Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #1  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Question Do You Eat on Autopilot?

Well I do! I can be sitting watching TV or doing crafts, etc. and all of a sudden, I get up and walk like a zombie to the fridge or pantry and find myself in a trance-like state searching for something to eat whether I'm hungry or not

I'll share my idea - it sounds a bit whacky, but it seems to be working for me: I put a large rubber band on my wrist (no too tight, you don't want to cut off your circulation ) and every time I find myself in front of the fridge or pantry I give it a tug and zap my wrist (not too hard) and it kind of wakes me up and makes me think twice about what I'm about to eat. It also works when I'm grocery shopping and I find myself staring like a zombie at the bakery items. I went to the stationery store and bought a bag of brightly colored rubber bands so they match my outfits! I started doing this a month ago and have lost 5 lbs. after being stalled for months . If you have any favorite "tricks" please share!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Penny, great idea for a thread... thank you!

I've been gone all weekend, and I'm just rushing out the door to psychotherapy, but I'll be back later today. Hopefully with some coping skills to add to your list.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You know I've put big signs in my kitchen, I mean all over the place and after a while they just blend in with the cabinets..... Trial & Error LOL.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:30 PM   #4  
Brit Chick

Talking

Hi Ellis & Leenie,

Thanks for your input - hope you have a good week!
Old 09-20-2005, 06:59 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Penny, I was just thinking about you and your elastic. I had a really good weekend, and lost two pounds. Then yesterday, I ate a large bag of Doritos, and gained it all back. I could have REALLY used that elastic when I was buying the chips... I'm going to wear one today, and practice!

Other ideas...?
I remember reading this in a magazine years ago...
An overweight woman only wore tight-fitting, bad-looking clothes when she was home. It stopped her from overeating at home, because everytime she got a glimpse of herself in the mirror, she almost had a seizure at the sight of the grotesque woman she'd become.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #6  
Brit Chick

Smile

Hi Ellis,

I hope the rubber band works for you! I've been "forgetting" to put it on and have been backsliding a bit. Thanks for reminding me.

I like the idea of wearing unflattering clothes at home - that shouldn't be too hard to do!

Another idea I just had is to take a few seconds to stand undressed in front of a full length mirror each morning and REALLY look at myself front and side views This will be a reminder that I'm not 'there' yet and need to keep my eating under control. The trouble with me is that I lose a couple of pounds and declare victory - then I'm telling myself I can eat a "few" more calories and still keep losing!

Have a good day