Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/203/165

Height: 5'8

Lightbulb Realized I have Binge Eating Disorder

hello,

this is my first post. I have been struggling with my weight since I was a little girl. It seems I've always liked food. I went on a number of diets throughout my life only to fall to a binge. In highschool I starved myself down to 135. In college my weight ballooned on and off between 187 and 212. I recently realized that my binges are falling closer together and lasting longer. Up until 2 days ago, I was completely out of control. I was eating an entire large pizza with ice cream to wash it down. Chips and Dip is my weakness. I was eating entire bags and containers of sour cream

I'm trying to get back on track with my usual healthy eating habits and exercise. I fear that I will fall off the wagon again so I decided to join 3 Fat Chicks today. As a part of staying on track, I am commiting myself to logging on everyday to gain and give support....one day at a time....

Hope you are all staying strong.
FutureSkinnyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you should see a therapist if you truly believe it's a disorder.

I know I used to do a lot of my eating out of boredom and loneliness, now I do what I can to not be bored at home, volunteer, play with my pets, and so on.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

I wish you lots of luck.I too have realized I binge eat.I took my husband on a binge today at MCDonalds. I am sure they were glad when we left. I have good intentions everyday. If I could just stop eating all together!
One bite and I struggle for control all day.
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

cartp - your avatar spoke to me. Hun - you ARE a flower - NOW! You are a beautiful, glorious flower. Celebrate the 22 lbs you have lost so far.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #5  

Welcome to chicks in control.You, like many of us, struggle with binge eating.You will get support and inspiration here.Be kind to yourself.It is a minute to minute struggle for me.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #6  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Future Skinny Chick,

I read your post and wanted to reply because I am going through this too. I know WHY I do it - but somehow can't seem to stop it. When I fall off the wagon - and I am off it right now - I eat horrendous amounts of food. I have found the triggers and I'm just trying to remove them...it helped writing things down when I did binge and how I was feeling at the time. Maybe some of these might help so I will share them with you:
* Tired - when I am tired I turn to food rather than my bed (although sometimes I will just eat the food in my bed!) - this is often after work.
* Stressed - I turn to food for comfort often when I am stressed at work - I stop by a bad fast food place on the way home.
* Drinking Alcohol - I eat bad for days after and don't drink enough water
* Letting myself have a 'treat' - it leads to more and more
So a few things I am going to do: I am not taking any cash to work - once I get home, I won't go out and get anything - I am much more likely to go work out or have a nap. No drinking and no cheating - until I can find better balance and self control.
Wishing you all the best, if you want to chat more let me know
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/203/165

Height: 5'8

I am amazed by all of your stories and accomplishments! You guys are really getting me through the weekend.

I always felt I was the only person in the world who was dealing with this. I was so embarrased and felt so much shame. It was my dirty little secret...

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT

Today I am supposed to take my mom out to dinner. Its usually a good excuse for me to order the most indulgent and fatting thing on the menu. Well I'm beating my demon to it by going to a local healthy resturant. The food is yummy but very healthy and low fat. The menu and nutrition info is online. I'm in CALI but maybe they have others in different states.

I'm not allowed to post links yet so I'll give you the name. FITNESS GRILL. Its just a suggestion in case you are looking for somewhere healthy to go.

Lets make it a good day
FutureSkinnyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #8  
Stay Focused

S/C/G: 210/203/140

Height: 5'6

I also have a problem with binging. I don't think its serious enough for me to see a therapist and I don't think its anything that a little self control can't cure. What do you guys do do when you have the urge to eat everything in sight?
Dominique19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I only discovered I have binge eating disorder in the last few months. It took a broken ankle and not being able to get into the kitchen for me to notice I have a problem. I haven't got any medical help and I'm just trying to fight the urges to binge at home. Now I know I binge when tired, bored, depressed, stressed, angry, upset, frustrated etc. I've found I can be more aware of myself and how badly I react to everything and more empowered to not go and eat none stop when I feel those things. Writing down everything I eat helps too. It's been about 8 weeks since I stopped binging so so far is working for me. Exercise is also helping as that reduces my feelings of frustration and tension.

Tomorrow I'm going to mcdonalds with my husband so he can binge on his birthday so that's going to be my latest challenge but these days I see my eating disorder as a challenge rather than a big problem. I'm calories counting so tell myself I can eat anything I want it just has to stay within calories...so maybe I'll eat the chocolate that's trying to demand I eat it next week if my calories are a little low that day rather than today. It takes a lot of self control but you can do it.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I'm out the door to work, but wanted to say that this thread is truly an answer to my prayers. I've been dealing w/ binging forever, but never really put a label on it, and never felt I was 'that bad', it wasn't until now that I admit that yes, I am 'that bad' and that I need help.

I already of a psychiatrist because I'm bipolar, so I do have someone I trust to bring it oup to.

My thing is generally I'm alright, generally compliant, but when I fall off the wagon, even a little bit, I hurl myself from it, eating everything in sight like pakman. Then I feel crappy, physicially and emotionally, then I 'punish' myself by eating more food, even though I"m not hungry. I have never told my husband how much I eat... and I won't, either.

I've kept pretty even with the weight gain, but it's still so hard to deal with.
I guess it took this long to admit that I have an issue. I was ashamed, still am...that this isn't somethingi I could get under control myself.

I'm very critical of myself in other aspects of my life, but not nearly so as I am with food. At work my critical nature makes me good at my job... sometimes It feels like I'm not fixable. I don't want to have to go see a therapist, but man, there are days....

I have to run, but I wanted to thank the original poster for this thread. I'm not happy, I'm still trying to deal with it, but now there appears to be a light at the end of hte tunnel.

I tried intuitive eating, where you pretty much eat when you're truly hungry and stop when you're satisfied. That got me 15 lbs in a month.....up.
I don't have that 'I'm satiated' button in my brain.

Until I'm able to see my Doc, I'm going to try this: I give good advice to other people and I treat other people verey well.....better than I do myself. I'ts not right, but that's what it is. I've taken to writing letters to me from me, but as if I'm sending it to a friend that I'm trying to help...
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #11  
Searching

I find having a food plan every day and recognising and naming my emotions help. A new tool I have recently added to my tool box is to ask myself and this includes spending money, eating, sex, whatever, am I acting in a way that is consistent with my values? If I value health why would I chose to put a whole pizza into me.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I am usually pretty good with eating healthfuly, and staying on plan... it's just when I do mess up, I have a hard time coping with it and not eating everything in sight. I need to find a coping mechanism that doesn't involve food.

If I spend more money than I planned on, I don't go on a spending spree to 'show myself'..it's just with food.

I agree w/ naming your emotions, and owning/acknowledging what's going on, good or bad. At times I even try to sneak things past myself.. " Oh, I want this Big Mac, yup...just because I'm hungry and that's what I want...."
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #13  
Searching

So you need to probably back one step up. So why are you messing up (I mean we all do right?) , but what can you do to make the choice to either not mess up or walk into acceptance instead of more food when you do?

I don't know what will work for you. I do know for me walking away from the food helps. Take what you like and leave the rest
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #14  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

I really find that planning what I'm going to eat in advance is important. It's like you're setting yourself up to succeed by taking control beforehand. I think it's a great step that you checked out the menu online first.
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote