Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

Default How to keep a binge from turning into days

So this is my biggest problem. I can get into a groove of not bingeing and feel great, but then I binge once and I can't stop. I'll keep eating for days. I didn't binge all week, since, Monday, and was feeling cocky and like I had gotten over it (hah that's hilarious). Then last night I just went crazy, eating as much as I could. I woke up today and haven't stopped eating. I just can't seem to break it. How do you guys get back on track after a binge?
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I had a short run of that recently. You're right once you start, the cravings continue to keep going. I posted here and made a promise to other forum members that I was going to stop the overeating in it's tracks. It wasn't enough to make a promise to just myself -- those are easier to break. I did this once before, and it worked then, too. It's working this time again.

The first day without the binge is the hardest...it's all about breaking a cycle! Maybe make a pledge to 3FC like I did, if you think it will work for you!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #3  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I just promised on 3FC a couple hours ago that I would stop my binge! We can do it together. I've had a rough couple days as well and I completely understand.

Once you make that decision to stop, you just have to follow through on your promise to yourself. I also put up pictures of myself at a lighter weight to remind myself of my plan.

You can do it! Believe in yourself.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #4  
tinasull

S/C/G: 308/184/150

Height: 5'5"

This is a hard time of the year, just before beautiful Spring. I am told people tend to have the binges now. As soon as it is nice enough outside to get out there and walk, people do better. I am in my third year of dieting, and each year, March and April are so hard for me. But, in May and through the summer, I do really very well. So, if it helps to know this, you are not alone. Many of us are struggling with binging. I am having an awful time right now and managed to gain a bit of weight. NO, I fear that, I have come to far to put it back on! And, I thought if I chewed a lot of sugarless gum, it would help. Then I found out that it makes more saliva and somehow makes you crave the sweets more, so I am trying to do without it. The sugar free jello really helps me on the days when I cannot get enough sweets to satisfy me. LIke today. I know that the afternoons between 3 and 5 pm are my worst, so try to keep myself the busiest then. Good luck. I wonder if we will ever not have to struggle so much. tina
tinasull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Been there, done that. I'm still a work in progress, but doing rather well lately, if I do say so myself. I think the key for me is simply to forgive myself for eating whatever treat I had. In fact, I tell myself that I can have another of the same tomorrow, if I want it, but that I've already had what a "normal" person would eat for today, so I don't want any more right now. (This is called fake it till you make it. Really, I DO want more, but I tell myself that I've had enough for a "normal" person, and that a "normal" person would not have more than what I just had.)

Oh, and I don't try to "make up for" the transgression. If I have a treat, it doesn't affect my next meal - I just go forward according to plan, avoiding falling into the quicksand (because it really does suck you down) of diet mentality.

What turns a snack into a binge for me is often (I now know - wish I'd figured it out years ago) a need to punish myself for eating something "bad" that I was not "allowed" to have. So, if I can make it "not bad", I don't need to punish myself.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

Thanks guys, you were all sooo helpful. I mean I've been bingeing since Friday night, but tomorrow when I wake up I'm going to have a normal breakfast (I'm not going to skip breakfast!) and move on. I agree that this is a hard time of year, especially since I'm in Vermont and it's been snowing for the past week (yeah I thought it was Spring too!!) But tomorrow is a new day and I'm not going to look back only forward!
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #7  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I think sometimes we let a binge turn into days because we rationalize to ourselves with arguments that are untrue.

Well, I already blew it, so I might as well continue.

Well, I'm off the wagon, so it doesn't matter if I get back on tomorrow or next week.

I knew I couldn't do it.

There's no point in even trying.

Etc.

It helps to recognize these thoughts for what they are and to argue with them.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 284.1/270/165

Height: 5'10

Wow. The lightbulb comes on.

This has been my thing as of late - "I don't weigh in until Tuesday, I can afford a little bit of room now" - usually said on Thursday night, innocently, so my husband and I can enjoy a meal out. It never is just Thursday night. It usually carries on until Saturday and often Sunday. Granted I'm better than I used to be with what my food choices and portion sizes are, but it's only been enough so that I'm not losing or gaining.

Here's to taking control!
Athy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote