Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Don't know where to start...

I know that this is for "binge" eating, well binge eating isn't my issue, but I feel that my issue is just as severe, but I couldn't find a place for it.

My issue is that I don't eat. I know it's crazy and most people don't believe me at all, but I tend to forget to eat throughout the day, but sometimes I am so stressed out that all I want to do is eat so just I avoid eating by staying as far away from the kitchen as possible and keeping myself super busy. I typically eat 1 meal a day,(some days I go without eating at all) which isn't until 12:30 at night, when my boyfriend comes home from work, because I start cooking his meal that late and can't control my hunger anymore. I used to be anorexic before having children, so it's been very easy for me to slide back into that. I did the math for the past 2 days, day 1 I took in 356 calories the entire day, day 2 400 calories. I guess my body has gone into starvation mode and just stores away everything, because I'm sure as heck not losing any weight, but I'm not gaining either.

I've never been a fan of fruits and veggies...in fact as strange as it sounds they kinda scare me. I'll eat green beans with butter and garlic on them and corn, and that's it. Occasionally I'll eat an apple or canned pears, but that's adventurous as I get. I tend to eat alot of meat, but not much starch other then some bread on a sammie or some toast if I'm feeling ill.

My biggest downfall is coffee and candy. I'm known around my neighborhood by all the kids, as the Candy Queen. Everyone know that I have a big bowl of candy in the foyer and that there is always plenty more where that came from. At Halloween when everyone is out hurrying to buy candy, I'm not because I've got bags of it in my pantry. I live off of coffee. There are days when I drink 4 pots of coffee at home and then go to Starbucks and have 2 venti frappacinos, with quad shots of espresso.

I don't really work out, I get bored with it. I have a gym and will occasionally take my Ipod down to the gym and use the treadmill or bike for 30 minutes or so, but I get tired and bored and just give up. I used to go with a friend walking, we would walk 5 miles 3 times a week, but she moved and I didn't want to go alone, and no one that I know really wants to go with me. I have a pool and would love to figure out some water aerobics, but I think I'll look like a dork and if anyone ever saw me I'd be so embarrassed. IDK what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, anything?

I don't know what to do, where to start or how to lose weight.

Last edited by Fabulously Thick; 07-28-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Fabulously Thick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #2  
~jus' being me~

Well, I think you need to start eating (as simple as that sounds) for many many many reasons (as I am sure you are aware) if not only in order to start shifting the weight. I can actually understand where you are coming from on the not eating . . . for me when I have gone through that in the past its bcos that was easier than over eating and dealing with all the feelings that come up from that and feeling as though the longer I delayed it the easier it was - and fearing that when I started to eat "regularly" that I would never be able to stop eating or not even being sure what "normal" eating was.

Do you need some help with meal ideas for a few days? What kind of foods DO you like? Lets ignore what you dont like just for now and focus on the abundance of what you CAN/WILL eat.

Also, and most importantly - do you think that you will be able to eat regularly throughout the day? Because if you cannot eat or will not I would suggest that speaking to someone about this would be a fabulously freeing thing for you. And very helpful.

If its really just a matter of not being sure where to start and what are good choices then I am sure people here would be willing to give you ideas

But if you are not sure if you will be OK with eating . . . then please please see if you can speak to someone about this.

Hugs.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/250/175

Height: 5'8"

I know I can eat if I put my mind to it, I just don't know where to start. I'm thinking portion control and calorie counting, and limiting the sugar intake...but when I think about it, it scares me! lol

I really don't dislike alot other then fruits and veggies, and seafood. But I think if I could find ways to make fruits and veggies taste good I could do it...Oh the only other thing I can't do is mayo and ranch, makes me queezy just thinking about them, plus they aren't good for you anyway.

I'm kinda glad to know that there's someone out there who understands what I'm going through.
Fabulously Thick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

I went to my apartment pool in the morning when nobody was around yet for the day. I had an Aqua Jogger. LOVE!! I'd suggest that, it really only takes 20 minutes of "running" laps in the pool or even jumping jacks to make a difference.

As far as the eating goes... set an alarm clock. Put it by your computer or in your kitchen. My cellphone has 3 settings available so they could be scheduled to go off at mealtimes. Then you won't forget. Start small, Lean Cuisines etc. Just getting into the habit of eating at regular intervals is enough of a challenge to start.... work on food creativity and cooking later.

Good luck
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

As a fellow former anorexic. I totally agree with you needing to eat a little more. I think swinging your calories drastically will also help you lose the weight.

Definitely start by figuring out a plan. If you are afraid of going into full 3 meals a day. Fast-5 totally accomodates you. You basically don't eat until a certain time. (mine is anywhere from 2pm-5pm) and then you only eat for 5 hours. Having boundaries might help with the fear you will overdo it.

Next, have lots of fruits and veggies and good fats on hand. Nuts are calorie dense and so good for you. Peanutbutter is good to have on hand too. You will also need to write your food intake down, so you can feel comfortable with your eating. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing a plan similar to beach bum's. Basically eat like you are eating now one day and then totally revving it up to 2000 cs the next. You will not gain weight on this plan.

start small. maybe if you decide to start eating at 2 pm. Have a peanutbutter and jelly sandwhich on whole wheat bread. Have some fruit. A glass of milk.

then have a snack of handful of nuts

Dinner have one cup whole wheat spaghetti, some shrimp(chicken), veggies, A sweet treat maybe (that's up to you, I still eat icecream and cookies on my plan)
a glass of milk.

You definitely have to figure out what you are comfortable with eating, and how you are comfortable eating. Hugs to you! I know lots of heavier people who do the same thing. They just can't understand how they are not losing weight. It's because your body has lowered your metabolism for survival.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #6  
~jus' being me~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulously Thick View Post
I know I can eat if I put my mind to it, I just don't know where to start. I'm thinking portion control and calorie counting, and limiting the sugar intake...but when I think about it, it scares me! lol

I really don't dislike alot other then fruits and veggies, and seafood. But I think if I could find ways to make fruits and veggies taste good I could do it...Oh the only other thing I can't do is mayo and ranch, makes me queezy just thinking about them, plus they aren't good for you anyway.

I'm kinda glad to know that there's someone out there who understands what I'm going through.
OK, lets not panic about taking away ALL your sugar straight away. With a history of disordered eating the STOP NOW DONT EAT THAT approach isnt always the gentlest...

The thing that I have really liked about 3FC's is that it has shown me that you can make HUGE changes with a series of baby steps. I would encourage you to read some of the success stories on here . . . so many women have made a huge life change, just by putting down one candy bar at a time I know the suck it up and just do it approach works for some people, and it definitely has for me in the past - but for this point in my life it does not. If you feel that you are ok with just cutting everything out and rebooting your system TODAY then you can definitely take that approach too It all works if its the right way for you.

I like the idea that uniquely normal has - just set an alarm at intervals and that is when you will eat. And nothing wrong with lean cuisines as a start just to get you into the habit of eating.

Log onto the daily plate or calorieking.com or fitday or sparkpeople (all are great) to start logging some food for your day.

Just plan breakfast, lunch and dinner and some snackerooneys in there. I will never give up coffee so I wouldnt suggest you need to do that at all

Now. You know that you will need to limit candy at some point but lets not panic about that yet. I think the key is just to get the momentum of some regular eating for you.

Do you have the resources to see a dietician? They can be REALLY helpful to help normalise food and make it all very simple.

And you know that at some stage you will need to address the emotional/mental side of all of this
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #7  

I think everyone gave great suggestions.
One point I'd like to make is about coffee.
This is from my own experience with coffee.
Coffee totally messes with my appetite clock.
When I was working crazy hours, I would sustain myself on coffee and miss lots of meals, but not really miss eating. I wasn't hungry until late in the evening (when all th coffee wore off) and I'd have a huge dinner. Bleh.
Anyway, I still drink coffee, but I am totally aware of how it supresses my appetite, and I work around that.

Try kicking the caffine (I know, I know) for a while, not permenently, but just so you can start getting your natural hunger signals back. Then incorporate the coffee back in (if you like).
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 219/219/150

Height: 5'2

I also forget to eat and am over weight I guess yeah your right our bodies are in starvation mode. I am trying to eat more like yogurts and fruits.
Duchesssammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #9  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

One thing that's helped me learn how to re-eat and re-discover a lot of foods (like you, I thought I was doing great eating a veggie a day, or a piece of fruit.... HAH!! Try 7 to 8 servings now!!!) is to remind myself all the time that I'm eating to LIVE, not eating to indulge or eating to enjoy. Sure, it's nice to enjoy.... but darn it, eating is NOT supposed to be the thing that you enjoy the most in life. Eating is supposed to nourish you, keep your body well oiled and functioning. Eating the things we like is not usually eating the things our body truly, absolutely needs. It's kinda like buying a luxury car.... then putting the wrong kind of gas in because you didn't FEEL like putting the right kind in. Eventually, stuff is going to start breaking down.... no matter what kind of money you spent on it. Once you realize all that..... then those days (for me, it's once a week) that you go out to eat with friends and enjoy the "naughty" things are quite alright! I don't gain any weight from it, and I don't feel guilty about enjoying.

Last edited by starfishkitty; 08-10-2009 at 10:02 PM.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote