Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

Default Rewards for not binging?

I've had my eye on a Smashbox lipstick for awhile now but can't bring myself to purchase it because of the price. I am a true drugstore beauty through and through.

Many chicks here have little rewards for when they hit a weight loss goal. So I was thinking of rewarding myself with that lipstick if I make it a full month without binging.

Any thoughts on using non-food rewards as incentive to not binge? Has anyone tried anything similar?

So far the idea of buying this lipstick is keeping me on track.
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

It never occured to me! But it is a good idea.

If it's motivating you, do it! But, don't forget, that once you buy the reward, you have to come up with a new one...It helps to have some type of sustainable system.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #3  

Thanks for the reply! I'm surprised no one else has any thoughts about this.

I know it may not be the ideal solution for some people considering how intertwined binging is with deep, personal issues and emotions. Rewards will do little to help the problem. But for someone like me who binges because of dichotomous thinking, it seems to be working so far.

I definitely agree about new rewards after the first one. Lucky for me I always drool over expensive makeup and clothes but never buy them. I guess I now have the incentive to not binge.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi there,

I'm a bit reluctant to say anything mainly because rewards don't work for me *personally*. However, I support anyone's efforts to find what works for themselves.

If this reward system works for you.... think how fun it would be to make a couple of online wishlists. Find your fav online retailer (Sephora, Kohls, Amazon), create an account and then create a wishlist and visit often.

Best Wishes LataJones!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

If it works for you, go for it.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-27-2010 at 12:16 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #6  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I don't have rewards set up JUST for binging... I feel like if I said, "I'm going to buy this thing if I go binge-free 30 days," I'd be tempted to cheat and say... "Wellll, that was only a mini-binge", or "well, I've overeaten three days in a row, but it's not a BINGE, so..."

It just wouldn't work for me.

However, when I reach a weight that I am truly happy with, I have a dress and fancy lipstick picked out -- first thing I'm going to do when I hit my goal is go out and buy them, even though they're expensive. I think it's great to have motivators in place as long as that works for you.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #7  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

This is very interesting! I am curious what you would consider "binge" eating and if I'm doing it without even knowing it. I know I haven't done it since my lifestyle change (I hate using the word "diet"). But, wondering if I was doing it before...

I am using a reward system for the weight I'm losing. But it is kind-of a necessary evil. Clothes... I will have to buy new clothes when I lose the weight, but I am getting my heart set on certain pieces now to look forward to when I reach a certain goal. Whether it be a bathing suit (will never be a bikini, after 2 kids it would not be pretty even if I lost 100 lbs), or an awesome pair of jeans. Even jewelry, sunglasses, etc.

Interested in hearing everyone else's comments and wishlists : )

Mini Goal 4: 160 - 48lbs to go
Unrealistic Goal?? 155 - 63lbs to go

Last edited by BrittanieYork; 03-27-2010 at 03:54 PM.
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 157 / Ticker / 130

Height: 5'6"

I have a similar reward system but it's not based on binging - it's based on every 10 pound loss which involves no binging, exercise etc;. Every 10 pounds i reward myself with something vanity-related (such as getting my hair done, getting new makeup or buying new hair products if I reach my goal).
Tia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyra View Post
I don't have rewards set up JUST for binging... I feel like if I said, "I'm going to buy this thing if I go binge-free 30 days," I'd be tempted to cheat and say... "Wellll, that was only a mini-binge", or "well, I've overeaten three days in a row, but it's not a BINGE, so..."
That's a great point, Skyra. And this brings up what you are referring to, BrittanieYork - I guess it all depends on how we each define a binge.

I normally don't have a problem with overeating so I personally wouldn't label it a binge. For me, a binge is a complete out of control feeling where I eat with the full intention of stuffing myself silly until I am in literal pain, and it's usually with all my favourite forbidden foods. I have immediate guilt and regret afterward and sometimes even during, but that doesn't stop me until I can't eat another bite.

I see this whole concept of rewards as just another tool in my tool belt to conquer binge eating. If the other tools fail me, then perhaps this tool will save the day.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been a longtime lurker and it's nice to know that this truly is a great community. Good luck to all.