Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #1  
jmwt

S/C/G: 242/199/140

Height: 5'7

Default Obsessing About Eating Sugar

I know I can't be alone. I am a serious sugar addict. I have been sugar free for 2 weeks now. The last few days have been horrible .

All I want is to eat sugar sugar sugar. All my foods that make me feel better for the minute, and lulls my emotions, and makes me sleepy...then the horrible sugar aftermath. Which is the only reason why I have not eaten the sugar. My depression was so bad when I finally got off the sugar train a few weeks ago, I was ready to check myself in to a facility.

I am going to a accupuncturist tonight believe it or not...that is how desperate I am . The sugar, the depression, the weight gain, my inability to sleep through the night....I will try anything right now if there is even a remote possibility of relief.
venusbirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

You are going through withdrawal. Not fun huh? Your body (including BRAIN, EMOTIONS, ETC.) is used to getting it's sugar fix. It's wreaking havoc on your entire system.

The good thing is....this will pass. think of heroin addicts going through withdrawal. It's so bad that most of them can't even do it without using medication to help them through the withdrawal.

I honestly feel that withdrawing from anything is just as bad, but because no one thinks it's just as bad, not many people give it the attention it deserves. But it is!

I cut out dairy and wheat and did a liver cleanse and for TWO ENTIRE WEEKS I sobbed every single day. All I did was cry. Then it passed, and I started to feel like a new person.

So there is hope just ahead!!

I feel for you!!

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Same place as you.

I am in the same place as you today really really having a specific craving so I'm trying to find new supports and I'm here looking for something as fun as eating seems sometimes. It's not fun going through sugar withdrawal though. It's just hard. I'm looking for something thats better than my craving and wont get me into more trouble later.
Big Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Aw, that's no fun. I bet if you've really been sugar-free for 2 weeks, the cravings are about to pass. It's not that you never want sugar again, but it does become much more manageable.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #5  
Luddite

S/C/G: 177/168/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough patch. You're definitely not alone!

I had the same problem- about two weeks into cutting out sugar I REALLY started to struggle. Physically the addiction is leaving, but two weeks is long time to go without an emotional crutch that has become so habitual. It's like the initial rush of "I'm making a change NOW" determination starts to fade a bit, and it makes everything harder.

I started making things like banana cookies or a big bowl of oatmeal with raisins and Stevia for sweetner, and those satisfied my need for sweet-tasting comfort food (stalled my weight loss a bit, but it was worth it). The emotional changes come more gradually, but they do come.

Stick with it! You WILL get through this, and I promise it is worth it to be away from that poison!
icicle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm agreeing with Julie, you're right on the brink of getting past the sugar detox phase.

Sugar-free is the best way to go when you have it as your trigger food.
Start subbing in healthy whole foods as alternative to sugar, and you'll see that you'll have begun to form new eating routines and habits in 2 or 3 more weeks.

oh, and i have been through accupuncture, don't feel silly at all for that!!
I think you will be pleasantly surprized. I miss my weekly sessions!
Make sure to tell your accupunturist that you have cravings for sugar, because they can address that specifically.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #7  

Saying you can't have it will make you want it more? Are you going to never ever eat it again? How will that work out..is it realistic?
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #8  

Hi there,
I am in the same boat as you. I can't control sugar when I stop, but I do know I feel better once the cravings pass. Know you're not alone.
luvmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #9  
Luddite

CousinRockingChair- it's hard, but for people who are truly sugar addicts, it may be the only way. I tried moderation for 10 years and failed for 10 years. So yes, it's realistic to give it up forever, because the alternative is returning to out of control misery. Unthinkable.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #10  
jmwt

S/C/G: 242/199/140

Height: 5'7

Thank you all for the responses and the support. I went to the accupuncturist and I have no idea if it helped (too soon) but she gave me some herbs to make into tea (which tastes like mud) but I had deep restful sleep last night.

And yes it is realistic to not eat processed sugar- one day at a time. I really do not have to worry about the rest of my life- just this very moment and not sticking a cupcake in my mouth.

Again- really thanks to everyone- have been pretty down for 4 months.
venusbirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Yes, it sounds drastic to swear off sugar, but it all depends on the person. I think if you can realistically have one chocolate bon bon, and feel satisfied, then it is all well and good for you to treat yourself on occasion. If having one only leads to intense out of control cravings, then you are probably better off to treat it as an addiction. Once it's out of your system you will crave it less.

for people like me, it is seriously an addiction as much as alcohol is for an alcoholic. Alcoholics abstain from alcohol because one drink can cause a complete relapse.

For people like us, it's the only way to end the cycle.

and i don't plan to never eat it again. When i reach my goal, l'll ease up a little. it's just that the constant relapses are getting me no where.

it depends on the person. how strong are the cravings, how big are the binges.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #12  
Luddite

Glad you finally got some rest Venus.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #13  

Are there any good human studies on sugar addiction?

I'm not being bolshy here, just wondered.

I know there's all the "well, rats' teeth chatter in sugar withdrawal" stuff, does anyone have any (haha, I'm procrastinating..I have an essay..) peer reviewed links ?
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi venusbirth, I hope you're getting to like the taste of your 'mud tea' a little better by now, those herbs can taste awful ! And it's great that you slept better.
I wondered if you've read the South Beach Diet book ? The food plan in there really, really does help with sugar cravings and after the first two weeks which are strict, it's a very healthy way of eating. If you head over to the South Beach forum here and do a search on cravings, you'll get loads more info about how well it works to kill them.
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #15  
Luddite

I second Artemis' South Beach suggestion. I don't follow that plan, but the book was really insightful and helped me curb my binge-eating.

RockingChair- I don't recall reading any serious human studies, just studies done in animals. I'd also be interested to know if there were any.