Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #16  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Wow--this is a super-old thread that got revived (from 2006!). I personally like to use the ketostix because they work for me, and keep me honest. Depending on the time of day, I'm varying degrees of "darkness" on the sticks--dark first thing in the morning, and barely pink enough to be "trace" in the afternoon if I'm very hydrated. I've decided that in the AM first thing is the best time to check if I'm still there.

For me, if I get knocked out of ketosis, 2 or 3 days of induction has me back. Which is a really good reason to take Dr. A's advice and stick to the plan--and not blow your diet on the weekends. If you spend 2 days off plan, and it takes 3 to get back into ketosis, you're only spending 2-3 days a week in fat-burning mode. I only mention this because I used to be a weekend binger--I'd do great ALL week, Sunday night would roll around and I'd order Dominoes and eat oreos, y'know? These days I don't do that and it's making all the difference for me.

Last edited by Azure; 04-14-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #17  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

I'm opposite of Azure. Mine are Trace amounts in the morning and get pink in the evenings. Ketosis are like pregnancy tests (you are or you aren't) if it detects anything you are ketosis. The different shades..pink to purple.. mainly mean how hydrated you are. If you drink a lot of water it is most likely going to be light pink.
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #18  

I just bought ketone strips today and am limiting carbs to 20 a day. It is the first day and I am already feeling a little sick. I tested when I bought the strips this morning and just did it again. There is a slight change in the strip already. I dont like the way I feel. Can anyone tell me if this feeling is normal and does it go away?I weigh 230 and am so fat it is uncomfortable. i have to lose weight bc my blood sugar is at the point I have to take medication if I dont get it down now.
SherriLAbreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherriLAbreu View Post
I just bought ketone strips today and am limiting carbs to 20 a day. It is the first day and I am already feeling a little sick. I tested when I bought the strips this morning and just did it again. There is a slight change in the strip already. I dont like the way I feel. Can anyone tell me if this feeling is normal and does it go away?I weigh 230 and am so fat it is uncomfortable. i have to lose weight bc my blood sugar is at the point I have to take medication if I dont get it down now.
Sherrit - I feel lousy for the first 2-3 days of induction but IT PASSES!!!

This is normal - Just hang in there!
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #20  

S/C/G: Goal: 140

I agree, the Atkins "flu" is actually a good thing, it's a sign your body is detoxing and preparing for ketosis. Hang in there, it WILL pass.

Sherri - we have a lot in common. I started on 1/4/10 at 233lbs - yikes. My doctor scolded me and told me if I didn't lose weight I was going to have to start meds for type 2 diabetes. So far I have lost 33 pounds and I am at 200 now, my doc says I should weigh 127-140...
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #21  
My Diet Journey

S/C/G: 292/262/175

Height: 5'9

Default I'm in the same boat..

I started a low carb diet on Feb 19 and until yesterday i was on kitosis, but i decided to cheat on my diet and i ate some chicken teriaky and guess what, it kicked me out of ketosis... So i'm going carb free for the next few days so i can go back to it again, i hope it does not take to long.
Milete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #22  

Hi, "Really" hoping someone out there can help me. I am super discouraged , i have been on atkins for 7 weeks now, I have only lost a total of 12 pounds, and this week upon weighing i have gained 3 1/2 pounds eating exactly the same way:
Breakfast: 2 eggs, turkey bacon
Lunch: Meat/cheese
Dinner: Salad/Ranch dressing
Atkins Bars: 2 a day
Water/ and one to two diet dr peppers
Im really unclear about how many calories a day i should be eating or if i am suppose to count them, I average about 700-800 calories a day, I have not been doing any excercise as of yet due to i feel really "weak" most of the time, I dont understand if i am suppose to count how much fat I eat a day, or if i am suppose to eat as much as i can, the only real benefit i have seen is that i am not hungry like i usually am when i go on a diet. I did get the ketosis strip, and after about 3 day i am in the middle range for ketosis, but i have gained 3 1/2 pounds so I am really confused????? I am so desperate to lose my weight, I weigh 186 and am trying to get back to 140---maybe this diet is not for everyone??? someone Please help me!!!!!!!!
sissybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #23  

ps... I am not eating 20 carbs a day, am I suppose to eat minimum of 20 carbs a day, or is it ok to eat less than 20? is it important to eat 10-15 carbs in vegetables a day, and does it matter how much ranch dressing I eat? someone told me that the key to this diet is Fat intake, so i have been drenching my salad in ranch dressing, cooking my eggs in butter, and eating alot of cheese .
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 203/199/130

Make sure you aren't having more than 4 ounces of cheese a day. I would also ditch the bars and try a different snack.
Dolly Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #25  

Thank you. I have heard and read so many different things...
Could you tell me if: I need to be counting calories, fat , and carbs?
Why I gained 3 1/2 pounds?
That puts me at a total weight loss in 7 weeks of only 8 lbs, and from what I am reading on this forum, everyone is losing much more? any suggestions?
Could you give me a typical day of food for you that keep you in ketosis and losing weight???
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 203/199/130

I only count carbs and keep them under 20 grams. The bars stall a lot of people that is what I would tweak first
Dolly Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #27  

I don't know if I am eating to much fat, or not enough...
I don't know if I am suppose to be counting my calories or just eating as least as I can...
I don't know if I am suppose to eat 20 carbs a day or if I can eat way less...
I don't know if I am eating enough vegetables in one salad or if I should be eating more...

Please Help...
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #28  

Tks, I can do that, I am not a big meat eater, so could you give me an example of what you eat through out the day? When I told a previous atkins dieter what I was eating they told me I was not eating enough fat, so I increased my fat intake, and now I am reading on this forum that to much fat will be stored as well???
Old 09-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #29  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

My first suggestion would be reading the book ( Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions ). It is critical to understand exactly how & why this plan, when done correctly, works.
Induction is 20 net carbs per day ( net carbs are total carbs minus dietary fiber ). 12 - 15 of those carbs should be coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. Cheese is limited to no more than 4 ozs. per day and only certain varieties. Salad dressing should be only 2 Tbsp and it should be no more than 2 carbs per serving.
Atkins bars are a no-no for Induction even though they are marketed as being "appropriate for Induction". You may want to read this for a better understanding
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
A typical day's Induction should look like this:
Breakfast : Eggs cooked in butter topped with 1 oz. cheese, bacon ( 3 strips )
Lunch: Salad topped with grilled chicken, 2 Tbsp. full fat ranch dressing. I also add veggies to my salad - broccoli, green beans, zucchini etc.
Dinner: Some type of beef, pork, poultry or fish, green veggie with butter, small salad with 2 Tbsp dressing.
Be sure you are drinking plenty of water and staying away from artificial sweeteners.
Don't eat anything not on the acceptable foods list.
Walk for exercise.
I hope this helps!
All the best to you!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 10-01-2013 at 06:11 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

You might also read carefully the label of your salad dressing - many are full of sugars and if you're putting a lot on your salad you could be sneaking in a lot of carbs. It's easy to make your own salad dressing, and then you know what's in it.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote