Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #1  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs down Nachos, Cheese Fries, & Beer + 2 days = 5 lb Weight Gain? Sodium Effect?

So ... I went on a weekend vacation with friends.

Try as I might, I ended up pigging out with the gang and dogged some nachos, a chicken/cheese quesadilla, half a plate of cheese fries, baked cheesy ziti, and four beers. Over a two-day period (Sat & Sun).

I stepped on the scale this morning and was NOT happy to see Saturday morning's weight of 268.0 jump to 273.0.

Now, I know I was BAD BAD BAD this weekend. I'm not even going to sugar-coat it.

But ... 5 lbs in two days?? REALLY??

I was fully expecting to see 1-3 lb gain. Not FIVE!

I was griping on the phone with a friend of mine and she suggested that most of the weight was probably due to sodium and to give it a few days to resolve. But I'm curious. Does sodium influence the scale to that high of an extent?

This is, historically, the time when I quit trying to lose weight. All today today, I've kept repeating to myself that I will not quit. Not this time.

Anyway --- Thoughts would be greatly appreciated regarding sodium, food splurging, etc. Hope everyone else had a better food weekend than I did!
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Great job on not quitting! That's so important and step #1. That's often times the difference between those who are successful with weightloss and keeping it off, and those who aren't. It's the consistency and getting right back on the wagon when you fall off. We've all been there and continue to go there every now and again. I had a little out-of-control evening myself last night but today I'm on the wagon again, brushing it off and moving forward. It's more likely less than 5lb gain because of the water retention, especially from the alcohol. Whether it's 1lb or 5lbs, get back on track and it will come off.

Last edited by christine123; 08-15-2011 at 07:16 PM.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #3  
Started IP 8/20/14

Thanks for the response! I am really hoping it's due to water retention, but I guess we'll see tomorrow morning ...

I really had no idea sodium could cause such a drastic change. Crazy!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

I bet you that it's almost all water retention! Those foods are very high in sodium! Plus, I'm sure you weren't putting much thought into drinking lots of water either haha? So less water intake than usual + alcohol + a mountain of salt and fat = a little bit of weight gain and some water retention.

I bet after like, 2 days of very clean eating you will be back on track! I recommend going really easy on the carbs and eat lots of fruit and veg! Get some roughage into you so you can clean yourself out, and drink lots of water!

You'll feel great again in no time!
celly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #5  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I once gained 9lbs in one night after I had fast food for lunch and dinner not long after I restarted my weight loss. I just had a 6lb gain on Sunday that I'm trying to work off. It happens. It's a little discouraging though.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #6  
Started IP 8/20/14

Thanks everyone for the great responses!!

Luckily, it was almost all water retention. As of today, I am back to 270, so only a two pound gain. I figured I'd allow a couple days to let my body recalibrate RE: sodium.

And no, I definitely was not drinking much water! If water was beer, I'd have been okay! LOL

The thing is ---- it IS very discouraging. Two "bad" days equaled two pounds. Wow. That blows my mind. To think that two months of effort can be so easily thwarted by one or two days of being "bad" ... and my friends just LOVE to eat out regularly. It's hard to balance everything!!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghGal View Post

The thing is ---- it IS very discouraging. Two "bad" days equaled two pounds. Wow. That blows my mind. To think that two months of effort can be so easily thwarted by one or two days of being "bad" ... and my friends just LOVE to eat out regularly. It's hard to balance everything!!
Scary isn't it? i am going to try to keep that in mind next time i wanna binge
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote