Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default What is wrong with me?

Please excuse my long post..I needed to get this out. Thanks for listening ladies!
I've been doing WW since March and I have lost 35 lbs. and then yet lately I have been slipping..and then when I slip and binge and I want to purge it...Which to be quite honest is not something I ever really did before..I mean I've always had problem with binging but not with purging..and even now it isn't a "problem" because I don't do it all the time..But anyway..it seems like always this time of year is when I slip back into old habits and the weight goes back on..at least that is how it has been for the last few years.. I'll go back the last few years to show my point:
2004-I had gotten up to 210 and I started to diet Feb....My diet lasted roughly until Sept. and during it I lost about 30 lbs.
2005-I went from about 185 in July 2004 to 210 again..Feb. 2005 I started dieting again..that lasted until about August and I lost about 20 lbs..got down to about 190. Then I slipped big time and went up to 220 by Feb. 06..then in March 06 I started WW..
So I don't understand what it is about this time of year that makes me slip..and it isn't because of overeating because of holidays because I live thousands of miles from family and don't really do anything for holidays at all...I just don't want to slip this time..I am desperate to keep losing..and yet I really haven't lost any weight in several months now and am struggling each week not to gain any weight back.
gremlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #2  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

Honey, I wish I had something helpful to tell you, but I really don't. I just wanted you to know that I read this, and I care. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #3  
Future Belly Dancer

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlina View Post
Please excuse my long post..I needed to get this out. Thanks for listening ladies!
I've been doing WW since March and I have lost 35 lbs. and then yet lately I have been slipping..and then when I slip and binge and I want to purge it...Which to be quite honest is not something I ever really did before..I mean I've always had problem with binging but not with purging..and even now it isn't a "problem" because I don't do it all the time..But anyway..it seems like always this time of year is when I slip back into old habits and the weight goes back on..at least that is how it has been for the last few years.. I'll go back the last few years to show my point:
2004-I had gotten up to 210 and I started to diet Feb....My diet lasted roughly until Sept. and during it I lost about 30 lbs.
2005-I went from about 185 in July 2004 to 210 again..Feb. 2005 I started dieting again..that lasted until about August and I lost about 20 lbs..got down to about 190. Then I slipped big time and went up to 220 by Feb. 06..then in March 06 I started WW..
So I don't understand what it is about this time of year that makes me slip..and it isn't because of overeating because of holidays because I live thousands of miles from family and don't really do anything for holidays at all...I just don't want to slip this time..I am desperate to keep losing..and yet I really haven't lost any weight in several months now and am struggling each week not to gain any weight back.

What are you eating? PM me a menu or reply and maybe I or someone else can help.
Allycatisfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #4  

Aww thanks ladies. I appreciate you guys just listening to me really. Most of my friends are skinny and my DH actually says he thinks I don't need to lose weight...
I think honestly this back and forth it has something to do with the weather. I live in Germany and the weather here this time of year is horrible so I probably don't get as much exercise as I do during other times. I know I have slipped the last few days especially on binging on junk foods..which I should not even keep in the house except that DH actually encourages me to get them...and of course I don't want to deprive him of junk food because he doesn't need to lose weight..in fact he has such a fast metabolism he can eat anything and not gain weight. I don't binge in front of DH though and DH has been working nights..when I am most vulnerable to binge...I really need to get the junk food out of my house I think!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/149/137

Height: 5'4"

I totally understand where you're coming from...I think this time of year is hard for a lot of people...it's supposed to make you feel warm and fuzzy b/c of the holidays and family, blah blah blah, but as you said...you don't even see your family. Maybe that's what your missing, and that's why your eating to make up for their absence? Sorry for playing the psychologist, but I try to figure this out for every time I eat, and I find it's easier to do it with other people than with myself. Hope it makes you think, though, and helps at least a little. I am having a hard time, too, I work in a restaurant, and when I work a double shift (all day and night) I just get so stressed out by rude customers and everything else that I just freak out and eat anything in sight, which is obviously quite a lot (yesterday was Reese's, bakery cookies, bruschetta, cheesecake, ugh!! Sorry, I didn't mean to make this thread about me...haha...I just want to let you know I'm right there with you and good luck!
chika761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #6  
Future Belly Dancer

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlina View Post
Aww thanks ladies. I appreciate you guys just listening to me really. Most of my friends are skinny and my DH actually says he thinks I don't need to lose weight...
I think honestly this back and forth it has something to do with the weather. I live in Germany and the weather here this time of year is horrible so I probably don't get as much exercise as I do during other times. I know I have slipped the last few days especially on binging on junk foods..which I should not even keep in the house except that DH actually encourages me to get them...and of course I don't want to deprive him of junk food because he doesn't need to lose weight..in fact he has such a fast metabolism he can eat anything and not gain weight. I don't binge in front of DH though and DH has been working nights..when I am most vulnerable to binge...I really need to get the junk food out of my house I think!

