3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   September Exercise Challenge!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/64571-september-exercise-challenge.html)

melra 09-09-2005 11:11 AM

Hey Ellis! I was wondering about you--but obviously you've been on top of it! How many miles or minutes do you suppose you'll rack up this month?

thanks for the link to your sister's work, Melissa! I always get so stressed leading up to it, but the during the actual show, I'm fine. I'm not much of a salesperson though, I always feel like I'm being cheesy.
Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a 5k or another art show scheduled for the same day. There's no way I can do them both. The 5k would give me a real sense of accomplishment, but the show would make some money--not much b/c it's a small one, but like $300-$400 in sales. The show would actually be more physically exhausting than the run--standing all day outside...I don't know. I'll see how I do this weekend and let that determine it.

I didn't get any exercise in yesterday--I was working until after 1am. I'm going to get in a quick cardio tonight but I think I'll have to skip the weights again just so I can get some more stuff done. Luckily though I've been too busy to really dwell on food cravings either.

sherpamelissa 09-09-2005 01:16 PM

So what type of art do you do, Mel?

I would do the art show. There are tons of 5Ks, not so many opportunities to make money.

I ran my 4 miles today, it took me 56 minutes ~ so 14 minute miles. I am not really worried about my pace. I have to do 18 minute miles to complete the half marathon in the 4 hours given. But half way through a young, skinny, gorgeous blonde got on the treadmill next to me and was running at a 6.7 pace! I was doing 4.4! So, I felt short, fat and slow. :(

Then I did my upper body stength training and ran out of time for the lower body. I don't think I can stop and do it on the way home. Hubby is already asking me how soon I'll be home.

Have a great weekend! I will be doing no exercise. :p

melra 09-09-2005 02:21 PM

My husband and i both do photography and then I also do jewelry--lots of twisty funky stuff. I think I might have priced myself out of the market, though with my new designs. I know I couldn't afford the stuff I'm making! Maybe I'll post a pic if I can figure it out! Both my husband and I are getting more complex in the stuff that we're doing, so this year is kind of crap shoot as to how much money we'll make. We eventually hope to have our own studio, but right now we don't want to commit to the loan.

Great job on the running! Too bad we can sprout a couple of inches on our legs--then those leggy skinnies will have a run for their money!

My god, I can even imagine running for 4 hours...I hoping to make it to 30min straight before the end of this month. I think I can do it.

At what point does the "runner's high" kick in? I always remembered that first mile being the hardest--like a mental thing I guess.

melra 09-12-2005 11:22 AM

I had a 20 min run on Fri and I used a higher setting than usual--took another 20 min for my hr to go down! I felt good about it -- I was really testing myself on the speed. I get to the point where I want to stop and then I push up the speed for a 1-2 min interval. Then when I drop the speed down to what it was, it's that much easier! It worked for 20min, don't know if I could realistically keep that up for an hour! It's a total mind-thing and it amazes me how much of the workout is affected by mental stuff. Crazy.

I had a gallery owner stop by my booth yesterday and was interested in handling my jewelry and our photography. Sales were very disappointing-I did price myself out. All day standing and then lugging display things around. That's the most exercise I got.

Today I'm doing 20 min cardio and then weights. Must focus on abs!

sherpamelissa 09-12-2005 01:12 PM

Good for you pushing yourself Mel! Whenever I am having a small stall with my weight loss I can normally tell I have become more complacent with my workouts. You are right - so much of it is mental! :crazy:

Too bad your sales weren't good. But the gallery owner being interested is a good thing. Even if she doesn't end up picking you up I would take it as a real compliment that she was interested.

The only exercise I got this weekend was hours walking around the Six Flags amusement park.

I had to come to work early this morning so I just did my 30 minute run. I am getting off early to hit the gym for my strength training. I *never* do abs. I just can't seem to fit them into my routine. I have a 12 minute tape that I always tell myself I should do as soon as I get home from work - but I am always so rushed it never happens.

melra 09-13-2005 10:41 AM

Best run so far last night! I did 2.5mi in 26 min. I was a sweaty mess. I only did 25min strength training. The only workout clothes I had were these light green yoga pants and I was sweating so much, I looked like I was incontinent! So I got a embarrassed and went home--too many people in that gym. My husband was like "so?". lol. Yeah, I guess it was stupid, but I haven't had an episode of gym insecurity since I started back on my goal. I'm going to make sure I have dark sweat-appropriate clothing next time--which is tonight! I can't decide if I want to get in a long cardio or finish weights--I only have about 45min to work out.

sherpamelissa 09-13-2005 01:23 PM

Sounds like a great run Mel. I always prefer cardio to the strength training. It just feels more productive. I have to make myself do the strength training. I really can tell a huge difference when I am consistent with it. I lost 5% body fat in 5 months - so I know it is working!

I did 30 minutes on the Cybex 800 Stepper. What was most impressive is that I did it all without hanging on the the supports. I read in some fitness mag or something that people rely too much on holding on and don't get a true workout. My heart rate was in the 80%-90% range and I kicked butt. I also did my upper body strength training. Yay!

melra 09-13-2005 02:49 PM

wow, Melissa-that does sound like a great workout! I tend to favor cardio too--I guess it's all that sweating that makes me feel like I'm really accomplishing something. But at the same time, I really want to have a more sculpted appearance by the time I get to my goal weight. I don't want to wait til I'm thin before I get muscles! I think I probably need to examine my goals for weight training so I can set some challenges for myself and keep track of my progress. Competing with myself has been fun on my cardio!

sherpamelissa 09-14-2005 12:42 PM

So, what did you choose? Weights or cardio?

I was all proud of myself yesterday for upping my weights by about 5lbs on each machine I do for upper body. Later in the day my back started really aching in the lower back region. I am sure I was not being careful enough about keeping my back straight and having proper form. I slept with a Thermacare heating pad on my back and felt better this morning. I skipped the gym to be safe, but should have had a 25 minute run.

I am so disappointed in myself. I had great plans for this week. I will take a muscle relaxer tonight before bed and hopefully it will sort itself out. I cannot afford to be injured right now. :(

melra 09-14-2005 01:14 PM

Melissa that's awful about your back. I hope it's nothing serious and feels better soon. Don't be disappointed in yourself though! You got injured b/c you were trying to push yourself, not b/c you stopped working out. If your back feels better, you could always just switch your rest day from Thurs this week if you're worried about your training schedule. You're an exercise dynamo though--I'm sure your body will heal up quick!

I ended up with only 25 min to do anything by the time I actually got to the gym in my clothes and all. So I picked cardio and ran 20min then cooled down before rushing out to get my dd to dance class. But I felt like I was running pretty fast for most of it--I did some 2 min intervals at 6.0 and some at 5.5. I just kept changing my speed around at various times and making mental calculations to kind of keep my brain distracted from how much I wanted to stop. I never got in my weights though. I don't think I'll have time this week, honestly--just way too much going on with work way into late night. I feel guilty about it, but I have to. I will definitely get back on my program next week though. This is the longest I've gone with consistent exercise and I love it.

And--I don't mean to brag :s: but I lost another pound this week! Yay!

Nutbar 09-15-2005 04:12 AM

First time poster even though i've been reading them for a short while. I started working out in june and have been going aces and finally lost 10 pounds in that it stopped bouncing back up to my starting weight and remained off..but lately it's weird i've been having a really hard time getting back on track to working out..so here i am and inspiration has been felt. Sept will be a good month.
Today i did 25 min hard on the elliptical and 10 min on the treadmill with a 5 point incline. I usually do a full half hour on both machines, every other day with weight training in between those days and my 7th day i get a rest.
Spending the next 5 days at my bfs house out of town so i'll be doing weights with him and then some walking/running. Will be back to update that progress that will hopefully have stuck. Have to remember to keep coming back here for inspiration.

ellis 09-15-2005 06:44 AM

Welcome, Nutbar! :wave: It's great to have you join us!

You're all doing FABULOUSLY, dah'lings. :D

Melra, I'll tell you at the end of the month how many minutes I think I'm going to rack up.
:rofl:

Melissa, take care of that back, hon! :grouphug:

FishWoman 09-15-2005 01:43 PM

I am trying to get back into running rather than just doing the elliptical. I also *hate* strength training - for this month i am just not doing it. I have a four-month plan (caribbean cruise on Jan. 8th) and I will start doing weights again in October.

9/6 - 15 minutes on treadmill (@5.5 mph) and 30 minutes on elliptical
9/7 - 4 mile run outside (took about 45 minutes)
9/8 - took an hour long brisk walk (mostly uphill)
9/9 - 45 minutes on elliptical
9/10 - ran outside with my friend - probably 30 minutes total running, but I tripped and wiped out after about 20 minutes (major road rash) so we walked about 10 minutes and then jogged maybe another 10 minutes
9/11 - NOTHING - i felt like a mack truck hit me and i spent all day alternating ice and a heating pad on my right arm

9/12 - 30 minutes on elliptical
9/13 - 45 minutes of pilates
9/14 - 4 miles on treadmill in 43 minutes and 40 seconds (woo hoo!)
9/15 - NYC ballet workout (1 hour)
9/16 - 3 mile run outside - it was so humid in DC this morning i thught i was going to collapse! But i only had to stop and walk twice (about 1 1/2 blocks walking total.)

Great job everyone! Keep up the hard work!!

sherpamelissa 09-16-2005 12:17 PM

Welcome nutbar and fishwoman! It is nice to have some more company around here.

Awesome job on the loss Mel! :D My weight loss also picked back up this week. I am down 2lbs this week. I hope my lack of exercise won't hurt me too much.

So after taking Wed/Thurs off to give my body a rest I felt horrible and guilty. I went in this morning and did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike. I actually feel a little better today, so maybe getting off my butt has helped. I should have run 4 miles today. :^:

If it still hurts a lot on Monday I will get to the doctor. I don't want to mess up my 1/2 marathon training. Unfortunately, any time I am off my schedule I have to fight the urge to binge constantly. It's like knowing I am not exercising gives me an excuse to blame a weight gain on, so I feel like I can eat crap. :?: Not sure what that is all about.

Have an awesome weekend all! :flow1:

sherpamelissa 09-20-2005 10:15 AM

My back feels much better, but my shoulder is still giving me problems.

I did a 25 minute run yesterday and 30 minutes on the recumbent bike this morning. I am comtemplating a walk at lunch, but I also have to go to the office supply store so I may not fit it in. We'll see!