Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #1  

Default IE - Anxiety, need help please!

Okay, fellow Intuitive Eaters...

I am having trouble just getting to my "step 1"! I was so successful previously with Intuitive Eating (which I would actually prefer to call Hunger-directed eating...), and then I got sick, winter came, and all **** broke loose. I stopped walking (which was my newfound stress reliever), and somehow couldn't cope without food. I subsequently gained a few pounds back. This might have been fine, but... At that point, a friend of mine was dropping mad weight using a very restrictive diet. I started getting really confused about intuitive eating and focused primarily on not worrying about weight, body image, etc. But, body image was still bothering me as my friend successfully kept losing pound after pound. This was a trigger for me, for some unknown reason.

Ultimately, I'm not after losing weight quickly. I'm after changing how I feel and possibly losing some weight PERMANENTLY. I know Intuitive Eating is the way.

The problem is that now, I'm afraid because I "failed." It's the same mentality as failing a diet, I suppose. How to get over this and start allowing myself to get hungry?????? I'm having so much anxiety over getting hungry... the idea that less calories means lowered metabolism is one of the big factors, plus the idea that I'll lose weight and then gain it back anyway.... I don't want to keep running around this hamster wheel.

Last edited by Mazzy; 07-30-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #2  

Okay, so after posting this, I went for a walk and remembered why walking was such a stress reliever for me. It's got something to do with the metronome-like cadence of every step that seems to reduce my stress. I decided to use a kind of mantra when I started to feel tension, and it seems to help. I was able to hold off eating until I was really hungry, and when I did eat finally, I remembered how it was so easy to stick to IE before....eating when you're truly hungry has a self-reinforcing effect: not only does food taste incredibly orgasmic, but because it tastes so profoundly good, your brain is satisfied a lot quicker. I was able to stop eating HAPPILY something that I would have previously devoured and then some. Not only that, but because it tasted so good, I recognized that I have no desire to return to eating mindlessly. It really just isn't worth it...and I can say that from a heartfelt, absolutely honest place. It's natural!

The hard part for me is getting past the first time or couple of times that I allow myself to get hungry. I go through all kinds of anxiety about hunger...it's annoying head tension....I bargain with myself and go through a kind of denial...as if hunger is so awful when you have an abundance available to you.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I think what's happening here is that you are turning IE into the "hunger-fullness" diet. You run into some problems when you do this. First, it's a type of restriction and that can lead to rebellious eating which causes weight gain. Eating when you are hungry and stopping when you are full is somewhat the destination but definitely not the journey. I'm not even sure it is the destination to be honest. Sometimes eating is emotional and that's ok. I don't want to become a robot, normal eaters eat ft all kinds of reasons, not jut hunger. It's ok to overeat sometimes, the whole purpose of IE is to not feel conflicted about your eating. Hunger and fullness are cues we use to stay tuned to our needs but it shouldn't be mechanical. I don't know if this makes any sense.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #4  

Thanks, for the reply wannabe. Hopefully you can enlighten me further...

I've heard what you're saying many times before, I was on the intuitive eating website for a while, and this was what they said as well. I've also read all of the Geneen Roth books, Overcoming Overeating, Normal Eating for Normal Weight, etc. But the idea that you don't pay attention to your hunger signal is a bit mind-boggling to me.

So, what is it that you do differently from compulsive overeating on a regular basis (which is my "normal")? I remember you saying that you had to go through anxiety about hunger as well - so I'm wondering, was that necessary?

Last edited by Mazzy; 08-04-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I never said I don't pay attention to my hunger, what I meant was that trying to eat for mechanical reasons based only hunger cues can and will backfire. The reason for this is because it requires constant assessment and scrutiny. And scrutiny leads to judgement. And judgment leads to guilt. And guilt is the stepping stone to cycling back into binging.

Eating based on out hunger cues is a skill. It takes practice and can be developed over time. But we must be careful not to fall into the trap of over evaluating our eating habits. I always say, don't pat yourself on the back when you eat a salad because you it means you are judging yourself and pretty soon you'll have to judge yourself over the cookies too. When you are in the learning stages of gettin acquainted with hunger cues the most important thing not to do is judge. The IE book does a really good job of explaining the inner eating personalities we have. You continue to binge right? That tells me that perhaps your inner rebel is still running the show. The inner rebel is responsible for rebeling against all restrictions and assessment can easily turn into restriction.

There are some people here, many in fact that get triggered by the slightest bit of restriction. Learning to eat with IE is not really about only eatin when you're hungry but learning how to eat without having to think about it laboriously.

There is room in our life to eat for fun or because it tasted sooo good or because you had a bad day. Normal eaters reach for the Ben and Jerry's when theyre down too. The only difference is that they don't hate themselves afterwards.

Please remember that binging is fulfilling a purpose in your life and it serves that purpose well. It is an extremely effective way of helping you cope and your body will continue to do it until you find an effective way to cope with what's eating you. We can talk more of you like.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #6  

Yes, of course, I understand.

I have come to believe that it's about general emotional awareness rather than a focus on diet/weight/eating/hunger/fullness. Life does not revolve around that.