Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #1  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Default Nutrionist?

Hi everyone. Been lurking a bit. I am a binge eater and have been going to a therapist about it. She recently suggested I see a nutritionist that specializes in eating disorders. My initial reaction is to blow this off. I mean, seriously, I have read every book on dieting and I know what a healthful diet is. I am not fat because I don't know what I should be eating, I am fat because I eat stuff I shouldn't be eating in massive quantities. So my question is, has any of you ever seen a nutritionist to help with your ED and, if so, did you find it helpful?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #2  

Hi Xena! Good for you for getting help with your eating disorder. I think everyone should see a nutritionist at some point in their life. I took a nutrition class at a local hospital and really learned a lot. I would love to see a nutritionist on a regular basis.

I think if you go you will be very surprised at how helpful it would be. Also, being accountable to someone besides yourself for eating can help keep you on track too. I would try at least one visit, if you hate it then you can quit.

Good luck!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Xena, I've never been to a nutritionalist, but I would LOVE to! Like you, I KNOW all that I need to know about healthy eating, but I know I'd have greater success if someone would actually tell me what to do. As Melissa said, sometimes being accountable to another person (particularly a "figure of authority") can be really helpful.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #4  
Getting healthy

Hi! I just started about 3 weeks ago with a nutritionist.. the first few weeks I fluxuated up a bit, but we plan meals and I write everything down that I eat and show her each week. It keeps me accountable and I know if I binge I won't be happy when I step on the scale at her office. Finally I am starting to go down, 2 pounds this week and one this week so far. I'm really happy with how it is going. It is definately important to find a good one. We make goals and I have to pick one good thing to do for myself each week. I have about 7-8 ideas for each meal and I switch them off throughout the week. It helps me alot to have a structured eating plan with real food and balenced meals with high protein, starch, and fruit and veggies. You should give it a shot.... whats the worst that could happen? good luck!
BostonMox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:03 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Some times we think we know it all b/c we live it (I'm one of them as well). I think you'll learn some things and maybe she / he can open your eyes. I say go for it. I'd love to see one on a regular basis too.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #6  

Default Nutristionist?

I do not think using a nutritionist is a bad thing. When I started losing weight a few years ago I visited with a nutritionist. She provided me with a lot of information and helped me to set realistic limits on calories and fat intake. Although the limits she set had the weight coming off slowly, it was more liberal in amounts than I would have been on myself. I also found that it was easier to stick with because I could indulge or eat a little more than if I had set the limits myself.
The only recommendation that I would make would be to find a nutritionist that you feel comfortable with and is willing to see you more than once. The nutritionist I saw only visited with me one time and never made me an appointment to come back. I felt that I was doing okay on my own, and never scheduled another appointment. I think if I would have seen her more than one time, I may have stuck with the diet before because she could have given me more insight to changes I could have made.
jld528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I don't usually post here but it's raining and well ... you know how compelling the internet can be

I'm with Leenie on this ... we can never know enough about nutrition, activity, our bodies....

I went to a dietician once and had a real eye opener about serving sizes. I'm sure I learned more things but that's the biggy that has stuck with me since then.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 130/103/107

Height: 5'3"

It's better to go to a dietician. A dietician is required to go to school for x amount of years.

I wanted to be a nutritionist and found out that anyone can be one. You don't even have to go to school, you can get your education through an online course. Dietician has a better course education.
LittlePaperStars is offline   Reply With Quote