Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #1  
Trying Slim Fast

S/C/G: 252/235/150

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up Slim Fast(ing) because of a friend

I'm terrible with introductions, so I'm just going to say it how it is.

A few weeks ago my friend (a heavy-set girl like me) informed me that she would be getting surgery on her stomach to help her lose weight and while it isn't at all an uncommon procedure, it is her first time ever in any type of surgery and is absolutely terrified. She has to do it, however. Her health is declining and doctors are telling her that she needs to start losing weight before things start getting bad. She's tried almost everything out there - diets and exercise of the like, but nothing seems to work so the date of the surgery has been set.

She lives in Australia, and while I'm here in the United States, I am unable to be there physically with her while she gets this surgery which absolutely tears me apart, but I came up with another idea.

My friend started to tell me about this diet plan that she is going to be put on three weeks before the surgery to help prepare her body for what is to come. It's a fantastic weight-loss program called Optifast and, unfortunately for me, is only available in New Zealand and Australia. I say unfortunate for me because while she's telling me about this program, voicing her concerns about being able to stick to the diet, I told her, without hesitation, that I would do it with her so that when she needs someone to talk to about her daily struggles, it can be a close friend who knows exactly what she is going through, while she's going through it.

It was after I told her I would be doing this with her that I discovered Optifast was only available to those two regions, and while sad, I immediately began to look for a replacement "American" diet that would essentially be the same thing so I can do this with her. As a friend, I'm a woman of my word.

This was when I became more in tune to the program Slim Fast. You hear about it almost all the time when someone mentions weight loss and to me, it seems to be the brunt of all 'fat people' jokes but as I looked into it more, I really began to respect it. I watched people's success stories on youtube, physically seeing the results and listening to their daily struggles. I've seen the before and after photos and more importantly, I've seen photos of myself.

So if the fact that I'm doing this for a friend to show my support for this surgery wasn't enough, my own self image came into play when I sat down and just... looked at me. I am currently 252 pounds carrying HEAVILY in my breasts and the rest in my stomach, hips and thighs. I don't exactly have measurements, and my bra, pants and underwear sizes aren't exactly accurate either since I haven't done much shopping lately, but if I were to take my best guess, this is what I got.

Weight: 252 pounds
Bra size: 46 E
Pant size: 20

Looking at this just makes me sick and I have to wonder how I even let myself get this way? I have problems just like everyone else and I'd like to make excuses that my Long QT (irregular heartbeat), depression, anxiety and sleeping problems are the main cause, but when it comes down to it I know inside that it's a matter of my self control. Simply put, I have none. I myself have tried a majority of different things - most notable the extreme body-changing workout routine called P90X and while I did it for 30 full days and was getting fantastic results, I ended up quitting. I even gained back what I lost and then some.

Another incentive, I suppose, that is going to help drive me to stay on task this time around, aside from my word to my friend that I would do this, aside from my total loathe of self-image, I am also a recently-divorced, 23 year-old single female and no matter what anyone says to make us bigger girls feel better, it's a lot easier to find someone when you not only look good, but feel good as well.

So hopefully, this time, my positives for doing this outweigh the negatives. Hopefully I can stay on task and get that slim, toned body I've always wanted to have. I want to become a famous actress someday, and though there are SOME exceptions to a big, beautiful woman on screen, my chances are much better slimmer.

What started out as a courteous act to be there for a friend in need is slowly turning into something I've realized I've wanted to do for myself, but haven't found the right reasons for doing it until now. So here is to me starting over and working for the things I want.

I started today.

For breakfast, I chose to have one of the meal bars instead of the shake. I'm not really sure why, I think because the meal bar was a lot 'quicker' to get access to than having to put forth the effort in mixing up a shake (I bought the powder) lol.

For the snack, I did one of the 100 - calorie bars. Peanut Butter Crunch Time. I was a bit disappointed because it reminded me of a Butterfinger, and that is one candy bar I've never particularly liked.

For lunch, I did the vanilla shake and though I'm not a huge fan of vanilla flavor, I was deeply enjoying myself because it tasted and even kind of had the texture of cake batter, so I was a happy duck.

For Dinner, I ended up making one of the 500 - calorie salads posted on the Slim Fast website. Chicken, oranges, peas with a roll... yeah it was pretty good.

I find myself going through hunger pains after dinner, before going to bed. So I'm doing things to keep myself busy like writing this blog up and I already know I can finish the day.

So to review, the current meal plan I have set is thus:

Breakfast - Meal bar or shake
Snack - snack bar or fruits, veggies or nuts
Lunch - Meal bar or shake
Dinner - 500 calorie dinner

I am well aware that I can have up to 3 snacks a day, but in my research I found a particular girl who started out, same as me, and found that this was the best way she could keep and maintain results even after a year of being on the program.

Anyway, that is all for now. I'm really not sure how much I'll be updating. I know I'm only going to be weighing once a week since the body weight fluctuates between a few pounds daily and I don't want to get over-excited or over disappointed. So we shall see. I'm expecting tomorrow to be a bit harder. Today I didn't have to work, but tomorrow I will be, and I work at a pizza joint with SOOOO many good smells and foods available to me for free.

Wish me luck!
YoshiSkittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/192/140

Good luck Yoshi! I know you can do this for yourself and be successful. You are a good friend to support your Australian friend.

I did Medifast years ago, lost 40 pounds in 4 months and kept most of it off.
Similar to Optifast.
thinin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:46 AM   #3  
Trying Slim Fast

Well, day 2 is now complete and I did it. For the most part, it wasn't all that hard. Going to work I wasn't really tempted by any of the food. None of it really looked or sounded good but I was also having hunger pains and knew I wanted to eat something. The day dragged on forever, the only thing on my mind was my snack and lunch which made for a long day. Perhaps the hardest part for me today though is that usually after I end my shift and we are closed to the public, I spend a few hours with my coworkers at the bar and have a few free drinks. I went to the bar tonight, and got to watch everyone drink lol. Boy was I excited to come home and eat my 500 calorie salad/roll meal. But this is progress!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #4  
Trying Slim Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinin08 View Post
Good luck Yoshi! I know you can do this for yourself and be successful. You are a good friend to support your Australian friend.

I did Medifast years ago, lost 40 pounds in 4 months and kept most of it off.
Similar to Optifast.
Thank you very much! Words of encouragement are ALWAYS welcomed! I heard about Medifast too in my research but didn't get too much into it. Is it available in the USA? (I feel weird having to ask that question but now that I know about Optifast... lol)
Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome YoshiSkittlez (love the name!).

You'll never regret focusing on your health for yourself, and having a friend who is doing the same thing means you'll be able to commiserate about the tough moments and celebrate all the little and big victories as well!

In the meantime, make an effort to dump the self-loathing and embrace all the wonderful things that you are. Physical weight is so transient and it doesn't define us as people. Our weight goes up, it comes down, it hovers in the same place -- whatever -- all the while we are still the same nice people who are deserving of love and respect!

I wish you (and your friend) all the best, you can do this!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Yoshi,

Wishing you and your friend the best of everything on your weight loss journey.

I'd like to throw out a few observations for your consideration. I am not a medical professional and these observations are from my personal conversations and experiences.

I was on Optifast back in the 1970's. Then I did Medifast in the '80's through a doctor and now Medifast is available online without going through a doctor. I was successful on both but unfortunately I returned to my unhealthy eating habits and am back to the weight I started out at.

My concern about Slim Fast stems from a conversation I had with my podiatrist some years ago. His MIL was on the Slim Fast program and developed liver problems. He was concerned that the lack of sufficient protein in Slim Fast may have contributed to her problems.

I have never had problems with Medifast or Wonderslim (a less expensive, better tasting version of Medifast) as far as protein content.

Just wanted to mention this to you in case you wanted to compare nutritional info between Slim Fast and Medifast/Wonderslim. All nutritional info for all these products are online at each products' website.

Good luck.

Last edited by buckeyegal; 08-10-2015 at 12:03 PM.
buckeyegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Optifast is in the US!

