Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Frugal dieting challenge!

Dieting on a budget challenge! Anyone want to do a dieting on a budget challenge? I'm on a new financial budget and I'm trying to track what groceries I buy and what I eat. I'm using coupons, shopping at Sams Club and I'm learning some new "tricks" to the trade. On Sun I cooked a huge amount of steak, put it into the packages I saved from Lean Cuisine meals and made my own dinners that are frozen...

How about challenging each other to SAVE money while dieting? Share ideas about deals at stores, and how to save?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've made my own frozen meals for a long time. Now I tend to make the meat course only, and cook vegetables fresh, and the pasta/rice/potato if having it. If you want to go complete (ie. adding pasta before freezing) the one tip I can offer is to put the pasta/rice in to containers first and freeze. Then later put the sauce/meat on top, freeze again. It helps to keep the pasta from getting soft. I also do the same with soup - making a large pot and freezing 1-1/2 to 2 cup portions in those bowls you often get from frozen bowl-type meals.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I don't have alot of money to spend on food either. My new breakfast entree i can make for a whole week, it's low in calories and not very expensive to make. It's one bag of frozen broccolie, one carton of egg whites, 1 cup low fat cheese, half a cup of diced onions, 1 cup skim milk and salt and pepper to taste. You can cut these up into squares, wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap in aluminum foil and freeze them. Then take them out of the freezer, unwrap, place in the oven or microwave until warm again. Anyways, to make it...you sautee the thawded brocoli and onions in a little bit of water until soft. Pour them in a baking dish, poor carton of egg whites and cup of milk on top and stir around, add cheese and salt and pepper. cook for 45 on 350. (oh...and for some reason, you put the baking dish inside of another larger pan that is filled with about one inch of water.) when you insert the knife and it comes out clean from the center, the casserole is ready.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oh I'm frugal and proud of it! Actually I prefer to say that I'm a cheapskate.

One of my favorite cheap foods is oatmeal (the store brand plain oatmeal). It costs less than $2.00 for a large canister and it has 30 servings. What is that, less than 7 cents per serving (!). I have a freezer at home and I stock up when foods go on sale. I find chicken breasts, pork loins, chicken tenderloins on sale and I stock up. I'll repackage them when I get home and put them in the freezer. Also, Kroger has there store brand frozen vegetables on sale about every 6 week. (10 packs for $10) I stock up on that too.

I freeze leftovers too so that I can have a quick and easy meal on days that I need it.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

One frugal trick I read in a book - for those who eat out - NEVER eat dinner out. I travel for business and never thought much about it, but it's true dinner is more expensive if we stop at a nice restaurant. Lunch is cheaper. And NEVER buy a soda or drink with a meal out, only water, drinks can add $1.50-2 to a bill. I am on a BUDGET this year, things are tight so any tips from others would be appreciated! The author of Frugal Living for Dummies suggests doing a contest with ones self, writing down the cost of various items at stores to compare. I don't even really know if something is really a good price or not, I never really paid attention. BUT this week I had the grocery flyers out, I clipped coupons and already I bet I saved $80 this week between business, auto and groceries... I haven't figured what I save in making my own frozen meals, but I did it again tonight, made the yummiest shrimp scampi with tomatoes and chickpeas, then froze two other dinners with veggies for later on. Those frozen meals like Lean Cuisine can sure add up.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:33 AM   #6  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

I'm DEFINITELY on a budget this year, seeing as how I'm saving up for a house + move to Alabama to be with my boyfriend.

For a long time, I was using those pre-mixed bagged salads that you get in the produce department of the grocery store. Not anymore! I save SO much money by just buying my veggies of choice and chopping them "the old fashioned way". Really, those bagged mixes don't hold very much when you consider the price.

I also buy store-brand most all of the time. Sure, it may not taste EXACTLY the same as more pricey stuff, but if you just take a little time to figure out what's missing, you can generally correct the taste pretty easily.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #7  

What I've been trying to stick to:
1. Stock up at Costco so we don't get any take-out (they have great vegetarian frozen pizzas--no $20 pizza delivery)
2. Have my kids pack lunches for school--they are fine with that
3. No Starbucks!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I love this thread! I buy stuff when it's on sale. Our Wal-mart recently had ground turkey in one pound packages for $1. Regular, sausage, and Italian sausage. I think I bought 20. We've tried to go away from red meat, so not only was it a great deal, it's healthy! I also buy in bulk at Sam's and shop the ads. I'm not the best coupon person, but I'm trying to get better at it.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I would recommend finding a copy of The Tightwag Gazette (free at your local library if possible.) The author has some amazing tips of being frugal!

I like to buy my grains, beans, spices, etc. in bulk at our local health food store. It's cheaper, I can buy small amounts if I'm trying something new (no waste), and I'm supporting a local business. I also bring my own jars to buy honey, molasses, soy sauce etc. You'd be amazed how much you save by using your own packaging! I think a lot of food cost is in the packaging and advertising.

I like to buy veggies in season, they are almost always cheaper then when out of season (ie. root veggies in winter, berries/greens/tomatoes in the summer.) During the summer I shop at the Farmer's Market which seems to be cheaper for us here.

Usually making things from scratch is cheaper then premade food, so if you have time, cooking can really help!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote