Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #1  
Supermom!

S/C/G: 289/283/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Everything sets me off on a binge!

So what do you do if reading about weight loss, reading about low fat, low carb, binge eating, OA, etc. ALL sets you on a binge? It's without fail. Everytime I log on to the Internet, I have the best intentions of looking up educational things... things that will help me better myself, specifically, lose weight. But every site and every thing I read about weight loss, dieting, etc. always sets me off and makes me hungry, gets me thinking about food, steers me back to the kitchen, makes me feel deprived... just thinking about going on an abstinence diet makes me feel deprived and want to binge!

Help! How do you stop the cycle and lose weight if the thing that can help you lose weight is the thing that makes you eat?

Does that even make sense?
queenie467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Hmmm, I understand you, although I don't have any similar experience. I don't think I really researched a lot before I started -- I did it cold turkey. On May 31, 2005 I had my "last" binge before the big commitment to dieting and exercising. The next day, I don't remember what I ate, but I set a calorie goal (you can use calorie calculators on the internet -- or have someone else do it if you think it will set you off), and I didn't go over it. I also walked on the treadmill for 4 minute stretches. I just did it. I knew I had to eat less and move more to lose the weight, so that's what I did. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later (after I was doing well) that I went to the library to check out the diet and nutrition books to come up with a detailed plan. I remember looking at some of the recipes in the back and feeling the binge urge creep in, but I wasn't about to undo the hard work I'd already accomplished, so I fought them. So, I guess I do have some experience So, my advice to you is -- take the basic rule of dieting -- eat less and move more -- and after you have had success and are in a groove, then supplement your plan with knowledge.

Good luck!!!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

This isn't an instant solution, but once you start eating well, you will be amazed at how much better you feel. You may not notice feeling poorly now, because your body is used to it. But once you're more accustomed to healthy eating, you'll notice the difference. I've been a binger, and have managed to get it fairly under control. But when I do go overboard and eat too much, MAN do I feel like crap. Now, that's become one of my major "binge busters" - I remind myself that shoving sugar in my face for an hour is not worth 2 days of feeling barfy.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #4  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

Hi! I can relate to what you're saying. I try to go to OA every week, and have been for a couple of years now- on and off. But I don't really think it's what keeps me going. One day I just decided ---THIS IS IT! Something clicked and I've been running my butt off on the treadmill and I try my best to eat well ever since. That's not say that it's always easy---CAUSE LET ME TELL YOU---The Holidays were brutal, but I am back to being committed to myself. I DESPERATELY want ot live (be healthy), but also LIVE --enjoy the life we only get one of! I wish you all the success and strength in the world!
Rocker Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #5  
Supermom!

S/C/G: 289/283/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks so much for the support, guys. I am really inspired by everyone's progress. I am going to try to cut my calories and work in more exercise and see how I do. It's the easiest and simplest thing to do.
queenie467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #6  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie467 View Post
Thanks so much for the support, guys. I am really inspired by everyone's progress. I am going to try to cut my calories and work in more exercise and see how I do. It's the easiest and simplest thing to do.
Good luck. Just take it one step at a time and you'll find it much easier to cope that way. You can do it.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/130/120

Height: 5'3

I See All My Thoughts To Eat Off My Plan As Mean And Cruel. I Am Well When I Dis-identify From All That Food Obcession. Take A Hot Bath, Deep Breathe And Drink Some Hot Tea- Works Everytime
SPIRITANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #8  
QuiltButts

S/C/G: 257/236/185

Height: 5.5

Its hard queenie, but you hang in there. Sometimes hearing about weightloss stuff just made me so depressed I would just be like screw-it, I'm always going to be fat so go eat everything! But a couple of things made me want to try - 1) my mom is bigger and she has had so many joint pains and surgeries, she'll never be totally out of pain and I want to be at least able to move when I'm older 2) through many different diets and attempts I've learned about calories, whats healthy, etc. so in each attempt you will learn and grow! 3) I'm a foodie and I actually have found quite a few favorite things that are low calorie. 4) I've learned about myself, and I know sugar is my worst problem. If I stay away from sugar I can eat healthier and more moderate. I don't cut out all sugar (atkins just leads to yoyo-ing for me) but I don't eat dessert, an apple is a sweet for me. I've kept 20 lbs off for a few years now just by getting away from drinking sugar, my favorite beverage is tea, hot, iced, black, jasmine, herbal, but always w/o sugar. Good luck all!
quiltbutts is offline   Reply With Quote