3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Weekly Chat Feb 6 - Feb 12 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/75329-weekly-chat-feb-6-feb-12-a.html)

SherryA 02-07-2006 12:32 PM

Well I agree that the scale can be capricious, it can not totally reflect what is going on, but I won't make the choice to stay off of it, because when I do that, I'm not as focused on losing. To me knowledge is power, and when I ignore the knowledge that the scale provides, I also tend to start gaining my weight back.

There was a thread on this forum about studies done that said the most successful weight loss was from people who weighed every day. Of course if it makes you want to give up, that probably isn't good advice for you. For me it makes me determined to try harder, to reach that next goal sooner and to adjust or adapt whatever I'm doing to make sure that I DO reach the next goal.

Of course, it also frustrates me a little when I see a morning weight that is higher than my evening weight. I actually saw 249 last night, but then drank some water and ate a meal and today it is higher. Oh well. No problem it will come off when it is ready. Hopefully sooner rather than later, I really do want to make my Valentine's Day goal.

I have a day planner as my purse. I decided I was tired of carrying around everyone's junk, and this thing is perfect. It has room for everything in need as well as a calendar. On the calendar I set small goals for myself. I want to be in the 100 somethings by July 7th when my family and I will be getting together again. So I divided the time between now and then and set for myself "goals" of where I must be by at each half, quarter point etc, so that I can stay on track toward that goal. I think it is manageable. I'm hoping anyway.

At this point though I think I need to up my calories. I haven't been eating much lately (not really hungry) and I think I've been slowing down my metabolism.

So Robin do you have asthma? You said the exercise bike was a bit much on your lungs? You might do an internet search on something called "Buteyko". My daughter has asthma and I was looking for something to "heal" her from it. This method is the one thing that has made the most sense for me in everything I've tried to find. It indicates that there is a natural reason why asthma sufferers get asthma attacks and that it is just the body's natural response to too much loss of carbon dioxide. The theory is that asthma sufferers breathe incorrectly actually hyperventilate almost all the time. A lot of the time they are chest breathers rather than breathing into the abdomen, and as such they are putting their bodies under extra stress. Aerobics (like the exercise bike) can cause "exercise induced asthma", particularly if you are already breathing incorrectly.

Anyway check it out. It helped my daughter. She hardly ever has asthma attacks anymore, and I benefitted from the method too. My daughter is off all medications, and I no longer have the panic attacks or as many allergies as I used to have. Knowledge is power. Too many medical doctors treat symptions when they don't know the real cause of something.

RobinW 02-07-2006 02:22 PM

yup, Ive had asthma since I was 8...back then they didnt have medications for it..I basically had to suffer thru it. But what is happening with my lungs at the moment is caused by this bug I had caught, and that mixed with my asthma is making everything quite difficult. My asthma has been undercontrol since I met my dh, and I only refill my inhaler once every 2 yrs...so Im doing great. This is why I hate catching colds or any type of bug..it settles in my lungs and messes me up. Otherwise Im good to go for just about anything.

coffeeaddict 02-07-2006 07:42 PM

everyone with the scale thing if you weigh your self every day and then average the weights that is what you weigh for the week. That way you don't look at as going up and down and up and down. Just an idea I only weigh my self every 4 days... by the way I lost 4 more lbs. wooohooo....

As for the Colorado thing I lived in Grand Junction but we moved back to Memphis a year ago I just forgot to update my info page I will get to that....

As for valentines for the DH silk boxers.... and I am having them wrapped and sent to his work..haha...no just kidding but I should.

RobinW 02-07-2006 09:00 PM

WTG on the 4lbs Wendy!! :cb: Great job!

For v-day, I buy a bag of white lindt chocolate truffles, attach one of those kids valentine cards to each one, and hide them all over the house in places dh will find them. (in his coat pocket, tucked under his pillow, places like that) Usually takes about 2 weeks for him to find them all :lol: I have a "Im naked under this shirt" shirt for him ;) Then I think a nice supper, with his fav dessert. We dont go out for dinner on that day, its just too busy. For my dd, I always pick up a few things, because I dont think valentines day is just for lovers. I found a white elephant with a pink bow on its head at Cardsmart....just too cute. Because she just finished a project on elephants, and some chocolates too. Nothing big and fancy, just thoughtful :)

I didnt end up going to the gym, what ever I have is dragging :( I ended up sleeping this afternoon for about 2 hrs!! Oh well....there is always tomorrow.

Tennessee 02-07-2006 09:59 PM

I have no loved one *sniff* but maybe next year :) And on that note: Robin, you say there are way too many men at the gym? What Gym? Where? Find me a good one, k? LOL I do send cards to my niece and nephew, and of course to my Mom and Dad.

I'm still working with the Callanetics videos, and I am really beginning to feel a difference. I'm feeling less tight\tense more flexable already - yeah! Flexabillity was one of my goals, along with better balance, strength, and of course, firming up the jiggles.

I'm still on scale restriction till next Monday, and I'm dying to know how I'm doing. It's tough to stay away from it, but I really was getting obsessed. I hope you'll join me in my resolve to stay away Sherry!

Sunday went well *whew* I was worried about my ability to stay on track around all the munchie, crunchie, sweet and yummies. As it turned out, people were more interested in what I was eating than vice-versa. The peanut butter\chocolate\oatmeal cookies almost got me because they looked so good, but I kept telling myself they didn't look as good as I'm going to look in a bathing suit come Summer LOL

I hope you're all having a great OP week!

nasus40 02-08-2006 07:19 AM

For V-day hubby is going to get me!!! :blush: If i do not fall asleep! :rolleyes:

Long day at work yesterday and I got home 10:30 and ate pizza >>>>> caught you didn't I I just ate the toppings off about 8 slices and Yumm Dipped them in blue chese and it was so guilt free I did not miss the crust which I loved.

No time for personals but did read all. great job on those that are doing so good. And hang in there that the scale is not moving. mine is stubborn I do weigh every day (usually twice) but also know that water does play a bit roll in what it says daily. I do not cringe when it goes up knowing that I did not eat more but that salt will raise it is also a judge of when TOM is going to be here. I usually whoosh just before then gain it all back. in fluid then have it all gone when I am done. so it is a good mile stone for me.

beckamundo 02-08-2006 07:27 AM

Morning all!
I just started my cosmetology apprenticeship yesterday so it is gonna be hit or miss for me in here. The cold is still hanging on. I'm w/so many of you on that spring can't get here soon enough. I keep thinking this cold/bug is gone and a couple days/a week later it rears it's ugly head later. It's frustrating. I haven't been able to exercise in 2 weeks. It stinks. I did good w/food yesterday. I'm w/Sherry also, I weigh daily. It gives me motivation and helps me gage things. I think it is like the 'diet' choice. There are so many people that take part in this site and w/all the different forums we are all different and what works for me, may not work for someone else. We are all heading towards a goal and however we get there, that is healthy :) is what we need to do. I have tried to not weigh myself daily, but I just can't. I have done the measuring thing, but it just doesn't do it for me. Ok, now I am rambling. Sorry all!! Well I'm out of here, got to get ready for my youngest dd's dr.'s appt. (please say a prayer-i'll explain more later) and then back to the salon for more work. :) Have a great & OP day friends!!

bnbsmommy1 02-08-2006 09:47 AM

Sherry: interesting fact about the weighing daily, I weigh AT LEAST
twice daily, when I don't weigh the pounds start piling on...

RobinW: I read on this board somewhere that the SECOND you try to talk
yourself out of exercising you should get up and go RIGHT THEN before you
end up actually not going....of course I need to take my own advise..

Robin: :wave:

coffeeaddict: way to go on the 4 pounds!!!

Tenn: Scale restriction *LOL* That's a cute way to put it! I can't wait
to see how much you've lost!

becka: cosmetology sounds so fun!! I hope your dd's appt. went well

the scale showed a 2 pound loss this morning so of course the pessimest in me wonders if it is because I haven't exercised in 4 days. Is it the muscle going away?? I have been eating good and drinking my water but when 2 pounds leaves with no exercise at all it kinda freaks me out.

Have an awesome day girls!!

Lacey

RobinW 02-08-2006 10:47 AM

Good Morning :bubbles:

Lacey~ you're right about the exercise. I have to just do it and not think about it.....if I think about it, I can talk myself out of it in a split second :lol: Im better today, so I'll go.

Sue~ "if you can stay awake" ? :lol3: :rofl: ME TOO!!!! Evening nookie is very rare around here :lol: neither of us can stay awake long enough.....we have to make early to bed appointments ;)

Tenn~ lots and I mean lots of men!!!! In the weight room, there were only 3 women....one was me!! :dizzy: One of the other women there was very nicely toned, I watched her instead :lol: Thought to myself, I want arms like her!! Everyone was friendly enough, and one inparticular was very cute, if you're into the older Mr. Clean lookin' kinda guy like me :lol: Want a tour?

Bec~ good luck at the dr's with your dd

Ive lost all patience with this cold thingy I have....its time for it to be gone!! Im going to go to the gym today, get some cardio in, and maybe a leg workout. Im still pretty sore from the last one, but thats ok. Not much else happening around here. Still fighting with myself and the food....food is winning :( I'll get there!

Have a great day ladies.

SherryA 02-08-2006 11:12 AM

Lacey, Your not exercising for a few days and the 2 pound weight loss may be connected, but not in the way you are thinking. Your muscle isn't going away, but the water that you gain while exercising (because your muscles need it) is.

When I was doing Body for Life exercise I had kind of the same thing happen. I had been doing Atkins prior to starting and after starting it found that I couldn't stick to Atkins while working out that hard. My scale went up and stayed up most of the time while I was working out so hard. Then when I was done with the 12 weeks it took about another week or so after that and getting back on Atkins before I saw the scale drop to the weight it had been before I started. I'm sure it was the water going away. I had much more muscle, and I didn't lose the muscle. But I had lost fat and a clothing size and no pounds. My fat calipers indicated that I had lost enough fat to correspond to about 15 pounds of fat lost, so I just figured I must have gained something like that in muscle. I can't be sure of that, but it was how I had to look at it after that intense of a workout session. (12 weeks 6 days a week).

But muscle does hold onto water while you are actively working out. So when you start working out again, you will likely see those 2 pounds back. And will likely lose it again after you stop. Muscle doesn't "go away" that fast once youve gained it though so you don't have to worry about that part of it.

hockeyfan7 02-08-2006 03:50 PM

Hi all! I'm sitting here at work trying not to fall asleep. I was up too late last night at a hockey game. Didn't get to bed until 11:30 and then had to be up at 5:30 to get to the gym on time.

Sherry, I weigh every day too. Same time every morning in the same clothes -- well not the very same ones, but I have a bunch of Just My Size t-shirts and shorts for the gym that I am wearing. I read in several magazines over the past month that studies have shown that those who weigh daily lose more and keep it off.

It was really hard to pass up the popcorn at the hockey game last night. I love popcorn. Maybe I just need to get a cup of the butter stuff and put some salt in that and eat it with a spoon :lol: :T

There is an Asian restaurant up the road from my office that still has the Christmas wreaths hanging on the door -- someone should tell them it's almost Valentine's Day!

For Valentine's Day, we are going to a seafood restaurant downtown we have both wanted to try. Crab legs, here I come! I also love shrimp and lobster. I don't allow DH to buy me flowers -- they are ridiculously priced. It was OK when we were dating and it was his money, but now that we are married and it's mine . . .

lady_adnerb 02-08-2006 04:03 PM

Popping in. My back is KILLING me. No, I didn't exercise yesterday (or today) and only got a little water in. But eating was better. I'll start there. And HOPEFULLY this stupid backache goes away so I can get some exercise in. I did a few stretching exercises while lying on the floor to try and get the kinks out of it. Ever have it where it feels like your hips and such are in a vice and pain goes down your legs and you can barely stand?? Well, that's what's going on. ARGH! What next?!?!?!?!

hockeyfan7 02-08-2006 04:07 PM

Brenda, my personal trainer says to stretch, stretch, stretch. Also a heating pad and some ibuprofen or naproxin sodium. Did you just overwork it?

bnbsmommy1 02-08-2006 06:30 PM

Brenda,
Sounds like sciatica to me, but I'm no doctor you need to be SUPER careful right now or you can seriously damage yourself NO STRETCHING!!!! As a person who had this for 13 years and finally had to have surgery, I know where you're coming from. Try lying on your side, don't lift anything heavy and the advise that I wish someone would've given me is to do NO strenuous exercises...stick to walking if you feel the need to be aerobic...no sit-ups or crunches...I truly hope it gets better. Does
your thigh hurt super bad too? Take it easy girl!!

If it doesn't go away soon be sure to visit your doctor :)

Lacey

nasus40 02-08-2006 09:29 PM

I have had sciatica since the kids it flaired up really bad last year, and for about 6 weeks I had cramps (or so I thought) in my thighs were in terrible cramp/ discomfort. and nothing helped No exercise during that time and finally it went. how I hurt it was stupid at 230 lbs one should not do one of thos hang by the arms to do a crunch, then continue to do lower ext workouts, then lean over to lift a resdent on the toilet. yea pretty stupid on my part. but anyways I know the story any back pain in nothing to take lightly rest untill it is OK then take it easy.