Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #1  

recipe follows *warning*

recipe thread sounds good! I got the recipe for that from a diabetic cookbook... will share.

1 cup raw brown rice
chicken broth, enough to cook the rice
1 can blackeye peas (Goya makes some)
1 med onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 tbsp olive or canola oil
4 slices turkey bacon
cayenne pepper and/or cayenne pepper sauce to taste

tip: roll up the turkey bacon and freeze it on a cookie sheet or something like that, then when it's in frozen keep it in a freezer container/bag. that way it won't go bad, if you don't use much often.

brown the bacon, crumble and set aside. (There isn't much fat so I just leave it. like not 1/4 tsp.) saute the onion & celery in the olive oil until tender, about ten minutes. drain the peas reserving the liquid and add them, the bacon, the dry rice and pepper/sauce to the stuff in the pan. add the pea liquid and then chicken broth to total the amount of liquid needed to cook the rice (see the package; it varies).

you can do it with white rice. You can make the stuff separately and serve it over cooked rice. I love it with collard greens, but then I love collard greens. hated
'em growing up.

this is roughly 315 calories per serving. if you need more info than that let me know and i'll get it for you.
CackyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Lightbulb Recipes!!!

If you have any healthy recipes you'd like to share, please post them here!

Cacky, again, humble apologies for deleting your recipe. sigh. It's just one of those days.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #3  

oh I didn't notice Thanks for starting this thread! I need ideas because I'm prone to lack variety.
CackyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #4  

Phew! I found it, Cacky!!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ohhh I gotta get my Volumetrics book and check out the recipies for here. Will do soon.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #6  
Steph

I had this at a 50th Birthday Party that I attended a few weeks back. It was SO good, it counted as my fruit serving for lunch. You can eat the salsa by itself, as a side (which is what I did) or with the tortilla chips, as a dip.

Apple Salsa and Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
2 medium tart apples (Granny Smith) chopped
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
2 medium Kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
1 small orange
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup finly shredded cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed (I believe Splenda may have a sub. for this)
2 tablespoos apple jelly, melted
8, 8-inch flour (white or wheat) tortilla shells
water
1/4 cup granulated sugar (can sub with Splenda or whatever sub you may use)

In a large bowl, toss in the chopped apples with the lemon juice to keep from browning. Add the chopped strawberries, kiwi, red onion, and bell peppers. Grate about one tablespoon of orange peel (the zest) into the bowl. Then slice the orange in half and squeeze out about 3 tablespoons of the orange juice (remove the seeds first). Stir in the brown sugar, jelly and cilantro leaves; cover and refridgerate. (When ready to serve, try to pull it out about 15 minutes early so it's no so cold).

Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Brush both sides of the tortillas with a tiny bit of water, just enought to allow the sugar and cinnamon to stick.
Blend together the (1/4 cup) sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it lightly over the tortillas, covering both sides.
Cut each tortilla into 8 equal pie-shaped wedges and place in a single layer on a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with a non-stick spray or a thin brush of butter.
Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, or until ightly brown. Cool until crisp, then serve with the apple salsa.
Blessed and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #7  
banned

Location: Connecticut, but next year I plan on going to college in Colorado.....We shall see!!!

cabbage mush:
purple cabbage(chopped small pieces)
frozen spinach
frozen asparagus
water
--get a skillet and put water in the botton and put all ingredients in and let water come to a boil and then let it cook for about 30-45 min, and be sure to put a lid on your skillet so the cabbage..etc can cook!!
--EAT! its really good, Iknow it sounds funny and too easy to be good, but trust me!!
Giasbash6260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:10 PM   #8  

I just made these for the first time. The recipe is from the South Beach diet. They are AMAZING!!

Roasted Chickpeas
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Open 3-15 ounce cans of garbanzo beans (chick peas) and dump into a colander.
Rinse well with cold water.
Drizzle with olive or canola oil, tossing until well coated.
Add about a teaspoon of pickling salt (larger grains) and spices to taste. I used chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
Mix well and spread on a baking sheet.
Roast for about 30 minutes, tossing frequently for even baking.
Remove and set aside to cool.
* I had to cook mine for much longer to make them chewy. I roasted them at 425 degrees for a good 45 minutes, turning them every 15 minutes.

Be careful! These can be addictive!
Old 04-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 234/215/135

Great easy recipe for Blackened Fish. I use tilapia. Rinse fish and pat dry. Lightly spray fish with Pam. Coat with Old Bay Blackening spices. Spray skillet with Pam and heat. Cook fish on medium high for 3 minute each side. This is soooo good and easy I eat it a couple of times a week.
cayzee is offline   Reply With Quote