Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/135

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation Fasting

Hi there everyone!

So I searched around the forum for a long time but I had some trouble finding a thread specifically on this subject so I figured I'd try to start one.

Do any of you fast? If you do, would you mind sharing how you go about it, challenges that you have with it, and how long you do it for?

I have always thought of fasting as a helpful and deeply spiritual thing. I like to do it when I am beginning to feel disconnected from my body. Generally, I undertake my most intense ones just as the seasons change from winter to spring. Spring cleaning, if you will.
I'm always careful about it, drink lots of water and tea, and laxative teas to keep things moving and all in all, while its hard I find it to be very rewarding.
I should stress here that it isn't something I do to "lose weight quick" but to improve the overall heath of my body.

What you y'all think about fasting?
Talamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #2  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I fast sometimes. Generally I only do one day of just a water fast. I do this for two reasons: to appreciate food and to remember what REAL hunger feels like. I've come to a point where I started to abuse food and I use this as a way of reminding myself that I need food to LIVE not to to just shove randomly in my mouth for pleasure. For me it's not for weightloss it's more of a reality check. It is really hard to do even just one day. Towards the end of the day I have to constantly remind myself of the goal. Then the next morning when I break my fast with breakfast I have to remember to go light and work my way up to heavier foods throughout the day otherwise my system gets really out of whack. I don't use any laxatives, I think those are dangerous and since I am just fasting for 1 day at a time it is not necessary for me. It IS really important to listen to your body. There was one time I was feeling really weak and HAD to eat. Not sure I helped any, but at least you know you're not the only one!
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #3  
Sandee

S/C/G: 205/130/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Fasting

I found the weight loss program for me after fasting and prayer. I do a liquid fast for 3 days at the beginning of the year followed by 18 days of the Daniel Fast...no animal products...just fruits, vegetables, legumes, herbal and green tea, water of course. I'm in Cea HOW so a water fast would be out of the question...and according to Dr. Don Colbert it will shut down your colon...not something you want to do especially if your goal is to release toxins and extra weight. I always feel amazing physically and spiritually after doing it...I was constipated and bloated a few weeks ago and did a 2 day juice fast...now everything is working great again. I juice fresh fruits and vegetables and use sugar free soy milk or kefir...if I'm not doing the Daniel fast...for the protein. Here's what I do:

Breakfast:

1/2 C fruit juice
1 C kefir or soy milk
1 t olive or 3-6-9 oil
green drink (I like Green Magma)

Lunch:

2 C vegetable juice...(I like beets, carrots, celery and ginger root)
1 C kefir or soy milk
1 t olive or 3-6-9 oil
green drink

Dinner

3 C vegetable juice
1 C kefir or soy milk
2 t olive or 3-6-9 oil
green drink

Praying during this time is so powerful...and don't forget to meditate
Happy2BeSandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/179/125

Height: 5'7"

I've done it many times in the past and considering doing it again soon (when I don't have a grueling work schedule). I am an Atheist, so spirtually/religiously, I do not do it for that. I do it rather because I love it. I feel like it cleanses out my body and I know this sounds a bit weird, but it's one of the reasons why I volunteer periodically at the humane societies and rescue animals (not to mention I'm a huge animal lover). I feel they're kinda "left out" when it comes to charities and being that I connect better with animals then I do with people, I want to help them the way they've helped me.

Anyway, long story short, I think everyone should try it at one point. It's a great experience and reminds you of what you DO have.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

I'm thinking of doing this today, actually, as I've been incubating this stupid flu-thing for the longest time. I'm hoping to knock it out by fasting on water, green tea, and possibly small amounts of fruit as needed. I agree that fasting can be a good way to remind yourself of true hunger and to realize that you only need food to live.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #6  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I can't fast because then I just won't eat. I get in a cycle where I won't eat for sometimes three days then I'll binge then I won't eat again ,binge.... Is a killer on the brain (I work at a university teaching so need a brain!) and can't exercise. Then once the cycle breaks I'll over eat for a week or so and make myself sick.
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #7  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Happy2BeSandee - what is green drink? and do you mix that oil with something or just drink it?
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

I'm coming up on the end of my "24 hour fast to cure the flu". (5am Sunday- 5am Monday)
Strangely, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I've had one Asian pear, and one apple, and loads of green tea/brown rice tea and citron tea.

Hoping that I'll feel better in the morning.

Last edited by Alexistrophic; 03-30-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote