Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #1  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Default Indian food!!!

Hey guys

I have been doing really well on my diet plan... I am not looking at it as so much of a diet, more a healthy eating plan. The one thing, however, that I have been craving more than anything (I actually haven't had too many cravings at all!) is Indian/Pakistani/Afghan food! I just can't get enough of that kind of food...
Does anyone have any tips on what I should order and how much I should eat when going to one of these kinds of restaurants? I love that tandoori chicken but the naan is the thing that gets me... I know it has carbs galore but it's just so yummy! Help!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #2  
hee haw

S/C/G: 182/173.6/120

Height: 5'2"

Sorry I do not have any advise for you on this topic but I just wanted to say that I adore rich and creamy indian curries and love the naan too!
torta del burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I do! I'm an American living in India so I definitely hear you on difficulties ordering healthy Indian/South Asian food.

Dishes: I'm vegetarian so I don't know too much about meat dishes. Tandoori chicken, from what I hear, is the best option for low-fat. As far as veg food, go with daal, channa masala, or other lentil dishes. These are usually the healthiest options. Aloo Gobi and aloo mutter are also good, though they don't have as much protein. Palak paneer and anything with "korma" in the name are really really heavy. They are delicious but you may want to avoid them or eat them in small quantities.

Bread: I would avoid the naan at all costs- not just because of the carbs, but because it's unbelievable how much ghee (clarified butter) they put it in. Puris are worse, although I don't usually see those on menus of Indian restaurants in the US. The best options are roti/chapati. (Sometimes roti is used as a generic word for bread, sometimes it's specifically used to describe chapatis- which are basically just flour and water). Most chapatis come without any ghee or oil, but it doesn't hurt to ask the server when you order for no ghee/no oil. Even better- ask if they can make it with "atta" which is whole wheat flour.

Other: Lassis are actually not a bad choice, they are just usually big so they have 2-3 servings of yogurt in one lassi. Raita is a good accompaniment- it's yogurt with tomato and onions. Pakoras (deep fried spinach/veg), samosas (veg or meat in turnover type things) and most other starters are pretty high in fat and calories, and so are desserts, which are often pure ghee and sugar. In India the dessert shops have huge signs boasting "100% Pure Ghee!!" which is a delight to most Indians but a huge red warning sign to me ^_^ Skip these and if you really want a dessert just get a chai (without milk and sugar and add your own at the table. Otherwise it's basically sugar with a bit of milk and tea).

South Indian food is different from North Indian, but there are very few South Indian restaurants in the US. If you do like South Indian food, or want to try it, be very careful with the chutneys. Most of the options- dosas, idlies, uttapams- are pretty much all rice and carbs but are not absurd calorie-wise in moderation. It's the chutneys- specifically the peanut and coconut chutneys- that can be addicting and really high in fat.

Lastly watch out for portion size. Indian portions are enormous (though in the US we are used to big portion size!). As with most restaurants, it may make sense to only eat half and take the rest home. Or go family style, which is the Indian way, and order 2 dishes to share among 3 people.

Last edited by indiblue; 04-13-2011 at 06:27 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

I'm not really a fan of Indian food on the whole (I'm a vegetarian too so that excludes a tonne of dishes for me), but I do love Bombay potato as the exception (At least, I love our local take outs bombay ).

I saw a sachet of do it yourself bombay potato in the store and tried it out, it was very authentic in taste and obviously much healthier/low cal. I think you could even swap some potato out for something like parsnip or cauliflower for less carbs.

There was however something missing in the form of a drenching of oil and things which somehow completes the experience I rarely feel like Indian, so I think I'll just allow myself the 'real thing' once or twice a year.

In my opnion, if you don't often crave or want Indian food, just allow yourself a portion controlled amount of the real thing, or alternatively practice making your own
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity907 View Post
I'm not really a fan of Indian food on the whole (I'm a vegetarian too so that excludes a tonne of dishes for me)
Yes but Indian food is one of the most vegetarian-friendly and vegan-friendly cuisines available, if not *the* most veg/vegan friendly one available . Daal of all kinds, plus vegetable curry dishes make up an enormous percentage of the Indian diet. There is very little cow eaten (because of the Hindu belief against it) and pork eaten (because of the Muslim belief against it), so besides chicken and lamb dishes it's really mostly lentils and vegetables. And they do a bang-up job of making lentils and vegetables taste good!

All that to say if you don't like Indian food that's totally understandable, but if you haven't tried too many veg dishes it may be worth tasting a couple more simply because it's a really helpful option when eating out or cooking at home.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #6  
Trying again!

S/C/G: 179/172/139

Height: 5'7"

I must admit when my husband is cooking Aloo Saag it makes my mouth water, it smells so good, and the sight of the Bombay Potato he cooks makes me want to steal it when he's not looking!
Theyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #7  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

My advice is to plan a cheat meal for your indian food splurge. I would hate to have indian food without garlic naan and rich spicy curries with white rice and a glass of wine or beer. So just splurge, and then get right back on your eating plan. Life is too short for denial, practice moderation and enjoy!
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I would definitely avoid Indian food sold in restaurants, unless like river said, its a cheat meal. I have looked up calories for it before and they are quite high. Even tandoori chicken, which seems so benign compared to other dishes that swim in either oil or yogurt, are very calorie dense. I would suggest buying frozen Indian meals that you find in supermarkets. That way, you have the meal and know exactly how many calories you're having and you can hopefully avoid feeling deprived.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Indiblue: Our local Indian take outs/restaurants use mushroom in their curries and other dishes quite often. I have something of a phobia of mushrooms so that's off the menu for me
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #10  

serendipity totally understandable. I'm the same way with stewed bell peppers!!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #11  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

Omg, curse you for even typing the word 'Naan'!!!!!! AHHH I love Indian food, particularly naan dipped in makhani sauce!!

I should never have even opened this thread.
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I made this recipe twice Chicken Tikka Masala and it was great. I swapped the heavy cream for evap skim milk or FF half and half (I can't remember) and saved some calories.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #13  

Thanks guys for all the advice!
Txalupa- I know, right? Naan is my biggest downfall... :P

I was thinking I am going to do this about every other week as a cheat meal- I mean, Indian food is not necessarily "bad" for you- everything in moderation.

Munchy- did the Tikka Masala taste the same? I never thought about using evaporated skim.. that's a good idea.

Indiblue! Thanks for all the do's and dont's of Indian food! It's so hard for me to stay away from all the rich, creamy Indian food but I' ll mak more informed choices.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 364/ticker/199

Height: 5'11"

Skip the lassi and the bread if you can, I also really hold back on rice. I get lower calorie dishes like Mushroom Masala and vegetable samosa.
Sonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #15  

I try so hard to skip the bread but then I don't enjoy it! I love the veggie samosas though... unfortunately I think the place I get them from fries them.

What about Malai Kofta does anyone know that? It's like potato in this kind of gravy sauce. I love it but I'm sure the calories are wicked in that!