Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:07 AM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy How to head off a binge?

Hello all,

Embarassing confession but I have in the past binged and then thrown up... when lonely, depressed, stressed, you name it. I got to the point where I did it up to 5 times a week, and this really worried me! Eating a large pizza and 10 cheesesticks and drinking up to a quart of wine is no way to take care of my body.

I think I have a handle on it now, but my last binge was Monday the 12th. I rejoined WW on the 14th, and have been making myself eat normally since that day. I am going to meetings with my uncle's housemate, and I think this will help me keep on program - thank God!

I would love to hear anyone's tips on how they avoid a binge when under stress. What keeps you eating healthfully?

Thank you very much for your wisdom!
Old 01-18-2004, 10:16 AM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Sarah -

First off, big hugs! I'm glad you came here to post!

There are so many things that come into play when you're battling bulimia. Like any eating disorder, bulimia is about a false sense of control; you might not be able to get rid of what's going on around you, but by damn you can get rid of the food. Obviously, this isn't control. Your disease is controlling you - you aren't controlling it.

Sit down and identify what exactly makes you binge. Think back to the bulimic episodes you've had lately and try and remember what was going on in your life at the time. Once you identify them, try to avoid those situations. If you can't, do something non-food related. Take a walk. Call a friend. Take a shower until the hot water runs out.

While WW is a wonderful program, it can exacerbate an eating disorder. Please be careful. If the bulimia starts giving you orders again, I urge you to get help elsewhere, perhaps from a therapist or an OA meeting. (The OA website can tell you where to find a meeting: http://www.oa.org .)

Come back and see us. We want to know how you are!

Jennelle
Old 01-18-2004, 01:28 PM   #3  
Searching

Default Ditto

Welcome Sarah!

I firmly agree with everything Jenelle said. Avoiding a binge under stress? I have to acknowledge first that I am having stress, that I am having emotions. That these things are okay, and hiding my head in the fridge will not make it better.

With my ED the hardest thing I am learning is I have never ate for hunger,or because it "tasted good" instead its feelings I have been busy shutting off this whole time. Especially the feeling that I wasn't good enough, doing enough, or achieving paralyzing perfectionism.

Feel free to join us in our daily thread. There is always room for one more!

Miss Chris
Closed Thread