Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #1  
rainy

Default Is all the emotional eating wrong?

Last night was in distress because of work and people who do a lot of backtalking to me there, and I ended up in front of the fridge...which is not good because I could skip a binge the other day and I was so proud of myself, but...alas...not last night.
I had a paleo-muffin, a banana, a cup of tea (unsweetened) and a few slices of lean salami...it's completely paleo so nothing that goes against my diet. Also, I think it wasn't that much a 'binge' because the quantity was moderated, and, additionally, I'm allowed a snack before bed. But still I cannot keep off my mind the idea it was a binge because it was emotional eating. Sure I ate because I was stressed, not because I was hungry, and yes I sticked to my plan anyways, but I don't feel like calling it a 'snack', more of 'a binge'...messing with my mind I guess.
There's something in me that sais I should feel guilty, and something that sais it was ok in the end.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 AM   #2  

I think rather than "wrong/right, good/bad" it's like, you negotiated your way through the food-mood in a way that didn't mess up your goals. So that's mindful eating in my book.

what is paleo food?
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 AM   #3  
rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8-EEE View Post
I think rather than "wrong/right, good/bad" it's like, you negotiated your way through the food-mood in a way that didn't mess up your goals. So that's mindful eating in my book.

what is paleo food?
Thank you! Lol, just hearing someone else's opinion on it makes me feel better.

Paleo food is food according to the paleolithic diet (no grains, no starchy vegs, no sugar, no dairy) essentially: meat, fruit and vegs, nuts and seeds.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #4  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

When you said paleo-muffin, my first thought was one that was so dried out it was like it was petrified. And yes, I have binged on things like that when there was nothing else in the house!
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have never heard that term before. Wow, that's very disciplined.

To answer your question, well, I am not sure I can..what I can say is that FOR ME I try to get myself through the stress, depression, loneliness or whatever I am feeling by choosing something besides the food. Eating the food is what got me through those times before (and why I was obese) and I am working hard to replace those habits and make new habits stick.

There are other guilty indulgences I do use (and give myself permission) when the occasion strikes. But I really try to not let food be my answer anymore unless I am hungry.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-27-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/248/160

Height: 5'11"

I had a similar experience the other day. It's that time of the month for me and I will sometimes drop off the emotional deep end. Thursday evening I had a melt down because I have an assignment due for one of my courses in two weeks. Really, it was all very silly and totally hormone driven but it was still enough to send me running for my old refuge of food.

Like you I didn't eat anything off plan. Even better was that I didn't go above what my general calorie allowance was for the day but it was emotional eating. On one hand I'm glad I didn't head for the 711 and buy large quantities of chocolate but on the other, I indulged a bad habit and it sets a bad precedent.

What it comes down to was that I need better coping techniques. Exactly how I'm going to change how I comfort/reassure myself I don't know. Maybe a hot bath with a nice bath oil or salts? Or perhaps I should find a sappy movie to watch. It's just so easy to fall back into old patterns when I'm upset!

MN.
ManyNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

my personal belief is that eating for emotional reasons is not balanced, and not truely healthy.

but if i was going to binge, better to over eat healthy foods than junk.
actually what you described sounded more like a meal than a binge. i wouldn't worry about it, esp if it was just a one time thing.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #8  

Don't bother , this is not a big deal! Go ahead !
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote