Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-20-2007, 01:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/198/178

Height: 5'6"

Default What about Starting?

Okay, so I've been really focusing my intent on making changes to my lifestyle, diet, etc-because, I gotta tell you, I am sick of feeling like this. But my biggest problem is not STOPPING my negative behavior, it's STARTING the good stuff that I can't do!!!
For instance, I can be pretty good at generally trying to eat healthy most days-but try and get me to the gym-NO WAY. And the thing is, I like going to the gym-when I actually go, but I just end up going every now and then, instead of STARTING to go as part of routine.
Help!!! Does anyone out there have some words of encouragement for actually getting yer butt out the door??!?!?
just_so__frustrated!!!
keeponkeepingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 137/127/125

Height: 5'1''

Sometimes you'd be surprised about what the little things can do for you. Being able to stop "negative behavior" is a huge step, so kudos to you on that! It's hard to make so many changes at once (eat right, gym, etc.) so focus on the smaller things...just eliminating the bad behaviors should show you great change. Do you like walking? Often putting on some music and going for a nice walk beats the gym any day. Perhaps once you start feeling better and more energized you'll make it to the gym more. Great job in just starting...don't be so hard on yourself, you seem off to a great start!
uf gator linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #3  

What Ive found is, DONT think - just do it. If you start thinking, you make a huge deal out of it, but once you get out there its actually not such a huge deal. And before long its become a habit and you do it automatically. But yeah! Maybe if you dont like the gym, try walking or something else, like the person above mentioned. Then it doesnt feel too much like you're forcing yourself to exercise against your will etc. And its easier than going to the gym, since you just have to get yourself out that door! Anyway, good luck to you! Already by eating well, that's half of it!
julz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I agree with uf gator linz... it's hard to change everything at once. I've started by addressing when I eat.... now that I feel in control of that (ie. no random snacks (just one planned one) and no eating after dinner). But, after having dropped a few pounds, I seem to be at a standstill, so I've re-examined my eating (food diary, but not calorie counting), and found a few places to trim, to hopefully jumpstart the weigth loss again.

As for the exercise, I don't struggle with that, but here's what I do. My workout is 6 am on the ET in my basement. Would I prefer to sleep in? You bet. But I schedule my workout days ahead of time, so it is just like any other appointment. You might want to "schedule in" your trips to the gym. Also, my alarm is across the room, so I have to physically get out of bed. My workout clothes are all laid out in the bathroom, so I can change without waking DH. I have an array of DVD's to watch while working out, to make it as pleasurable as possible. One trick I used in University, when I was doing the aerobics class thing was to make an appointment to meet a friend there - it helped us both, as neither of us wanted to blow off the workout, knowing that the other was waiting for us there. One last idea is something that works when I'm trying to solve a problem with my kids.... a sticker chart. Think of a small treat, and make a deal with yourself that you can have it after you fill up your chart with X number of trips to the gym.

Good luck!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #5  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Work it into your schedule. Otherwise, you have to make a choice every time you think about it.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you have the healthy eating part down then that is excellent! Excersize is wonderful as well, but not absolutely neccessary to losing weight. And if you are more likely to give up entirely because you can't nail both components then just try to ease up on yourself and just accept that you might not be able to do everything all at once. Allow yourself to make changes gradually and don't give up because you can't get yourself to focus on exercize at the moment. Don't worry.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/159/148

I too have issues with the exercise, just really don't like it. To be honest joining this forum and participating in some of the challenges is what has got me up and doing something. Every month I pick some kind of goal and then put it in my ticker and update it daily. I don't always make it but I know I do better then I would if it was just up to me.
Spideranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/198/178

Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for all the advice-this is all very helpful, especially the small steps and making it part of my routine-this is a great point, so that it is not a choice each time.
I feel better

thanks!!!
keeponkeepingon is offline   Reply With Quote