Optifast.com
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:16 AM   #8  
Trying Slim Fast

Alright so it's been a bit since I've checked in (I told you I'm terrible at these things!) but here's a quick rundown. Days 2 and 3 were the hardest by far. I was constantly hungry and eying the food that we make at work and even after work while my coworker friends had a beer, I even asked a few of them if I could just smell it. No worries, I was good. Actually, to this day I still haven't cheated at all. No little nibbles of something here or giving in there thinking I'll work it off (my boss bought us all DQ the other night and then they suddenly felt bad cuz they remembered I'm doing this lol).

Since then, however, things have been going really, really well. I think my stomach is finally getting used to the daily intake of food because my hunger pains aren't nearly as bad and most of the time now I don't even think about food, even working at the pizzeria and brew house all day.

On day 7 I weighed myself and saw that I had lost 3 pounds which made me very happy. When I told one of my coworkers she said "That's it?" and I had to explain to her that 3 pounds in one week is actually a healthy amount, anything more will eventually make your body freak out (the way I understand it anyway).

When I first started this to do with my friend, I wasn't sure how long I would be doing it, but seeing as I've planned a trip to go and see her in Australia for new years. Already, she and her parents have told me there is no way I'm going to be doing the diet there because they have all this food they want me to try, so I may just do this for a few more months until my vacation at the end of December, do my vacation, and see how I feel after that.

To everyone who has posted, I thank you. It's great to have all this support and opinions and I value each and every one. I'll try to get better about posting, but we shall see
Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #9  
Trying Slim Fast

Two weeks in and would you believe it? I'm down 10 pounds! I'm not even joking! I even got off the scale, got back on, checked it again, and repeated the process about three times before I could start to believe what I was seeing. I'm also going at this with an open mind that my body is 'detoxing' and probably getting rid of a lot of back-up waste, but still, I'm starting to look (and feel) better about myself. My stomach feels smaller, my chest above my breasts tighter and my double chin is pretty much gone. Even my co-workers have pointed out the differences in me physically, and I'm really feeling great about all of this. It's rather exciting even though I know that once my body adjusts, it will be back to probably 1-3 pounds a week, but still, it's more results than I have gotten in a very, very long time. And it feels incredibly easy aside from the food envy cravings I get when I watch someone eating a hamburger or a pizza lol. So far, so good!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #10  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations!!!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #11  

Congrats, that's so wonderful

I still get those food envy cravings but it has gotten a little easier. I just remind myself that I am on this journey for myself and it's just not worth it!

Good luck and keep it up, you are doing great
Raining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #12  
Trying Slim Fast

Alright so I meant to post this up a few days ago, but as of the first of this month (September) I have been doing this diet at 100% for 4 weeks! AND! I have lost a total of 16 pounds! At first, for a 'months' worth of weight loss, it doesn't really sound like all that much, but then I put it in perspective for myself. When I go bowling (on the rare occasion), the ball I usually use is about 10 or 11 pounds... so in my case... I've lost an entire bowling ball of weight off of my body in one month. That to me is completely astounding! At first I was just beginning to notice that my face was thinner and my chest above my breasts tighter, however now I'm noticing less flab on my gut and the other day, just randomly, I noticed that the butt part of my pants were hanging on me really weird and at first I thought I had ripped them because of how baggy they were. So it seems that I'm just losing this weight all over the place instead of in one general area, which I suppose is okay, but I'm still not able to get into that one size down pair of pants I own yet. Hopefully just a few more weeks!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Yoshi- You are doing great! Keep up the good work! What a wonderful way to support your friend!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #14  
Trying Slim Fast

A little disappointed yesterday for my weekly weigh-in, I only lost one pound this last week and no, I haven't cheated at all. I hope my body isn't already hitting that 'plateau' point... .-.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #15  

Height: 5'9"

Chin up. It was probably just a water retain day. I've found the more water I drink on a daily basis the more I avoid that.

Give it like five days and you'll probably see a whoosh. I have the aria scale and it tracks my weight and outputs a graph. The data points are all over the place, up and down. But, the trend is always downward!
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote