Old 06-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217.8 / 172 / 140

Default Hello all! WW thinking of trying Atkins...

Hello all! Well, first off - introduction - my name is Keri-Ann and I'm 26. as my sig says, I'm down to 174 - my highest weight was 217 and my lowest was 160. i lost all my weight with weight watchers - and it's been a few years now that I've kept (most) of it off. But it seems to be creeping back up and I'm thinking about trying out a couple of different plans to see which one will truly work for me. I LOVE weight watchers for the most part - but truth be told, sometimes i get sick and tired of counting my points and i get "lazy" - a friend of mine, who's also done WW has told me in the past that she will go between WW & Atkins...so I'm here and I'm curious what is the basics of Atkins? I know there are phases and I'm curious how it works.

Thank you all so much for any information!!!
Ultimategurrl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Hi Keri-Ann
First I'd like to suggest you look at atkins.com (select Atkins Nutritional Approach at the top of the screen) You can learn quite a bit about the plan there. Like any other program to lose weight, you must be willing to stick with it for life. I don't know if it would work well going back and forth between plans. If you lose the weight cutting out carbs and then go back to WW and eat carbs, you will be undermining yourself. I strongly recommend you get Dr Atkins book (library should carry it) and read it cover to cover to understand the program completely.
For me it is easier to think about life without white bread/potatoes/sugar (especially with Splenda on the market) than to count calories or points the rest of my life. Different things work for different people.

Sorry - have to run - DS is fussing
Robin
TravelinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi Kerry!
I agree with Robin. I tried ww and lasted a week. It just wasn't for me. ON the other hand. look how well you have done!
I never thought I could completely give up sweets on Atkins but I'll tall ya, after the first week, it was easy. In fact I'm not even tempted anymore!
I think the weight comes off a lot easier than with ww too.
The best thing I can tell you is to give it a try. but it has to be 110%. there is no little nibbles of this or that as far as forbidden foods go. One taste can knock you out of ketosis. so be sure it's what you want to do. and go for it. I'd say you would have to give it 2 weeks and you'll see how good you feel and how much you have lost.
good luck to you. keep us posted!
maggie
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #4  

I agree. Definitely give it a good 2 weeks for the induction to try out. The two diets are vastly different and it all comes down to what works for you.

Looks like WW works for you. But I know it takes a lot longer on WW to work. With the weight creeping back up, do you know why that is happening? Have you slowed down on your workouts or have you just not been watching what you are eating as much?

I just spoke to a friend who actually did Atkins for 3 months. She lost all the weight she wanted to lose and then went on to WW. It's 3 years later and the weight stayed off. She said that Atkins kicked her butt into getting her body and mind better, and WW helped her to re-eat the things she likes to eat...in moderation. It works for her.

Hope that helps!
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #5  
Baby Steps

I tried WW and it didn't work for me. I was always hungry. It's possible (I imagine) to work Atkins into WW. As with anything, it would just need "tweaking" to work for you DEFINITELY read the book before starting out so you know how to do Atkins properly (it's not just meat and cheese).
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #6  
Susan hockeyfan7

WW didn't work for me either. I found myself using my points for junk food -- after all, as long as you stay within your points total for the day, you are supposed to lose weight.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have lost weight before on WW but it came off slower. I didn't like the counting and measuring everything and eventually went off it and gained my weight back. For me, Atkins is easier and something I can stick to. However, I would be afraid to go off Atkins and switch to WW for fear that adding back carbs would be too tempting and cause me to gain. Good luck in whatever you decide and keep us posted on how you are doing.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Welcome!!

Keri-Ann!!!
You've come to a great place for advice & support!!!

I am going to be honest with you, I don't have the first clue about WW. I've been on Atkins for a little over 2 years. TravelinGal is 100% correct in what she said "Like any other program to lose weight, you must be willing to stick with it for life." This is a common misconception people have, they think of the eating plan they have chosen as a "diet"...something they can go off of once they've lost the weight. To be successful requires a lifestyle change.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #9  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

I did WW at home and lost a little weight on the program (down to 162 from 175) - but I didn't have any support and I was ALWAYS hungry. I was like Susan too, I would use my flex points for chocolate bars each week.

Did it not help you to switch to their CORE program so as to not be counting a while. CORE is similar to the first two weeks of Atkins except you don't get any flex points you just have to stick to the menu.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote