Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 07:19 PM   #1  

Unhappy compulsive eating

Hi,
Well Im new to the forum and I feel that I can share my personal road blocks. Im a COE and have been for alot of years. I find myself thinking about food ALL DAY long I have tried to overcome this but cannot seem to get a grasp on it.

I collect recipes, cookbooks, newspaper clippings and watch the food network literally every moment I can. Everytime I go to friends houses, I ask to see the recipe sections of newspapers, cookbooks etc. I know there is no harm in looking at these things, but food has been ruining my life. Im 285 and have been trying to lose weight forever. It is really very hard to lose weight when food is on your mind every waking hour. I literally will get done with breakfast, go to work and keep looking at the clock to see if it time to eat my snacks. I dont even have to be hungry, if its snack time or lunch time, its time to eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions for losing this bad habit. It seems like I can find time to eat but I cant find time to exercise.

Terri
Old 09-09-2003, 07:55 PM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Hi Terri....

Ya know, I find myself thinking of food all the time too. I am also a compulsive overeater and I binge eat. Have you tried Overeaters Annonymous? I lost about 25 pounds on it.....but it was a very strict diet of no sugar and no flour. But....and this is what I really learned from OA....is that this is a disease. And if you commit your food to a daily sponser...you can not "THINK" about food again for that day. For example, "Awwww, I am not in the mood for chicken tonight" Why should we put an emotion (in the mood) with a food. Besides we already commited it. Well...good luck.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:07 PM   #3  

Default Food obsessed

Terri: Wow. Your description of your food-focused life sounds just like me. I think the key to this is figuring out what role food plays in our lives and the purposes it serves. I believe Dr. Phil's right in saying we do this for a reason, albeit a screwed up reason(s) perhaps, but I believe we hang onto weight and bad habits because they help us somehow.

What purposes does your food obsession or your weight serve for you? You said you can find time to eat, but not to exercise. The time is there either way; you just choose to spend it eating. Why? (Because it's easier, it tastes better, it's more fun . . . If I'm fat, I can . . . If I'm fat, I don't have to. . .)

I've been thinking the past few days about why I stay mired in disordered eating, food and weight obsession, and some of the reasons I do are pretty painful. Nothing like sexual abuse or anything, but some self-esteem, fear, emotional-repression issues that are pretty compelling.

Dr. Phil also made a point the other day that people who binge usually do so in a very narrow window of time. For some people, it's the minute they walk in the door right after work. For others, it's a few hours late at night. Do you have a certain period of time that's your "danger zone?" And what could you do to fill up that time instead of eat? Or where could you be that would be incompatible with binge-ing?

Last edited by ShihtzuX2; 09-18-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:07 AM   #4  

i have the same problem - i'm always thinking about food even when i just ate. i already am thinking about what to have for my next meal . i always know in advance what i will eat. i don't like the preoccupation. i feel that it distracts me from important things.

my friend suggested a book called "there's more to life than this" by jeanette wright that talks about behaviors that take away our energy, this fascination with food planning is really common and is also in the book. i just ordered it, hopefully it will help me. it's on amazon.com - there are a lot of positive reviews about the book on amazon if u are curious.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:35 PM   #5  

Unhappy Same with me

I am in a bit of a different situation; I don't LOOK overweight, yet I am about 10 pounds from my goal weight. (People just don't see my bare tummy or big hips LOL)...
AND I am absolutely obsessed with food. I also collect cookbooks, read recipes, salivate over pictures of food, and I binge daily.

No particular times--right now I am posting rather than give in to the urge to order a large pizza and eat the whole thing (like I did 2 nights ago). I had gotten down to 139, but the bingeing is steadily bringing me back up in the low 140s. I started at 163, and I AINT going back there. Literally biting my nails to the quick to keep from getting in the car (nothing to binge on in the house) to just "innocently" run to the store (I know what will happen, and it ain't pretty)...I find my mind playing all kinds of tricks (hmmm, I'm out of laundry detergent, better run and get some, hmmm, does the milk smell funny? Better dump it and get some more for the morning.. and last but not least, my personal favorite--hmmm, I should run to the store and get some more Baked Tostitos!) WRONG! I know what will happen...I should have an armed guard with me when I go to the store.

