Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #1  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Default I need some help

Hi ladies and gents,
I haven't posted in this forum before but I didn't know where else to go. I need some serious advice on how to stop or work to stop binging. I've binged twice to the point of feeling sick and have made myself throw up. I have told myself even while throwing up it was stupid and dangerous but I didn't stop.

What can I do to keep this cycle from starting? I'm going to talk to my doctor when I see him but until then, is there anything anyone can suggest?
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

For me the binging starts when I make a mistake in my eating for the day and I think it is too late, I have already blown it. What I am slowly learning to do is stop and actually count out my calories, even if it terifies me. I have to figure out how bad I have really done. Usually it ends up that yes, I ate something I shouldn't, but I am still within my calorie range for weight loss. If I am not within the weight loss range, I am still always within maintanence.

If I can wrap my head around the fact that I haven't already completely blown it, I can usually avoid binging. Not always, but usually.

If I do not stop and figure out the approximate number of calories, it ALWAYS turns into a binge.

I have heard others suggest going for a walk when you feel the need to binge. And I know another trick is to go and brush your teeth. We normally don't like to eat right after brushing.

Another thing to try is just to challenge yourself to hold off on the binge for 5 minutes and see if you are still craving. Chances are that really strong urge will have passed by then, but if it hasn't then challenge yourself to another 5. You will surprise yourself at how long you can actually wait. And then once you are feeling proud of yourself for waiting, your feelings that make you want to binge are replaced.

Talking to your dr. is a great idea, and talking to your friends and family would be a good idea too. That is very brave of you. This will give you a network of support and people who will help hold you accountable. Sometimes just voicing it helps you realize why you are doing what you are doing.

Best wishes to you.
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I had mad out of control eating for two reasons.

1) I was angry and felt I had no outlet, so I took it out on food.

I've learned to manage anger in other ways so I no longer feel the need to chew anyone out symbolically via chips or something.

2) I had crazy blood sugar, so I felt out of control from that.

I've now learned I'm IR, and I have learned how to eat to keep blood sugar stable so I'm not setting myself up for one of those types of binges.

I think the "how do I stop?" solution has to stem from the "Why do I do it?"

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #4  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I do need to figure out the "Why" of this. Grr.. more things to over analyze, lol.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote