Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/210/150

Height: 5'10"

Unhappy I just crave sugar, sugar, and more sugar

Well, I am still deciding on a specific diet plan to start next week, but I just gotta know. Does anyone else crave sugar all the time? I feel like instead of eating regular food I am just craving sugar. I could totally eat a whole carton of ice cream by myself! Like, sometimes I eat a candy bar for a sugar fix, and then at night, I still want more sugar.

I have had this problem before, as I have been overweight most of my life, but it seems like the past few months its gotten worse. I just cant get enough. And I usually drink water, a lot, but lately I just want coke and more coke.

So, that's my craziness and I hope someone relates to this and can suggest something to help me. My diet wont last if these cravings do not go away.
lizziekeadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/250/140

Height: 5'4"

I used to crave sugar all the time too. I quit cold turkey in april 2008 and have not eaten anything with sugar since. if I do have sugar it must be the 5th ingred or more. You will have withdraw symptoms but these pass after a month. My doctor told me i have an allergy to sugar and that is why I crave it.
Badgerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Sugar makes you crave more sugar makes you crave more sugar makes you crave more sugar. Studies show that even drinking diet soda often leads to weight gain, because you are continuing the cycle of sweet cravings. I think you will hear this from a lot of chicks here. You are far from alone on this!

The good news is that you will also hear a lot of stories from chicks who have managed their sugar cravings successfully. Whether you choose a structured diet designed to reduce sugar cravings or you follow your own path, the way to reduce/eliminate sugar cravings is to reduce/eliminate sugar (and sugar substitutes) in your diet.

For cravings as strong as yours, eliminating sugar for a while may be your best bet. Cutting other simple carbs (white bread, etc.) will be helpful, too. And be sure to check the labels on any packaged or processed foods- you might be surprised at how much sugar (or corn syrup, etc.) is in these foods- spaghetti sauce, salad dressings, etc are LOADED with them. So even if you aren't eating ice cream, you are still fueling those sugar cravings if you eat such things.

Check out the forums for specific diets to find a lifestyle you can live with. Some of them have initiation/detox periods (like fatsmash and south beach) that really help you to fight the cravings and keep you eating healthy, filling foods.

I don't actually follow a particular diet, but eat mostly whole foods, no soda, and I rarely eat sweets. I used to crave sugar ALL THE TIME, and now I can take it or leave it. I NEVER would have imagined it. I still enjoy a little chocolate or ice cream once in a while, but its something to savor on occasion. I don't obsess about sweets anymore. Its become a non-issue. (now pasta is another story...)

I know cravings seem like they are beyond our control, but what you CAN control is what you actually choose to put into your mouth. You might really want or even crave soda or ice cream, but you CAN choose not to eat it. Keep making that choice and really, the cravings will lessen or even stop. I have read this from A LOT of people! If we can do it, so can you!!
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #4  

You can do some research on South Beach Diet.Most people say their sugar cravings are virtually gone after 2 weeks of clean eating.It might be for you
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

You get sugar from fruits and other foods. Learn to love other sugars. It is my weakness as well but I keep 10 cal jello cups and 60 can pudding in the fridge. Also crystal light makes popsicles that are 0/0/0! There are ways to have your sweets with out all the sugar. I hope that you find success. <3
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #6  

Smile thanks

thanks for the advice girls. Really, its funny, pucedaisy, that you mentioned fatsmash, because I just bought the book and was thinking about choosing this plan because of the 9 day detox.

Well, I think Im pretty well ready to give up sweets, hopefully for good. Its not going to be easy, but as least I know you girls are here to help!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

I started out doing a mix of Sugar Busters, South Beach & Atkins. Once upon a a time (about 2 months ago) I was a sugar whore... sorry for the vulgarity but it's really the best choice considering what I went through. I'm happy to say that those cravings have been squashed. I'm just not that interested anymore. It took about 10 days.
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I am a sugar lover too. I still crave it like mad. I use Atkins bars, sugar free candy and watermelon when I am in a sweet mood. It works for me.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Sugar is the most addictive substance on earth. Almost all processed food has sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup (I'm convinced that the scientists that came up with that did so with the intent of destroying the entire population)!! The more you have, the more you crave.

There's only one way to break any addiction whether it's alcohol, narcotics, nicotine, etc and that's to eliminate it from your diet. Only allow natural foods like honey and fruit to quench your sweet tooth. At first fruit will seem very very tart and then eventually (after a significant period of withdrawl) you will start to really TASTE the sweetness in fruit.

In order to expand your palate I would suggest to start eating foods that are naturally bitter. Endive, radicchio, escarole, frisee, are all wonderful greens that taste horrible to someone with an overdeveloped sweet tooth. These foods are not as popular as they were before 1970's when HFC was first invented. All our food now has sweeteners in it (check the labels!) and we have grown unaccustomed to appreciating the flavors of bitter, tart, and tangy because all we are taught to crave is sweet and salty.

Funny story - Since I have vastly reduced my sugar intake I've started tasting the sweetness in fruit and being luxuriously satisfied by it. Funnily enough though I thought I'd treat myself just yesterday to one of those 100-calorie packs of oreo cakesters. The sweetness was overwhelming... it made my teeth hurt!!! I could not taste anything except sugar and chemicals. I used to love that stuff but now I can't seem to stomach it anymore.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 291/159.8/150

Height: 5' 6"

I have a problem with sugar also...the more that I eat the more I want. I joined 3 Fat Chicks on August 6th and started eating healthy and I don't crave sweets at all...before I stared I was eating them every day and couldn't get enough of them. Through the years I have found that when I eat a healthy diet and stay away from sweets I don't crave them at all.
fjcinzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #11  

Default Thanks everybody

Thanks everybody for your advice. I am really exciting about starting my diet next week. Hopefully by blogging and through the support of you all I can be the healthiest of my life!

THANKS!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #12  

i echo what pucedaisy said.

until i started the diet i'm on now (high-protein shakes with 5+ servings of fruits/veggies a day) I was **always** craving sugar).

for the first time ever, I'm not craving sugar AT ALL.

i would never have believed it.

i think if you're not obtaining it from the right sources, you start fixating on the wrong ones.
ShihtzuX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 196.8/196.8/145

I know that eating properly is the best way to help these cravings but my mom is into natural supplements to help and there is one that can help curb sugar cravings. Some doctors even recommend it to get you started. I don't know what it's called but I'm sure you could find it one the internet to help get ya started. I'm thinking about taking it myself because all I crave is sweets.
subteacher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'4

yep me too! when I can detox from sugar, I have no issues, and my carb cravings go down then also...but it's the detox that kills me...and I like pure on cane sugar. but alas...have to fight the need until the need is gone.
thistime140 is offline   Reply With Quote