Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 07:27 PM   #1  
Domestic Goddess

Talking The Clean Plate Club....

I have devised a no frills plan for tomorrow at my MIL's house. She is having us over for dinner and making some of my very favorite things which will include homemade mac and cheese and lemon pie. My first thing I will do is eat...yep, I'm going to have a nice portion of everything...not portions that are falling off the sides of my plate but normal size portions and NO seconds. Very rarely do I eat second helping...remember that Im a closet eater. I'll even have a slice of the pie but here comes the good part..something out of the ordinary for me. I'm not going to eat every bite that I put on my plate..I'll leave one bite of everthing. I tried this at home the other night and it didn't work but tomorrow I will not be a member of the Clean Plate Club.

I figure if I do this plan that I will not be coming home and eating. This is something that I usually do because I deny myself the foods that I really want and eat "like a good girl" while out ....you know what does a good girl eat like. I'm human ....I require food for survival....but I dont need a large volume of food ...just one helping...no denial and NO GUILT!!!
Old 01-05-2003, 10:28 AM   #2  

...sounds like a great plan, it's definitely important to plan for outings, if not it's so easy to spin out of control.

You're right, enjoy everything that you want in portions. Something else I do is keep in the conversations( to focus on the gathering NOT the food) and when they start pushing seconds on you say no quickly and change the subject ( to avoid the ..are you sure? there's only one bite left? there are starving kids in...yadayadayada.

The other deal I make with myself if it's possible for you to keep "the guilts" away. If I feel very full and start to feel the panic creeping over me I tell myself that it's okay, I'm not going to eat all the time like this anymore and I WILL NOT eat until I hear my stomach growl at me for food. Then I'll know that my body has processed it all and hasn't stored it.

Hope these help, just remember to focus on family, conversation, laughing and make the food a lower priority. It's hard but it'll get easier in time. Have a great time:-)!

runnergirl
Old 01-05-2003, 10:34 AM   #3  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

I think You have an awesome plan for today. Drink plenty of water during your meal too and I will bet that after a few minutes after you eat you will feel yourself getting full when the food starts to settle. I have noticxed this alot since I have started. After about 10 minutes I think wow I am glad I didn't go get anymore because I am feeling full now. Good Luck today!! Also enjoy that mac and cheese for me too. I love homemade mac and cheese. I got a recipe in my fitness magazine for a low fat version that I intend to make for Valentines dinner for my husband
Old 01-06-2003, 10:09 AM   #4  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Chrissy, How did you make out yesterday? I was thinking of you all day.

Runnergirl, I liked your comment on when you do overeat to wait until you actually feel hungry before eating again. I have trouble with this but the next time I goof up I fully intend to remember that and try it. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #5  
Domestic Goddess

Just wanted to let everyone know that I think I did well on Sunday.

I didn't go overboard with the portions and I ate a nice portion of everything.

The pie was excellent as well as the mac and cheese. Leftovers were sent home with me....UGH!!! I made sure that the kids ate the mac and cheese and the rest of the pie. That's quiet an accomplishment for me...in the past I would have ate all of it all by myself and looked around for more.

See ya...Chrissy
Old 01-07-2003, 06:11 PM   #6  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

YEAH!!!!! Way to go Chrissy!!! I am so proud of you. I tried your method myself last night with lowfat cheese and crackers. I ate just my serving size and let it go. I was pretty proud of myself. We have the rest of our lives to practice this and I bet we can do it successfully.

Extra kudos for bringing it home and feeding it to the kids by the way.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:02 AM   #7  
Domestic Goddess

Somthing that I had to keep telling myself that really helped....this is not the last time in my life that I will have mac and cheese or pie...I can have more later I dont need more NOW! That really seemed to help me.

Thanks for the pat on the back.

Blessings, ChrissyB
Old 01-09-2003, 09:03 AM   #8  

Great job Chrissy. I'm still working on that mindset too. It's ridiculous to eat the amounts we eat when we are adults and can have more anytime we want. So I really don't understand yet the urgency involved in our eating.

My new mantra this year is to "act as if I'm a normal eater all the time." I really need to make a decision to deal with this or act out this behavior for the rest of my life. I don't know which is scarier:-)

I'm going to make the best of this new year. As to my craving, refined sugar (cookies, candy, pasta, pizza) is my downfall. I have an amount of control in public but in private forget it. I'm starting to think part of my abstinence will be to eliminate these from my diet and stick to whole foods and see how that goes and if the physical triggers stop.

Have a great day, another day to be healthier, right?

runnergirl
Old 01-09-2003, 09:59 AM   #9  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

I am with you 2. I don't understand how we as adults can act so out of control with food. It is a very scary place to be. My husband is the same way I am so it is doubly hard for me because we actually can talk each other into messing up. He doesn't try to when he knows I intend to be good but if I am waivering he won't hold me back. LOL And he shouldn't have to I know this. You guys inspire me to want to handle this and get over it and learn how to deal with the problem not shove it aside and have it come back to haunt me. THANK YOU.
Closed Thread