I weight 228. MY fiance says that I don't need to lose weight. He says if I'm craving, then just eat it. Easy for him to say! He's 180 pounds and over six feet. I kept telling him that I'm fat and need to lose. I finally got fed up with his attitude towards my weight loss and had to explain to him that it was not about being thin, that it was because I'm unhappy with the way I look and feel and that I needed to be at a more normal weight range for health reasons. So now he understands and knows that if he wants junk, he can go get it himself.
Allycatisfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #7  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Gremlina, I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now. I'm most concerned with your desire to "purge". How do you purge? Have you done it yet? I'm worried about that more than I am your weight gain. Have you talked to anyone about this? I'm sorry if I'm nosy, it just scared me! *hug*
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #8  

chika761- That is true..I am not around my family for the holidays which stinks! I also am used to walking everywhere but I walk a whole lot less in the bitter cold winters..I don't know..You made some very good points about why I probably have been overeating.. I don't think I am purposely trying to sabatoge myself but I do think I am eating because I am bored and lonely..

Allycatisfat-That sounds about how my hubby is. He will just say when I say I want something than just eat.. Like you said..easy for him to say. My DH is 160 lbs. But you know I do appreciate the fact he says that he loves me the way I am even though sometimes it frustrates me.

hoodj0080-No I have not talked to anyone else about this. It took a lot for me to admit the thoughts I've been have even here on this board kwim?
Old 11-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #9  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

I happen to agree with the ladies that have suggested it might be attached to something emotional or psychological. I know that territory because I have been there, and still sometimes end up there. I'm not a psychologist, I just find that's the case more often than not with me, and with a lot of other ladies here.
I can also empathize with our DH's attitudes toward our weight loss/gain/maintenance. In the end I put it just as bluntly towards my DF, and he finally understands and started supporting me in the ways I needed. I needed him to be as strong in his resolve about my weight loss as I have to be. Because quite often, I sometimes feel like if someone says just do it, it's almost like giving me permission to binge. And like you, I rarely binge in front of him. One lady in this forum mentioned that sometimes to stop the late night cravings, she just simply had to go to sleep. I like to read a book. Or if I'm really craving food or a cigarette, I just sit down and drink an entire bottle of water (500 mL). I get so full from the water, that it stops me more often than not. If you're bored or lonely late at night, can you call someone? Talk it out with them on the phone? I like the idea of having a support buddy. Someone you can call that will help talk you down from that cupboard. As for all the crap in the house, my DF loves the junk food. I store it all in a cupboard above my fridge where I have to use a step ladder to reach it. I just hate opening my pantry and seeing all that junk eyeing me... Haha. I'm much stronger in the face of junk when it's not looking back at me.
As for the thoughts of purging, what were you initially thinking about when the thought came to mind? Could it be attached to a specific emotion or event? For example, you mention that you're desperate not to gain the weight back again this winter. Could this have brought the thought to mind?

I would suggest starting with something simple. Sit down by yourself and write out your goals. What do you want to accomplish this winter? Now what are you going to do to get there? Be very detailed, think of every loop hole. And remember, walking doesn't have to be outside. You can do a number of exercises in your own home. I like to do aerobics in the morning for 30 minutes with a lady on cable TV.

And remember that you are worth it! We all are.
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #10  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Gremlina, I'm proud of you for talking about this!!!
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #11  

Unfortantely I do not have any friends here where I live at all to talk to (they have all moved..tis the life of being a military spouse..you meet someone and then they move or you move) and calling to the States a lot gets expensive..

martiniforme-Thank you for the good ideas..I was thinking of starting this cross stitch I have had to keep my fingers busy...Keeping myself busy will be less likely to munch. I am also going to try not to by junk when we go to the grocery store again! :-)
Old 11-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #12  

Two binge free days..and didn't buy junk at the grocery store on Tuesday. Yay!