And alcohol! lately I have taken to getting boxed wine(keeps longer and fresher) to just have a "tiny" glass before bed. It has turned out to be a giant tumblerfull after dinner, which leads to weakened resolve, more bingeing, etc. So can't keep alcohol in the house.

Just trying to do one day at a time. If I can only meet my goals for today, I will be happy. But I find my mind wandering....and I want to go to the store.....
Old 10-29-2003, 06:46 PM   #6  

This is my first post on this forum.

I am a compulsive eater as well. I'm coming to terms with it slowly. I have a binge-purge mentality... someday's are better than others.

Last night I had to work late and I got into the candy jar since no one was around. I had about 8 reese's cups, 15 dove mini chocolates, 3 mini almond joys, etc.... etc..... I just couldn't stop. I don't know what gets into my head or why I do it. I ate a good dinner and was doing just fine until I got there. Then as soon as I saw chocolate I got hungry... even though I probably was not hungry. I don't know... *sigh*

I did weigh 180 lbs. I weigh 163 right now - very athletic build so it doesn't show. I don't look big at all (so I'm told), but a lot of it is because every time I go on one of these binge kicks I purge it. Like last night.

It's nice to see this forum... I hope I can find support while giving it.

Gina
Old 10-30-2003, 12:43 PM   #7  

I hav been trying so hard lately to get over FOOD..and prepare my mind mentally to get the weight OFF...I feel I have several reasons why I overeat. I am try to push the pain and anger deep down with food, I know it will take courage to live a life without the fat suit on, more would be expected of me?...BUT..yesterday I spent the day baking..something I have not done in quite a while. I baked a pumkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting and also a batch of blueberry muffins. So why am I telling you about this delicious food?...BECAUSE..when I sat down to actually eat..I felt like a part of me LOVED the taste of the food a little to much. I honestly don't feel it is so common to love the taste of food this much?..To have issues that food seems to help you self-medicate against is one thing...BUT what do you do when you have such a strong love affair with the taste? and the smells..my house still smells so good this morning?..SAD...so SAD?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:57 PM   #8  
Searching

Hi I am Chris and I am a compulsive eater.

As someone new to the OA program I can just relate my experience. I have had these thoughts and behaviors, on a diet, on a binge, off a diet. I still do. But now I am ready to break free from trying to control the food. I surrender. That doesn't mean I give up or I don't have a food plan (unlike what was stated before OA does not endorse any paticular plan, that is a personal choice between you and your sponsor. I do have problems with refined sugar products and flour-bread products will make me binge and physically ill).

What I do know is I have found a fellowship of people that understand. And sometimes instead of reporting our weight or talking about what were eating thats whats really important.

I will recommend a book (not an OA authorized read) The First Bite by Kay Shephard. This is a guide to complete recovery from food addiction.

(((((Hugs)))))))
Chris
Old 10-31-2003, 02:14 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Everyone,

Well you can add me to the list, ditto's on all of the above.

But I can't help but sit here and say to myself, yes I am a compulsive eater but I love to cook, I love recipes and I love to eat. I do, I so enjoy food, every piece I put in my mouth, I love. If I could I would go to school to be come a professional cook. So what gives with me.

Am I only fooling myself that it makes me happy, I really don't know. Food creates such a warm good feeling to me.

Whats the difference in loving to (for example) sew or read or dance and loving to cook and eat? (other than health issues).

What about people who exercise so much because they love the feeling they get from it ?

How do I separate my problem (and is it ?) from there's and is it really a problem ?

Something to think about huh !

Does any one here feel like me ? do you love to cook and eat, do you get excited when you try new recipes, etc ?

Wonder what Dr. Phil would say to that ?

Hugs, Leens
Old 11-01-2003, 04:18 PM   #10  
Searching

You know Leens I think you can enjoy that stuff as long as your not sabotaging yourself into more compulsive eating. Are you only trying new cookie and pie recipes? I have been cooking all this week (new for me) and I never knew you seared garlic. I love the smell and flavor. I just think we have to learn to love ourselves more than we love the food. Just my 2 cents.

Chris
Old 11-03-2003, 01:34 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Exactly Chris, thats why I would consider myself as a compulsive eater. I can not stop at just enjoyment.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #12  
Searching

Try Kay's book honey, it will help.

Chris
Closed Thread