3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   No bingeing in July (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/261975-no-bingeing-july.html)

danzingurl77 07-22-2012 10:39 PM

Carryonlosing- thanks! I'm glad youre feeling better!

Jalsa- I agree that having a Plan makes a huge difference when going out to eat.

Ingles- glad to hear you're still doing well!

Mer du Japon- glad you've found us! Today is as good a day as any to get back on track!

I'm feeling good! But SORE ran my half yesterday and had some pizza that night, normally pizza= binge, but I stopped when I was satisfied and am feeling great!

raspberry13 07-23-2012 08:42 AM

Danzing - that's great! That is always a struggle for me. I think if I eat slowly it helps too. I had a friend from Germany visit, and he suggested we make pasta for dinner - a huge trigger food for me if I were alone, or a reason to binge later on because I think oh pasta=carbs=weight gain=might as well go overboard. I had a small portion of pasta, and lots of the homemade veggie sauce we made. It was great to stop at that amount.

I agree that eating out requires a game plan, or eating in general for me, otherwise there always seems to be the opportunity for screwing up. I'm feeling good. It's been 27 days now since a binge (where I purposely go out and buy or prepare the food I'm going to gorge myself on). Even if I have overindulged a little bit, I find myself talking myself out of binge mode, and getting back on my eating plan right away or the next day. In the past, if I binged one day, I almost ALWAYS binged the next day, and the next day because I just do miserable and felt that I couldn't survive without the sugar/carb rush. Learning and changing is coming in baby steps. I feel the destructive behaviour hopefully going further and further away. I can hope anyways. We've got this! Not too much time left in July, and then we will all be ready to conquer August!

CarryOnLosing 07-24-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inglesita64 (Post 4413336)
How did you do over the weekend? I went out for a veggie sandwich and ate ice cream, but did not go over my calories. How about the rest?

I exceeded my caloric intake Sunday by a bit and I grazed A LOT yesterday (which I realized was because I was trying to do a low carb dinner and that just activated my cravings - lesson learned; low carb may result in a binge) but o/ wise doing good. Didn't binge.

inglesita64 07-24-2012 10:30 PM

Great job, chicks! One more week to go and July is ours!

danzingurl77 07-24-2012 11:12 PM

We're getting there! :) I was going to wish everyone a happy holiday but it's only a holiday here in Utah today, which means we're the only state who had to face holiday food, but I didn't really run in to any major problems anyways ;-)

I was wondering- how much does your family or significant other know about your binges? My DH knows I sometimes have "freak-outs" as he calls them, but he has no idea how bad they really are. I don't think he's ever had a very good understanding of eating disorders, but I wonder if admitting to him the full extent of the problem would help him be able to help me?

zizania 07-25-2012 01:34 AM

Hi everyone! Joining in for the rest of July. I did these threads for a while about 1.5 years ago and I ended up with roughly a year of much less binging even after I left, but the binging has been bad again lately and I'm sick of it. Off to sleep now and day 1 starts in the morning :)

raspberry13 07-25-2012 10:30 AM

zizania - Welcome back. This thread has been super helpful for me, and I wish you the same. :)

Danzing - It's taken me a while to be able to talk to people about my bingeing problem/problems with food in general. I find myself embarrassed and ashamed about my behaviour so I end up saying nothing and keeping it inside.

Next week I have an eating disorder assessment at my University's eating disorder clinic. I'm tired of letting food rule my life and constantly thinking about it. I'm really worried/nervous about the appointment and am not really sure what to expect. I fluctuate a lot in my thoughts about whether or not I really need to go, but there are days when I know I really need to.

Thanks again for all the support everyone.

Jalsa 07-25-2012 05:00 PM

Raspberry I had my ED diagnosed and am very glad that I did, because it has helped me to understand that I need to approach my eating and weight loss strategies a little differently to others who do not have an ED - it has taken time , it's over a year since I was diagnosed and it is only now that I am getting to grips with a weight loss strategy that works for me and more importantly, what doesn't .

You will probably be given quite a few questionnaires to complete and they will talk to you - it really is nothing to be nervous of- good luck and let us know how you get along

It's great to see that everyone here is doing so well -great stuff!

