Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/166.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy I'm New..

and am just starting to realize that I have a problem. I have struggled with my weight on & off throughout my adult life but have never been more than 20 lbs overweight, but that doesn't matter, does it?

Lately I've realized that I am a compulsive eater at times, that I'm an emotional eater, that I use food as comfort. I've been sneaking food, looking forward to times when I can eat alone, and once I start I have a hard time stopping. I eat too fast and as soon as I'm done I'm looking for the next food to comfort me. Though I am mostly eating "healthy" foods, I am consuming way too much of them and my weight is creeping up slowly. I do this mainly when my SO isn't around, he'd be appalled to see the constant grazing. I'm embarrassed and ashamed myself.

I want to change, achieve a "normal" way of eating where I'm not consumed by food, lose some weight and get healthier, both physically and emotionally. Where do I start?
strega*luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #2  

welcome strega!!
hopefully you will get lots of great advice from the many wonderful people in here!!
where to start?? have you tried writing down your feelings before-after a binge? to see if you can pinpoint why you are doing it? we all have different reasons for binging. maybe just identifying the issue would be helpful.

good luck on your journey!! and again welcome!!
justjodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/166.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks so much, Jodi. Great idea about the journaling, I'm going to try that! Right off the top of my head I know that extreme stress and anxiety are triggers for the bingeing, right now I just had a run-in w/my x-dh and all I want to do is head for comfort in the pantry. I'm resisting, though, am going to do some deep breathing and write out my feelings. Thanks again.
strega*luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #4  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Talking Welcome!

Well you have already made the 1st step by coming here and admitting it to yourself. You will find lots of support and advice here. A big help to me when I first came here was reading, reading, reading posts and participating too. But you don't have to participate at first, if you don't want. You can just pop in and say HI if you want or just "jump" right in, whatever you feel comfortable with.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:41 AM   #5  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

!!

You already did the first two steps: you aknowledged that you have a problem with your eating behaviour and you came here to find help. Congratulations

As justjodi already said, a Food Journal would be a great start.

And it really doesnīt matter HOW much (or less) you are overweight- the problem is the same. But you can be sure that your weight is most likely to go up when you go on with your emotional eating. It just gets worse with time...But you are already on your way to recovery, so donīt worry about that!

Kate
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Strega, welcome!

I agree... journaling is such a good tool. It's SO hard to do, but keep working at it, and it'll become a habit.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #7  
Detangler

Strega*Luna,

I'm in a similar boat. Not overweight, just unhealthy. But I'm also slowly gaining.
What can you do instead of eating when you're stressed or anxious? Go for a run, strangle a pillow, call a friend, get some fresh air, read a relaxing book, come here and post, write a poem, light a pretty-smelling candle? Just some ideas

Welcome, so glad you've come here.

Meg
_knot is offline   Reply With Quote