Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Night time eating, what is your strategy?

Hello chicks
I wanted to post my concerns in this section for some help. I don't think I am an all out binger anymore, although I used to be, but I still have issues with overeating at night. I know this is a common problem and I am interested to hear how you are dealing with it. I feel like my night time eating is holding me back from losing anymore weight. I have been eating at more of a maintenance level lately because of it. When I was heavier this was not such a problem because I had more calories to juggle so I could get away with it. Since I took a break from calorie counting during the holidays, I feel like I am kind of out of control again and I am eating over 500 calories at bedtime every night. I just feel panicked and upset if I am not eating something as I settle down for the night. I tried the low calorie options like veggies or popcorn but they seem to lead to more of a binge because I tell myself that I should be allowed something else since I did well with these foods . Its all a head game, often I am not even hungry. I don't feel satisfied unless I have something salty, something sweet and something savory like cheese. I also seek volume. If it can be eaten in less than 5 minutes, I will crave more. I know I don't need these things, why do I do it?

I have always eaten like this since I was a child. I dont think I have ever went one night without eating a large amount of food unless I had a flu or something. Before I lost weight, I would often eat an entire meal before bed. I am toying with the idea of giving up night time snacks completely but the thought brings on really panicked feelings. I think its going to be harder than losing weight and quitting smoking combined. To top it off, I have a family so I can't limit foods completely and my husband snacks at night so the food is always around. I am also someone who can't sleep before 12pm no matter how hard I try. Going to bed early isn't an option.
How do you deal with these issues and has anyone successfully quit snacking at night all together. What was that process like for you?
Thanks for the help
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #2  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

The easiest way that I stop myself from eating at night is to do situps and drink a glass of water. I completely don't feel hungry after. If that doesn't work then don't feel like it's the end of the world if you eat something, just try and make it small and healthy. Tea helps a lot too.

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

I eat a full bag of fat free popcorn, drink lots of raspberry/hibiscus tea, and if the feeling persists, I will eat a HUGE apple (sliced into many pieces) and then deduct it from the next day's calories.
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #4  

I try:
Brushing my teeth REALLY REALLY well after dinner. (I dont have a nighttime snack, because I'll binge) I'm talking globs of toothpaste, floss floss floss and mouthwash...the kind that burns a little....very rarely will I eat with MINT taste practically filling the room I'm in everytime I exhale.

I make myself a cup of tea, even though I'm more of a coffee drinker. Just plain tea. And sip it obsessively. Sometimes the hand to mouth action saticfies that need.

That's all I've got. Night time is the witching hour for me too. I try to have a good book to read, or a movie ready that I want to see. Something to occupy my thoughts so food isn't one of them. Sometimes I just go to bed and lay there until I fall asleep, if I feel like I can't beat the need to eat. I know you said you don't go to bed until late. But I've gone and layed down when I'm not tired, because I thought I was going to eat...and I end up falling alseep a lot earlier than I thought I could. And I wake up grateful I made it through another night.
HTH
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #5  

Gees, I read my own post....that last line, you would think I was addicted to heroin...
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4

I drink lots of hot tea and If I really need something, or im under my calories ill slice and apple into small pieces and have one every few minutes. So ill have 10 slices and have one every 5 minutes. Its a game I like to play to keep me from binging. That way the apple lasts a really long time, and I always have something to look forward too
Emmieooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #7  

I'm mainly in here to see tips from others as I have certainly not conquered this issue yet!

Tea works pretty well for me, too, in part I'm sure because caffeine is an appetite suppressant. That's the tricky bit, though, because then I can't go to sleep, and when I stay up, I want to eat more.

For me, the absolute most effective is to go to sleep at a reasonable time. If I drift off soon enough after dinner that my brain hasn't registered being hungry again, I'm golden. If I stay up too late, time takes its toll and some crazy hormone shizz kicks in and suddenly I'm starving. I CANNOT fall asleep when I'm hungry. I can try and be disciplined and tell myself no, but it just means I'll lie awake for hours with a rumble in my tummy, lack of sleep the next day makes me hungrier, makes my body hang on to more calories....arrgghhh!!

At that point, I just have to choose something healthy, filling, and satisfying. High fiber cereal and milk work really well for me, sometimes. At first I thought it was too carb-heavy for right before bed, but digesting the complex carbohydrates keeps me full enough to go to sleep. High protein foods seem better for energizing me during the day. When I'd try them at night, I'd still be a little hungry.
LuLuLikesToulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #8  
I am worth it

Thanks for the replies. I am very determined to stay in control tonight. I am going to make a big cup of tea and maybe have an apple. I am getting myself ready mentally but I feel a little anxious about it. I know I can do it!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #9  
= ]

S/C/G: 350/280/150

Height: 5'4"

Live others, I've found drinking unsweetened decaffeinated tea helps. It feels more filling than just drinking water, and it has a flavor to it, so it's more satisfying.

Also, try a spoonful of peanut butter before you go to bed and wait a bit, that's worked for me in the past as well as it feels filling due to being 'heavy' feeling.
Rhapsodysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #10  
I am worth it

I am happy to say that I did fairly well last night. I had an old stand by snack of frozen raspberries with yogurt and I had a big cup of tea. I woke up feeling proud this morning. The only downfall with the tea is that I had to run to the bathroom a couple times through the night. Tea seems to do that to me. I think I might try an herbal and see how that goes. My true test will be the weekend when DH and I sit down and watch a movie. I hope I can do it!
Thanks for all the help, I don't know what I would do without 3FC