Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 246 /CW 229 /GW 150

Height: 5 ' 1"

Default using dieting to sooth painful emotions

Does anyone feel they use dieting to sooth themselves? The problem IMO is it works for me. I do feel less heartache, sadness, and other painful emotions when I start to fast, plan a diet, think about being thinner, etc. Eighteen years ago I was bulimic and I really thought I was past it. Now I have some sadness regarding a failed relationship and I have no desire to start bulimic behavior but am still "soothing myself" with dieting and plans for a thinner/better me.

A problem I see is my focus is now on how I can be thinner or change, I'm not really embracing my part for things turning out the way they did -which in reality has nothing to do with what I look like. It's like the poor image of myself keeps me self centered and ignoring behavior on my part that contributed to the breakdown.
catowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 141.8/136.6/110?

Height: 5'4

I thought something very similar this morning about my new lifestyle change. My "diet" has become a source of comfort for me. I am so regimented with that and my exercise, it's almost like a comfort for me. It's a constant in my life now. I think that is one reason it is so difficult to start a diet is because it is such a change. But, then you get used to the change and it becomes a constant, and then a comfort. It becomes something that is stationary in your life-something you can rely on and control.
runningfrom140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Yeah, loosing weight got me through some tough times the last few years. Only problem is the weight is gone now and the only person left to get me through is me. At some point you're going to have to feel.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I try to think of the planned meals & the planned exercise as a kind of trellis for me as I keep growing & twisting & turning. I like having that structural support.

My bigger problem has always been allowing myself to grow outward, away from the structure, to stretch myself beyond my routine at those times when it's healthier to be improvisational & live for the moment & yes, to feel whatever emptiness the structure may be hiding.

The trellis shouldn't take over, though. It's just there for support. In fact it's best when it's nearly invisible & you can work around it or get past it.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

Dieting helps me keep my self control over other things. Mostly emotional. I find that the times that I am more emotional, I am straying off my plan and diet and eating more junk and exercising less.

Maybe having something that you can control makes us all feel better because it is up to us.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5

I've had eating disorders before, and I find that they can be a way for me feel in control of my life, especially when there are things going wrong that are out of my control.

Of course, its good to have some control over your life and your decisions--but you can't control everything, and loving yourself is important too.

I think the best reason to diet are that you love yourself and want to do the best you can to take care of yourself because you are valuable and worth it.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote