going to be tracking this on paper rather than a ticker. It is just too difficult to get online every time I eat or exercise, so keeping a pad and paper right in the kitchen is going to be more realistic for me.

I think you will see success again, just keep going.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #6  

Well looks like it is just gonna be me and you on this one!

I think a pen and paper is fine...maybe you can just log on weekly and update your ticker

I'm sorry you have been feeling blue lately. I think if you stick to your guns you will feel better about yourself soon and hopefully feel better all the way around!