JossFit 07-25-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danzingurl77 (Post 4410942)
Natasha and krampus- I TOTALLY agree! And am forever thankful that every binge I've ever had is not directly turned into extra fat, but I DO seem to use it as an excuse sometimes. So I guess I just can't win ;-)

Oh seriously! To Natasha; I think there are a lot of theories and even more variables, but I definitely agree.

I am really hoping/counting on that now that I am back from my vacation! :o

JossFit 07-25-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danzingurl77 (Post 4415744)
I was wondering- how much does your family or significant other know about your binges? My DH knows I sometimes have "freak-outs" as he calls them, but he has no idea how bad they really are. I don't think he's ever had a very good understanding of eating disorders, but I wonder if admitting to him the full extent of the problem would help him be able to help me?

I tried to explain it to my husband one time, but he didn't really understand. I think he thought I was saying I had bulimia or something and when I said "no, I just eat a lot sometimes..." he sort of dismissed it. He has seen me eat a ton and has told other people that I "Lose my ******* mind" but he thinks it's impressive the amount I can eat. So, yeah... he doesn't really understand what I mean.

Dreamer2012 07-25-2012 07:22 PM

Looking back and thinking about it, I would eat a lot of junk food and in a short amount of time. Sometimes I wouldn't even want it but because it was there, I just ate it because it was yummy! Now, I'm thinking the amount of times and days I would have days like that don't add up to what weight I could have been. The heaviest I have ever been would be around 152 - 154lbs and that was up until Feb this year when I was weighed at 142lbs. Just makes me think, I was kind of lucky that the amount of bingeing I would have done didn't create a big weight gain like it could have.

As for how much people know about my binges, they never knew. I guess it was embarrassing for me to admit how much junk food I would have eaten on some days. Days like when I'm on TOM or TOM is due, I wouldn't hide it though and just blame that on why I'd be comfort eating. :p

Almost over now :) Not long left! Well done to everyone so far.

danzingurl77 07-25-2012 11:49 PM

Raspberry- good luck! Please let us know how it goes! You are much braver than I am...

Jalsa- it's nice to hear about your successes! Keep moving in that healthy direction!

Jossfit- that's how I feel when I try to talk to him, he doesn't see why overeating every so often is a big deal, but he doesn't see HOW much I really do eat, or the emotions that go along with it... So I don't think if I really sat him down he could ever truly understand. He eats when he's hungry and stops when he's full... Why can't I do that too? :P

Dreamer- I get embarrassed too. And I feel the same way- in glad I grew up in an EXTREMELY active household... Or I couldve been in major trouble.

Today I was HUNGRY... But stopped at my maininance calories so I'm happy. Honestly I should just eat at maintenance every day, but Ive got to make up for those binges somewhere... Sigh... I hope everyone can finish July on a high note! :)

natashawashburn 07-26-2012 11:42 AM

In need of some serious help! I have my husband's family camping trip this Friday and Saturday and I don't know what to do... This family eats, and they eat BIG! I wanted to bring my own low calorie food, but his family is the type of family (russians) who will be extremely offended if I brought my own food and don't eat theirs when they offer it. (russian women!) Do I focus on portion control? Do I fake sick and say NO THANK YOU and run to my tent and eat food I brought? I know this will turn into a binge and I honestly just got off of a 3 day straight binge that I gained several actual pounds of fat from. :/ I don't know what to do.

inglesita64 07-26-2012 12:37 PM

Natasha, I would seize the chance to practice portion control. Take it as a mini-course! You couls say something like "I love this food and you are a great cook, so I do want to try everything! But I cannot overdo it because I am trying to lose some pounds." They won't be offended then if you turn down some dishes, as long as you try some others. I would not take my own food, unless you make something to share with the family, as your own contribution to the party. Good luck!

danzingurl77 07-26-2012 01:08 PM

Natasha- oh I can SO relate!! My in laws take us to lake Powell every year and they EAT. Usually I offer to make as many meals as they'll let me, and after that it's a big test of portion control for me... We go for 10 days and I've never made it the whole time without overeating at least once... But I usually come back without a loss or gain, so I'll take it. But portion control is probably your best bet!! Good good luck!