Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Possibly good tips to avoid a binge

Not anything new but somethings I wanted to remind everyone about. Ive been pretty successfull at averting binges. Yes I will admit that I've exhibited some binge like behavior....and fell victim to some small binges, but I've been successfull at regaining control quickly if not avoiding them all together.

One think that has worked recently for me - telling myself that if I really want what it is I "think" I need to eat at the moment, then I should give myself 30-40 minutes and if I still want it...I can have it in moderation. Yeah, the moderation is a tricky one for me, but if I can do it, anyone can.

Ive been writing down everything in a small notebook that I carry in my purse. Even if I eat a couple bites of my sons mac and cheese or a bag of chips (yes shame on me lol) I write it down. Being honest with myself is helping.

Lastly, it's been said many many times, keep healthy foods around just in case. I think someone here posted that they would eat a whole bag of microwave popcorn. I've done it too, for me, it is binge like behavior, but a deterrant as well. I think eating a bag of light popcorn at 300 or so calories is much better than a bag of doritoes and ice cream.

oh and I wanted to add, that I have a stationary bike that my laptop fits nicely on. So instead of sitting at a desk and doing nothing, I'm able to surf and excercise at the same time. I know not everyone will be able to do this, but if you can....its great!

Last edited by mammasita; 06-05-2006 at 06:57 PM.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #2  

These are good tips...thank you!

I wanted to add one, if that's okay. Be careful with this one, though...I would imagine for some people, it could have the opposite effect. Anyway...I've found that if I really, really want something, and I try to deny myself that food, then that can precipitate a binge. So...sometimes, eating the desired food (within reason) can stop me from all-out bingeing. If I put it off and put it off and try to talk myself out of it, then by the time I do eat it, I'm wolfing it down...and then I've "blown it" so I go hog-wild. So sometimes it's better to have some of what you want, even if your calories for the day are a little higher than you would like. You can always go back to being "perfect" (har!) tomorrow, which is MUCH easier starting from, say, 300 extra calories of a sliver of carrot cake or whatever, than from two thousand calories of bingeing. Just my $.02.
MyThreeTots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThreeTots
These are good tips...thank you!

I wanted to add one, if that's okay. Be careful with this one, though...I would imagine for some people, it could have the opposite effect. Anyway...I've found that if I really, really want something, and I try to deny myself that food, then that can precipitate a binge. So...sometimes, eating the desired food (within reason) can stop me from all-out bingeing. If I put it off and put it off and try to talk myself out of it, then by the time I do eat it, I'm wolfing it down...and then I've "blown it" so I go hog-wild. So sometimes it's better to have some of what you want, even if your calories for the day are a little higher than you would like. You can always go back to being "perfect" (har!) tomorrow, which is MUCH easier starting from, say, 300 extra calories of a sliver of carrot cake or whatever, than from two thousand calories of bingeing. Just my $.02.
Definitely a good tip. Although I normally have a problem with moderation, I let myself have what I want.....I agree with you 100%!!!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #4  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Good tips! I definitely stock my kitchen with healthy stuff! I keep huge bags of lettuce, cut up veggies and fruits. It doesn't stop a binge, but if I binge I don't do as much damage as I would with cake, cookies, candies....

My very best tip for avoiding a binge is to not get too hungry (especially when going to the grocery store!) and to eat PLENTY of protein and fiber.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #5  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

thanx for the tips.. all of them are wonderful..
I too have a food journal and log everything, from water to exercise. I try to be honest and log even the binges.. I do however put a large line through the day with thick black ink. I do this as a reminder to myself that I have to STOP these food binges. I am doing better, the binges are getting fewer.
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote