Old 11-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #1  
TemporaryFatChick

Default Why did you decide to do this?

I'm really interested to know why you decided to start Atkins the very first time you started out. Not just choosing the WOE itself, but what happened to make you start a new diet\WOE at all? Do you remember the whys? What your original goals were? I know we all have a story, and I'd love to hear yours!

Y'all are going to think I've lost my mind, but I'm really excited about getting weighed when I go to the Dr. tomorrow. Tomorrow will be exactly 4 weeks since the faithful visit that convinced me I had to do something. I thought the number on the scale was bad (I couldn't believe it), but then I saw "morbidly obese" written in my chart, and to top it off, the office called and said that they wanted to get fasting blood work because my sugar was "a little higher than it should be". I cried. I prayed. I just knew that I had to do something. I had been thinking of starting something in January, but after that, I knew it just couldn't wait - I didn't want to start the new year with even MORE weight to loose. Both of my parents are diabetics, as was one of my sisters (when she lost 150 pounds it went away), and I know what a terrible disease that is. Anyway, those things added to the fact that I've felt tired and kinda blah for a long time convinced me it was time to take charge.

I picked Atkins because it's so strict. I've lost some weight over the years, but never have been able to stay with it. Weight Watchers was great, but you can "cheat", and a little here, a little there, and before you know it you aren't on the diet anymore! When I read Atkins, a light went off in my head. THAT'S why I feel like crap, why I droop at 3:00 every day, why I crave bread and potatoes and sweets - Aha!

So that's my story, I hope you all will choose to share yours!

Stacy
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default my story....

Ive struggled with my weight since about age 15. But it was after my daughter was born that strange things started to happen. During the pregnancy I only gained about 33lbs. BUT.....within 6 months I had gained 100lbs (no thats not a typo) It scared me so bad I went to the doctor, and they couldnt explain it. My biggest complaint was "Why am I craving sugar so bad" and it was bad! I was drinking regular coke like we drink water now!

Of course because of all the sugar in my system, I was having severe troubles with yeast. The dr, had me on some sort of pill that kills the yeast all thru out my body. But it wasnt solving any problems.

I took to the internet and started researching, went to a homeopathic dr and made some major changes. When I started to feel better I started looking into diets (the sugar cravings werent so bad by then) and at the time I found a few, and tried them.....but it was protein power that got the first 100lbs off. I felt amazing....relatives that hadnt seen me in a couple years were floored when they seen me.

When I started to put it back on (the first time) I couldnt find my protein power book, and when I went to the library to get it, I couldnt find it. I came across the atkins and thought Id give it a try. Its what I fall back on all the time, because its easy to remember.

So, I started this woe because I was scared, and I wasnt getting any answers from the professionals. I fixed it myself
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 PM   #3  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

my reasons are many. I had two slipped disks which caused me severe pain at all times, finally, at 250, they decided to 'give out' if you will and surgery was required or I would not be able to walk.

About 3 weeks after surgery, my mom was diagnosed with diabetes. (my entire family has diabetes). Then when I started working again (as a nurse) I broke the doctors stool twice just by sitting on it, and the total horror of having that happened added with the fact that my 11 year old was embarased having me at any of her school events all piled together and I went to the doctor to see if there was something I could do.

My doctor was actually the person to suggest atkins. I had always thought it was just another flash in the pan diet. But after joining several atkins groups and seeing the pounds fall off of everyone, I decided to try it.

The one thing I LOVE about this way of life is that it's so clearly planned out. I need that in my life. Eat this, don't eat that.
Of course there are different foods that our bodies allow or won't allow, but after a while you figure it out.
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/156/128

Height: 5'3"

My entire family is severely obese on my mom's side. I grew up with a fat mom, a fat grandmother and fat aunts. It's like it was written in the stars for me to be a bigger individual when I became an adult, because of course none of these women were overweight as children. I struggled with my weight in high school and college, but it was the same 15 lbs and it really wasn't that bad, but I was 140 lbs at 5'2" when all my friends were 110 lbs. I chalked it all up to being athletically built. I had my first daughter at 22 and gained 60 lbs with the pregnancy lost all but 10. Had my second daughter at 24 and gained 50 lbs with the pregnancy and only lost 30. So here I was 30 lbs heavier in just two years. The ten lb a year thing kept ringing in my head. If I kept on this track I would go from 140 lbs to 200 lbs by the time I turn 27. I'm trying to re-write my fate as a "fat chick". Plus on top of it I'm too broke to buy fat clothes, I've been wearing maternity clothes for three years and it's time for them to burn!
I chose Atkins because my dad has lost fifty lbs doing it and I've seen how successful he's been. My mom tries to do it, but cheats an awful lot. She lost 30 lbs to begin with but has plateaued and basically isn't trying to get past the plateau.
aovercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 AM   #5  

I think this is a very important, and timely, topic of discussion.

To answer your question: I specificly remember my AHA! moment. I was watching Rachel & Richard Heller on Oprah's show discussing their book The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and they were describing various habits/behaviors/reactions that were EXACTLY how I had felt/reacted with and to food for my whole adult life. I couldn't beleive it! It was me! _I_ am a Carb Addict - true blue, to-the-bone, til the day I die. Carbs are a drug to me and I react with all the addiction behaviors the same way. And in the science of true carb addiction carbs ARE a drug to my body and my mind and body chemically react in such a way that no amount of will power, etc. can overcome it. So anyway, there I was, sitting on my couch, hearing about myself on TV. I was dumbfounded by it all. I had just thought I was weak with no resolve, etc. I went out the next day and bought the book. I started working with the new way of eating, lost almost 15 lbs. You must understand - I am 5'6" and was 152 lbs. when I started. The weight was not the big thing for me. Oh sure, I would like to be back around 135 and all but the fact that I had no control over food cravings, had that stupid 'carb voice' in my head ALL THE TIME, could never make good food choices, no energy & tired all the time, moody, bad skin, etc. - THOSE were the things that were tearing me apart. When I practice clean low carb WOE, I feel like I'm on top of the world. In complete control of myself and it is the best feeling on earth.

In 12-step programs they talk about addicts that are 'out there'. People that had gotten clean and worked the program sucessfully but then had a slip and haven't found their way back to the program. Well, I'm Kel and I'm a Carb Addict. I'm 'out there' right now but I'm working on getting back here - I want to feel 'in control' again.

Kel
Ms Spotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

All your stories are SO powerful they brought tears to my eyes!!

I've basically been on diets all my life. When I was younger I was chubby but not obese. My mom was always putting me on whatever diet she was on. My sisters teased me because I was the "chunky" one. I look back and now think "well, at least I never was the one to get hand-me-downs" Anyway, when I went to high school I fell into a crowd that smoked...so I did too. Between smoking and having a younger boyfriend (by 3 years) we walked A LOT. So weight fell off. When I graduated I weighed 115 pounds..and my mom threatened to take me to the doctor for annorexia (hm, guess they didn't see the fat on the belly yet or the thights that rubbed together, and yes, I have pictures of them doing it so I'm not immagining it!). So there was no winning with the family. They ALL said I was too skinny (now it's like, jealous were they?). Anyway, now once again I'm the "chunky" one in the family. The breaking point was seeing a picture of me that was taken at my grandparents anniversary. You couldn't see my chin definition, couldn't tell I had cheeks, I couldn't see my toes over my boobs (my gosh they were HUGE!! And they're NOT usually that big. I debated having them surgically reduced!!) OR my belly. Shoot, I didn't have energy to do ANYTHING. Well, after complaining about my weight and always saying I was Shamu's cousin....my sister told me to try Atkins because her FIL was very successful at it. So I bought the book. The first pages said "Give us 2 weeks and we CAN take off some of your weight." I thought, well, I tried "portion control", weight watchers, slim fast, etc...what have I got to lose for 2 weeks? OMG I can't BELIEVE how incredible it was! I went from 173 pounds to 140!! It was AWESOME!! And then having my mom say "well, if BRENDA can lose it on Atkins I should be able to" Well, that wasn't very nice..but coming from my mom expected! My disappointment is in myself for not having KEPT it all off. I'm 13 pounds over what I weighed last summer ('04)...and I'm determined to get back to it!!!! And then STICK to it!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote